Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 06:28 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,271,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
What historical tragedy are we celebrating?
I expect you know but are playing dumb for some reason only known to you.

Do you think we should celebrate the genocide of indigenous peoples in the Americas?

Old 05-01-2014, 06:37 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,755,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post

Do you think we should celebrate the genocide of indigenous peoples in the Americas?
We are celebrating exploration and discovery.

You want to be the party poopers fine, America is not only giving up our heritage, and our culture to make you sycophants happy, which is impossible.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:28 PM

63,085 posts, read 29,276,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post

Is that what Christopher Columbus was guilty of? Do tell! Who are these so-called indigenous peoples anyway? No one was indigenous to the New World/Americas. All of our ancestors migrated here from somewhere else so how can we celebrate an "Indigenous People's Day"?

Old 05-01-2014, 07:38 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,033,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Don't you think that 77 years of celebrating the ethic cleansing that occurred here, in the interest of establishing the states that eventually became our nation, is enough?
Holy crap Batman! How about we just get rid of every holiday based on your internal view? We've renamed Christmas to Holiday Season, and Easter to Spring Break. All this PC nonsense is getting to be way over the line.

Celebrating discovery is not celebrating the rest of what happened. Yea, I know, he wasn't the first to discover the Americas, however he is the benchmark used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Is that what Christopher Columbus was guilty of? Do tell! Who are these so-called indigenous peoples anyway? No one was indigenous to the New World/Americas. All of our ancestors migrated here from somewhere else so how can we celebrate an "Indigenous People's Day"?
Agreed! Basically we all came from the same place, making us all indigenous people of the earth. Someone was here before the "Indians" and someone else was here before them, and so on, and so on, and so on.

All modern borders were written in blood and bones.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:24 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,482,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
We are celebrating exploration and discovery.
Lol. How can you discover something that other people found long before you?

Old 05-01-2014, 09:36 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,135,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
The USA is part of America. Columbus did come to America.
Not America....'Murica!!! <thump>

Old 05-01-2014, 09:48 PM

The point of that photo?

Old 05-01-2014, 10:22 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,627,236 times
Harvest Day would be a good one.

I cant imagine any white person aged 11-50 caring about "Columbus day" . Kids taught about it in school today need some re-education on historical facts. maybe then they can tackle Vietnam and the Iraq war in high schools. The truth is often ugly, and American denial of it teaching kids the worlds a warm and happy place is simply ludicrous in the times we are now living in.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Harvest Day would be a good one.

I cant imagine any white person aged 11-50 caring about "Columbus day" . Kids taught about it in school today need some re-education on historical facts. maybe then they can tackle Vietnam and the Iraq war in high schools. The truth is often ugly, and American denial of it teaching kids the worlds a warm and happy place is simply ludicrous in the times we are now living in.
Funny we we teach kids real history its called propaganda and indoctrination, when you do it you call it "re- eduaction"

Old 05-02-2014, 04:15 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,727,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I also know your posting manner well enough to know that things that are reasonable or legitimate to you are often one-sided talking points that show little originality.
Coming from you, that means nothing. The fact that you cannot stick to the topic and instead veer off onto personal attack every chance you get makes clear the indefensible nature of your own perspectives aren't lost even on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I also know that the day was celebrated for decades without major issues until the unthinking politically correct decided to take it on. Yet another instance of a harmless, American tradition being thrown on the trash heap by the enlightened which no doubt pleases you greatly.
Thanks for making clear that the only "issues" and "harm" that matter to you are those you personally perceive. It really helps categorize your comments as self-motivated and driven by a callous disregard for others, especially people you don't care about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
Holy crap Batman! How about we just get rid of every holiday based on your internal view?
It isn't my personal view. Have you bothered to read the thread? Or are you just here to excrete and emotional knee-jerk reaction directed at me personally? This is a thread about an action taken by a municipality, hundreds upon hundreds of miles away from where I live. How about sticking to addressing the topic instead of engaging in petty little ad hominem nonsense?

Quote:
We've renamed Christmas to Holiday Season, and Easter to Spring Break.
Gosh it must hurt you so bad to have your religion's domineering imprint on secular society reduced from excessively offensive to only mildly offensive to Americans of other religions.

Quote:
All this PC nonsense is getting to be way over the line.
All this vapid defense for self-serving edicts and other assorted presumptions of primacy over others has been "way over the line" for far longer.

I'm sure that rabid reactionaries cannot understand the nature of living in a society where they're not of the majority, so will reply to such righteous repudiation of their self-serving claptrap with another round of vacuous bravado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies