Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 08:40 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,541,703 times

Advertisements

Do I get the day off? Call it "Italian/Spaniard/White Guy came, saw, and kicked everyones ass who did not look like him day" for all I care. Or call it "All White people are evil day"...or "70% out of wedlock births day" or even" 13% of the population commits 52% of the violent crime in this country day".

If you get the day off, it shouldn't matter what it's called.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:56 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,013,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

In addition to trans-oceanic travel to the Americas from elsewhere, there is also evidence for possible travels originating from the New World.
Arctic and Native American peoples

There is substantial evidence for Inuit and other American Arctic peoples arriving in Europe prior to Columbus' voyage. Contact between indigenous Americans and the Norse of Greenland as early as the 11th century is well attested. In 1009, Norse explorer Thorfinn Karlsefni captured two boys from Markland (Labrador) and took them to Greenland, where they were taught to speak Norse and baptized. The Norse sagas report that Thorfinn sailed to Norway and then Iceland shortly after; though it is not explicitly stated, it is likely that he took his two captives with him. If so, they may have been the earliest Americans to come to Europe. It is possible that the Norse took other indigenous peoples to Europe as slaves over the following centuries, because they are known to have taken Scottish and Irish slaves
In 2010 DeCODE genetics and Sigríður Sunna Ebenesersdóttir, revealed the results of a genetic study of the Icelandic population, showing that over 350 living Icelanders carried mitochondrial DNA found only in 'Native American' and East Asian populations, and all had a line of descent from a single woman, whose foreign DNA entered the Icelandic population not later than 1700, and almost certainly around 1000. This DNA is distinct from Inuit DNA, and combining the historical and genetic information available, the only realistic hypothesis is that this ancestral woman was a 'Native American' presumably abducted from the Vínland area of North America around 1000 by visiting Norsemen.

Pre-Columbian trans-oceanic contact - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Saying "Columbus discovered America" is like saying Toys R Us invented Christmas.

But, I have seen older people on CD saying "Columbus discovered America and that the earth was round, and not flat " (LOL)

so I am assuming its the limited education they received in the 50's from public education schools.
Like the little history books showing Pilgrims and American Indians happily sitting down together for a Thanksgiving dinner, in Colonial Times.
LOL. Errors and Omissions have made up most of what students are taught, sadly.
As you know, I frequently agree with you, but not this time!

Oh, I'm not disagreeing that the Vikings, Norsemen whatever the "proper" appellation is currently, got to North America before Columbus. That is documented. They did not stay, however. And as you note, they took slaves as well. Their treatment of Native Americans is not likely to have been any better than the Spaniards'.
**The Norse referred to the indigenous peoples they encountered in Greenland and the New World as skraeling, a derogatory term meaning wretch or scared weakling, and the sagas make it clear that the Norse considered the natives hostile.**
The Amazing Vikings - TIME

My major disagreement is with the bold. I am a student of those times. (Well, I was in jr. high/high school in the 60s, when the real learning of subject matter starts.) Yeah, we were taught something like that in elementary school, but the idea that the Vikings had gotten there sooner was pretty common in the 1960s. And over time, we've learned that it wasn't Columbus who set out to prove a wild new hypothesis about the world being round instead of flat, that others had the same idea.

I guess what I'm saying is some protest too much. This reminds me of the threads that get started at Christmas and sometimes Easter, telling us what we already know, that our customs come from many cultures, including pagan religions. So what? Most all of us have known that for a long time, just like most have known that the Vikings got to N. America first for a long time, at least 50 years now.

In the northeastern US, Columbus Day is an Italian heritage festival. It's no surprise that there's not much of an Italian community in Minneapolis, despite their own ideas about their diversity.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:00 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,805,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
They won't be satisfied until EVERY holiday is replaced with "Generic Celebration Day #1", "Generic Celebration Day #2", etc.

And then some of them will STILL whine about it, saying it's not fair to miserable simps like themselves who can't find anything to celebrate in the first place.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:14 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,733,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
They won't be satisfied until EVERY
state-recognized, religious-based

Quote:
holiday is replaced with "Generic Celebration Day #1", "Generic Celebration Day #2", etc.
I'm sorry that you cannot accept that your religious freedom doesn't entitle you to subjugate laws and regulations to what is best for your religion in perpetuity. Your religion's domination of secular society has had its day. That day has passed, mostly because of the ascendancy of the acknowledgement of the worth and dignity of all people, even people of different religions from one's own - a concept that I know you personally oppose with some of the perspectives you support. You're welcome to continue to celebrate your religious holidays, within your own heart, your own home, and your own church, but don't expect the government to continue to defer to your religion's power plays.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:21 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,805,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post

I'm sorry that you cannot accept that your religious freedom doesn't entitle you to subjugate laws and regulations to what is best for your religion in perpetuity. Your religion's domination of secular society has had its day. That day has passed, mostly because of the ascendancy of the acknowledgement of the worth and dignity of all people, even people of different religions from one's own - a concept that I know you personally oppose with some of the perspectives you support. You're welcome to continue to celebrate your religious holidays, within your own heart, your own home, and your own church, but don't expect the government to continue to defer to your religion's power plays.
Does this person have any knowledge of what he's talking about?

For example, he's telling me what my religion dictates... without even knowing what my religion is.

I mentioned whiners who are never satisfied... and sure enough, look who popped up.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:31 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,733,194 times
Quote:
Does this person have any knowledge of what he's talking about?
Of course he does. He's been subjected to your inane postings for months and months and months.

Quote:
For example, he's telling me what my religion dictates... without even knowing what my religion is.
No I'm actually not telling you what your religion dictates, but that's surely a nice attempt at a evasion.

Quote:
I mentioned whiners who are never satisfied... and sure enough, look who popped up.
Childish insults from you are not going to trump the principled points I made.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:13 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,634,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
As you know, I frequently agree with you, but not this time!

Oh, I'm not disagreeing that the Vikings, Norsemen whatever the "proper" appellation is currently, got to North America before Columbus. That is documented. They did not stay, however. And as you note, they took slaves as well. Their treatment of Native Americans is not likely to have been any better than the Spaniards'.
**The Norse referred to the indigenous peoples they encountered in Greenland and the New World as skraeling, a derogatory term meaning wretch or scared weakling, and the sagas make it clear that the Norse considered the natives hostile.**
The Amazing Vikings - TIME

My major disagreement is with the bold. I am a student of those times. (Well, I was in jr. high/high school in the 60s, when the real learning of subject matter starts.) Yeah, we were taught something like that in elementary school, but the idea that the Vikings had gotten there sooner was pretty common in the 1960s. And over time, we've learned that it wasn't Columbus who set out to prove a wild new hypothesis about the world being round instead of flat, that others had the same idea.

I guess what I'm saying is some protest too much. This reminds me of the threads that get started at Christmas and sometimes Easter, telling us what we already know, that our customs come from many cultures, including pagan religions. So what? Most all of us have known that for a long time, just like most have known that the Vikings got to N. America first for a long time, at least 50 years now.

In the northeastern US, Columbus Day is an Italian heritage festival. It's no surprise that there's not much of an Italian community in Minneapolis, despite their own ideas about their diversity.
Fair enough. I actually read someone here who said she was taught that Columbus was the first to set foot in America, and also that he spread word about the world "not being flat".

Clearly major misinformation told to 3rd graders.(year ago, not now).

- and, my comment was really directed at isolated people who in early 50's though that the "American History" books were to be accepted without question. In other words an archie bunker type ,lol....
or the type of person who grew up in a "Leave it to Beaver" idea of America.

so sorry

My primary issue is with older Americans who never learn to question. And are extremely insular in their opinions. Anyway thanks for your honest feedback too.

Anyway, MN to my knowledge is mostly German, so I'm not surprised Columbus Day is prolly jut a silly Hallmark card holiday to many. It's hard for me to imagine people being defensive about Columbus, lol.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:18 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,558,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post

Face it, bUU, if it's American, wholesome, patriotic, historic, traditional, etc., you don't like it and think those who do should be denied it.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:18 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,512,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
What an embarrassment.

Minneapolis replaces Columbus Day with Indigenous Peoples Day - TwinCities.com
Same outcome.

My preference is to eliminate these 'recognition' holidays altogether and treat that Monday just like any other day.

[like the day before and the day after]

Old 04-30-2014, 08:23 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,757,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Face it, bUU, if it's American, wholesome, patriotic, historic, traditional, etc., you don't like it and think those who do should be denied it.
That is so very true...And the fact leftist hate it and are repulsed by I love it that much more...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies