Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 10:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What is it you don't understand, or are you being deliberately obtuse?

I agree with someone who said upthread that for all that many conservatives, and more than a few liberals as well, want to restrict what adults can buy with foodstamps, in some cases very draconianly to dried beans, rice, canned fruits and vegetables, etc, they want the school lunch program to serve any old crap.

The RW has made a mockery of the term "personal responsibility".
I don't see that the left has done any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 10:22 AM

259 posts, read 151,537 times
Kids have to be taught what's good for them. What would you rather do? Serve them pizzas so they can get fat? They'll get used to fresh fruit and vitamins. My mother always made me eat my veggies and fresh fruit. Looking back now I am grateful for it, even though I hated it then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I've posted that I'm in school and I do lunch duty.

Yesterday it was fruit cups and oranges that got thrown out uneaten.
I'm all for healthy foods but the kids don't get to choose if they don't want it.
One or the other is put on their tray regardless.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:23 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times
Quote:
I've posted that I'm in school and I do lunch duty.

Yesterday it was fruit cups and oranges that got thrown out uneaten.
I'm all for healthy foods but the kids don't get to choose if they don't want it.
One or the other is put on their tray regardless.
I don't know if it is true but my neighbor told me (before the news came out) that her son got in trouble for trying to bring his apple home. He was told if you don't want it throw it away.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:23 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,422,510 times
All those obese "People of Wal-Mart" had to get their start somewhere.

Throwing away perfectly good food is sick. I'm sure someone has already mentioned giving it to shelters.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberal01 View Post
Kids have to be taught what's good for them. What would you rather do? Serve them pizzas so they can get fat? They'll get used to fresh fruit and vitamins.
There's no teaching being done on the cafeteria line.
The food is put on the trays.

I spoke to some students yesterday and they have never had an orange.
12 year olds that have never had an orange.

I would have thrown out that fruit cup myself.
It's nothing like the fruit cups you see in the supermarket.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
I don't see that the left has done any better.
About what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberal01 View Post
Kids have to be taught what's good for them. What would you rather do? Serve them pizzas so they can get fat? They'll get used to fresh fruit and vitamins.
Actually, a good pizza can be quite nutritious. I could swear I posted some nutrition facts from Pizza Hut on this thread, or some other thread recently. A homemade pizza, such as can be made in a school kitchen can be even better. You can watch the fat content by avoiding pepperoni, sausage and other fatty meats, using low or lower-fat cheeses (and limiting the amount). You can load it up with veggies.

I work at a facility that has a vegetarian cafeteria. They have pizza every day, with lots of veggies. I don't often get it, but it's good.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
There's no teaching being done on the cafeteria line.
The food is put on the trays.
That's what my mother did, she just put veggies and fruit on my plate, without asking or explaining.
Thank you, Mother.

Quote:
I spoke to some students yesterday and they have never had an orange.
12 year olds that have never had an orange..
Thank you. One more reason this program is so important. If parents fail to give their kids proper food than the school has to do it.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I don't know if it is true but my neighbor told me (before the news came out) that her son got in trouble for trying to bring his apple home. He was told if you don't want it throw it away.
It's more about letting food go outside the cafeteria than letting him bring it home.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:32 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
All those obese "People of Wal-Mart" had to get their start somewhere.

Throwing away perfectly good food is sick. I'm sure someone has already mentioned giving it to shelters.
Here in schools, they give the kids so much and many of the kids just bring candy to eat, the pig farmers pick up the discarded food.

It's an incredible waste of taxpayer dollars.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
About what?
Actually, a good pizza can be quite nutritious. I could swear I posted some nutrition facts from Pizza Hut on this thread, or some other thread recently. A homemade pizza, such as can be made in a school kitchen can be even better. You can watch the fat content by avoiding pepperoni, sausage and other fatty meats, using low or lower-fat cheeses (and limiting the amount). You can load it up with veggies.
Two pounds of beef are very nutritious, too. Pizza, especially the cheese on it is pretty bad. I love pizza but my 10 yo gets pizza only sporadically. At home. The school should give kids a nutritious and balanced diet. Spoiling kids with sweets, pizzas and burgers should be left to parents.

Quote:
I work at a facility that has a vegetarian cafeteria. They have pizza every day, with lots of veggies. I don't often get it, but it's good.
Just because a dish is vegetarian doesn't mean it's automatically healthy.... Try drinking a bottle of canola oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies