Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2014, 08:23 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,267,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
He launched it? So he was responsible for and encouraged genocide from people who followed him?

Ok, we get it. You're not a fan of Columbus. I couldn't care less if we had a day in his honor or not. But I also think that an "Indigenous People's" day is ridiculous because no one was indigenous to the Americas.
Keep telling yourself that.

BTW, what is your time standard for qualifying as "indigenous"? A thousand years? Two thousand? Or does it depend on the outcome you want to whitewash? Enquiring minds want to know.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:30 AM

63,001 posts, read 29,203,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Keep telling yourself that.

BTW, what is your time standard for qualifying as "indigenous"? A thousand years? Two thousand? Or does it depend on the outcome you want to whitewash? Enquiring minds want to know.
I don't have to. Indigenous would be one who is born here not one who migrated here. The "descendants" of the Europeans that were born here are just as much indigenous to this country as the "descendants" of the indio's are today. I am speaking of initial migration that was from all over the world. No one just sprouted up out of the ground like corn to make them indigenous to this country/continent.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:34 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,737,127 times
Is this thread still running?!?!
Why? If you don't like C day don't celebrate it fro crying out loud! Then go get a boatload of people to change the law... who friggin cares! If I was a mod I'd lock it down as a waste of bandwidth....

Old 05-02-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I don't have to. Indigenous would be one who is born here not one who migrated here. The "descendants" of the Europeans that were born here are just as much indigenous to this country as the "descendants" of the indio's are today. I am speaking of initial migration that was from all over the world. No one just sprouted up out of the ground like corn to make them indigenous to this country/continent.
Avoiding the question, I see.

Are you saying that all people, no matter how many millennia ago they migrated, deserve to be wiped out by whoever comes along next?

What an, er, interesting moral outlook you have.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Avoiding the question, I see.

Are you saying that all people, no matter how many millennia ago they migrated, deserve to be wiped out by whoever comes along next?

What an, er, interesting moral outlook you have.
I didn't avoid your question. I answered it with unless you were born in this country you aren't indigenous to it. If you migrated here you aren't/weren't indigenous. How can I make it any simpler for you?

Again, why do you continue to accuse me that I approve of genocide when I have said no such thing nor do I advocate it. Morals? It isn't morally nice to accuse others of things they never said either.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:56 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,963,388 times
To be fair during his lifetime Columbus was considered a cruel tyrant and religious fanatic by the Spanish Crown. Think about that. The people in charge of the Spanish Inquisition thought he was an extremist who governed the West Indies with wanton cruelty. Columbus the great explorer and hero is an invention of 18th century North American colonialism.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:33 AM

43 posts, read 33,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Just make a white guilt day so liberals can get together to soil their panties and cry.
Great post. Funny but so true!!

Old 05-02-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I didn't avoid your question. I answered it with unless you were born in this country you aren't indigenous to it. If you migrated here you aren't/weren't indigenous. How can I make it any simpler for you?

Again, why do you continue to accuse me that I approve of genocide when I have said no such thing nor do I advocate it. Morals? It isn't morally nice to accuse others of things they never said either.
So … the native peoples that we exterminated weren't born here?

And why don't you explain to me what you mean then, since you're playing word games.

1. Are you saying it wasn't genocide because the native peoples migrated here?

2. Are you saying genocide is OK because native peoples migrated here?

3. Are you saying we should celebrate genocide because native peoples migrated here?

You're all over the place and I need your help to translate your many varied statements.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
So … the native peoples that we exterminated weren't born here?

And why don't you explain to me what you mean then, since you're playing word games.

1. Are you saying it wasn't genocide because the native peoples migrated here?

2. Are you saying genocide is OK because native peoples migrated here?

3. Are you saying we should celebrate genocide because native peoples migrated here?

You're all over the place and I need your help to translate your many varied statements.
Where did I say that the descendants of the indios that migrated here weren't indigenous? What I said is that the initial migrators weren't indigenous. You must have a reading comprehension problem. What I said is if you were born here you ARE indigenous. If you migrated here then you are/were not. I said the descendants of the Europeans and the indios who were born here are both indigenous. Geez, if you can't understand or read my posts correctly then don't read them! What words games?

Why are you asking me questions that I already answered before? I said no genocide is not right nor did I say that it should be celebrated. Columbus day isn't about genocide but discovery but I don't care about it anymore than I would celebrate an indigenous people's day if the reference is to those who first migrated here.

It is you who is all over the place because you can't seem to comprehend anything I say but instead you twist it and then ask me questions I have already answered. My responses aren't varied. They are clear but you refuse to see that.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:32 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,748,858 times
Quote:
Where did I say you should feel guilty? I just don't think we should celebrate it. It's grotesque.
How about just you don't celebrate it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies