Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2014, 05:40 AM

25,884 posts, read 16,602,938 times

Advertisements

Here's the wonderful Minneapolis mayor meeting with Somali business leaders.

She just set women back 1000 years in Minneapolis to wear that thing just to make these people happy.

So now you know the mentality.

Last edited by PullMyFinger; 05-02-2014 at 05:50 AM..

Old 05-02-2014, 06:51 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,273,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Is that what Christopher Columbus was guilty of? Do tell! Who are these so-called indigenous peoples anyway? No one was indigenous to the New World/Americas. All of our ancestors migrated here from somewhere else so how can we celebrate an "Indigenous People's Day"?
Oh dear. He was one of the worst for slave trading and exploiting the people who lived here.

And the old "hey, those people migrated here thousands of years before Columbus so it was OK to wipe them out" argument is always entertaining.

Old 05-02-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Oh dear. He was one of the worst for slave trading and exploiting the people who lived here.

And the old "hey, those people migrated here thousands of years before Columbus so it was OK to wipe them out" argument is always entertaining.
He was typical of most men of his position of his day. You are judging him on your warped PC values.

Those values didn't exist back then. Columbus achieved a great thing, something others tried and failed at.

He was and remains, a hero to the US.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
He was typical of most men of his position of his day. You are judging him on your warped PC values.

Those values didn't exist back then. Columbus achieved a great thing, something others tried and failed at.

He was and remains, a hero to the US.
Doesn't mean I have to admire him.

He's no hero of mine, so speak for yourself.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Doesn't mean I have to admire him.

He's no hero of mine, so speak for yourself.
But he is to the United States of America. There are a few other "heroes" that are celebrated that are no heroes to me either, but I respect the people who they are heroes to.

I think having an American Indian Day would be fantastic, but not in place of Columbus Day.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:50 AM

63,184 posts, read 29,336,217 times
Quote:

Exploiting does not equate to genocide which is what you claimed. Where did I say it was ok to kill anybody? What I said is that no one alive today played any role in that past but yet people like you want to drag it out over and over and imply that anyone of European heritage should feel guilty about it today.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Exploiting does not equate to genocide which is what you claimed. Where did I say it was ok to kill anybody? What I said is that no one alive today played any role in that past but yet people like you want to drag it out over and over and imply that anyone of European heritage should feel guilty about it today.
Where did I say you should feel guilty? I just don't think we should celebrate it. It's grotesque.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
He launched the genocide and you know it.

Personally, he founded the slave trade in the West Indies. He kidnapped dozens of natives, most of whom died on the voyages back to Europe. He kidnapped, rape and whipped women who refused to have sex with him. He demanded tribute, and if it wasn't delivered, he cut off the hands of natives and left them to bleed to death.

Google is your friend. The man is no hero. Continuing to celebrate such barbarity is beneath contempt.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:21 AM

63,184 posts, read 29,336,217 times
Quote:
He launched the genocide and you know it.

Personally, he founded the slave trade in the West Indies. He kidnapped dozens of natives, most of whom died on the voyages back to Europe. He kidnapped, rape and whipped women who refused to have sex with him. He demanded tribute, and if it wasn't delivered, he cut off the hands of natives and left them to bleed to death.

Google is your friend. The man is no hero. Continuing to celebrate such barbarity is beneath contempt.
He launched it? So he was responsible for and encouraged genocide from people who followed him?

Ok, we get it. You're not a fan of Columbus. I couldn't care less if we had a day in his honor or not. But I also think that an "Indigenous People's" day is ridiculous because no one was indigenous to the Americas.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:23 AM

24,644 posts, read 38,722,650 times
Quote:
He launched it? So he was responsible for and encouraged genocide from people who followed him?

Ok, we get it. You're not a fan of Columbus. I couldn't care less if we had a day in his honor or not. But I also think that an "Indigenous People's" day is ridiculous because no one was indigenous to the Americas.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies