Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 09:19 AM

259 posts, read 151,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Doesn't matter how healthy one eats if enough exercise is not included then food just sits, so school cuts P.E. activity. Putting soda and chip machines in the schools was brilliant thinking!
Healthy eating habits are important whether you have a physical activity or you don't.

Quote:
Is air or the sun too dangerous?
The sun? Of course it could be dangerous. Sunburns and heat exhaustion can kill your kids. Didn't know that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 09:19 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,943,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
You take responsibility. But many parents don't. Does that mean we should ignore the children of those wo don't and let them go hungry at lunch?
I think if we seeked more into the parents lives you'd find neglect, more than can't afford it. My boys would have never starved, I didn't have them to let that happen. People need to know what would you do if the cupboards are bare.

From what I've seen it's not only poor people who scam the system people with money on paper do the same thing. I know people who drive nice cars and fancy homes qualifying for lunch programs for their kids. If people knew the money wasn't there so easily, maybe, we'd have better population control and less corruption.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:23 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,168,172 times
Quote:
I think if we seeked more into the parents lives you'd find neglect, more than can't afford it. My boys would have never starved, I didn't have them to let that happen. People need to know what would you do if the cupboards are bare.

From what I've seen it's not only poor people who scam the system people with money on paper do the same thing. I know people who drive nice cars and fancy homes qualifying for lunch programs for their kids. If people knew the money wasn't there so easily, maybe, we'd have better population control and less corruption.
Yet in the meantime, let the kids go hungry?

Old 03-08-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberal01 View Post
Healthy eating habits are important whether you have a physical activity or you don't.
Physical activity is necessary for kids, along with healthy eating it goes hand in hand.

Quote:
The sun? Of course it could be dangerous. Sunburns and heat exhaustion can kill your kids. Didn't know that?
So, you prefer your Vitamin D in pill form, so liberal of you!

Old 03-08-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Yet in the meantime, let the kids go hungry?
No, the parents are and this is grounds for neglect. Possible child abuse.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:44 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,847,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You need to go back and reread this entire thread.....

Many have said this, because the child is hungry and not fed at the house, the teachers scores will be bad and get a bad report......

In the end, it's the parents responsibility to feed their child...not the schools.

Yes, I also had school lunch, way back in the early 70's....however, I still paid for it...lunch only....no breakfast....no after school snacks...

But guess what, my parents ensured that I was fed before school and after school, if I did not like the school lunch they were serving, I asked my PARENTS to make me a bag lunch....
If you are writing about my posts, I would note that I didn't say it was the teacher's fault, but that the teacher does get blamed for the poor student performance. Malnutrition is one of the factors that can result in poor student performance. The schools and teachers can't force parents to feed or take care of their children. Nor is every parent, for various reasons, in a position to always take care of their children.

It may not be the schools responsibility to feed a child, but must schools and teachers understand that the job of educating a child is easier when a child is well fed.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:54 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,873,743 times
Hard boiled eggs require too large an expenditure of fossil fuels, and they can be hurled at other students.

And worse, hard boiled eggs are NOT corporatist food.

To poison an egg, you'd have to poison the chicken.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:57 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
If you are writing about my posts, I would note that I didn't say it was the teacher's fault, but that the teacher does get blamed for the poor student performance. Malnutrition is one of the factors that can result in poor student performance. The schools and teachers can't force parents to feed or take care of their children. Nor is every parent, for various reasons, in a position to always take care of their children.

It may not be the schools responsibility to feed a child, but must schools and teachers understand that the job of educating a child is easier when a child is well fed.
And just how many American children are suffering from malnutrition ?
Not a lot of parents being charged with child abuse here.

We have an obesity problem in America, not one of malnutrition.

We have been feeding the kids at school for decades and our student performance is declining, not improving.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberal01 View Post

So you load the trays up with healthy food and pat yourself on the back for a "job well done".

Now what about all that healthy food that is being thrown out instead of eaten ?

Old 03-08-2014, 10:01 AM

259 posts, read 151,537 times
Quote:
Physical activity is necessary for kids, along with healthy eating it goes hand in hand.
I agree. Is this a reason to ignore healthy eating habits?

Quote:
So, you prefer your Vitamin D in pill form, so liberal of you!
No, I love the beach but melanoma is not on my list of summer experiences.
Dude, stop pretending that you don't know that exposure to sun CAN be deadly if not because of cancer than because of heat strokes and sun burns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies