Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2014, 05:17 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,755,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The University of Alabama is a public university. Even if a frat uses off campus housing, they are recognized student organizations. They use campus buildings for events and are directly associated with the school. The school DOES have jurisdiction over the frat. If the frat doesn't want to comply - they can be disassociated from the school.
I know, I was just making a statement, but did find this among the Civil Rights Act...

Note the exemption of private clubs...

Title II

"Outlawed discrimination based on race, color, religion or national origin in
hotels, motels, restaurants, theaters, and all other public accommodations
engaged in interstate commerce; exempted private clubs without defining the term
private"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 06:06 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,755,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
No. I pick and chose my battles to maximize the most optimal results.

I could care less about whether Buffy and Muffy Snottyspoon want women of color in their sorority. A black co-ed would benefit much more from the powerful legacy of the "Divine Nine" than she would from the white sororities which have no use beyond the 4 year college experience. With black sororities women are sorors and sisters for LIFE. The connection amongst black sorors is generational and the bond is far deeper than an member of a white sorority could even hope to imagine.

White girls at the University of Alabama can keep their glorified bake sale/ski trip/frat boy 'd' chasing social clubs because black women have the more powerful organizations in our fraternities and sororities.
Stereotype much?

Old 04-01-2014, 10:49 AM

19 posts, read 47,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Freedom has a price for some.

The black frat & soror, don't let white people apply. Never have.
They are private associations. They get no federal, state, or local tax dollars.
It is not a business.

The right to assemble, is a valuable right to have. It is not a privilege.
I am an Alpha. We have many brothers of many races. All other predominantly black frats and sororities have white, Hispanic, Asian, etc. members. You sir are wrong!!!! We do allow and are accepting of members of all races!! This false claim angered me and isn't a defense for the sense of racism that the University of Alabama has allowed by ignoring thus issue.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:53 AM

19 posts, read 47,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Personally, I never understood it. I was approached by both Kappas and Q-dogs, but since I was 30 at the time, I found it to be rather assinine to be humilated by some 20 years old kids and pay to be apart of their group.

By the way, I did say respect from their PEERS
No it's about tearing someone down in order to build them up. You give them feigned trials for them to overcome so that when they face trials in the real world, they don't back down but face these trials head on. When done right, it makes one stronger.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:55 AM

326 posts, read 498,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
There are many black only and hispanic only organizations, on campuses all over the USA.
GOD forbid, there is a white only organization, or you get called the KKK.
i don't know of any such organizations.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:59 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRadams7474 View Post
No it's about tearing someone down in order to build them up. You give them feigned trials for them to overcome so that when they face trials in the real world, they don't back down but face these trials head on. When done right, it makes one stronger.
You're thinking of the military where obeying orders is a matter of life or death. Since when does every pledge need to be torn down? Only a control freak does those things.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:00 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by presidentbunny View Post
Name one. My black frat has numerous white members.....
There are quite a few out there. Almost all of them are invite only to become a member. Who do you think they are going to invite? Go look them up.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:06 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
Note that the conservatives who lick their chops at the notion of any racist organization are ideological descendants of the line of conservatives who supposedly passed the civil rights bill. Nyuk nyuk...April Fools.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:18 PM

1,634 posts, read 1,210,298 times
Two obvious trolls being obvious....that signed up today! Go figure.

Old 04-01-2014, 01:35 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
Racism has been condoned at the University of Alabama as all-white sororities win their fight to ban black students from applying.
A group of 27 student senators blocked a bill to fully integrate fraternities at the establishment from reaching a public vote, with just five in favour, and two abstentions.
It has sparked outrage as critics blast the 'backwards' state of student societies more than half a century after the university first granted black students entry.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2xM3Xp3ap
I thought the youngsters were more tolerant or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies