Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2014, 06:58 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
What a stupid city government. Every modern day country across the world were conquered and overthrown by some tribe or kingdom to be what they are. For some f-ing reason, people have a particular hang up about this country and our traditions rather than anywhere else.
Agreed and HOW!

Kinda like the PETA people: many of them will attack a helpless woman wearing a fur coat; I'll starting taking them more serious when they start hassling 1 percenter bikers wearing leathers. Same thing about some people trying to hassle the US over Columbus but; many other countries did MUCH worse things to their people much more recently but the "libs" ain't got the guts to speak up.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:34 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,598 times
Since Minnesota was built mainly by Scandinavians, they should've change the day to Leif Erikson Day. I know that Leif Erikson Day is on the 9th, but they could've just moved it to the 13th. Problem solved.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:36 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,842,681 times
Leif has blood on his hands too as he was a recipient of "Viking Privilege"

As for Columbus he was a product of his indoctrination at the hands of the Church and the materialistic society that were his formative years. We should not criticize Columbus but empathize.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:56 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Leif has blood on his hands too as he was a recipient of "Viking Privilege"

As for Columbus he was a product of his indoctrination at the hands of the Church and the materialistic society that were his formative years. We should not criticize Columbus but empathize.
I think all Vikings had blood on their hands.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:30 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,521,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Was that the ethnic cleansing that the Indians did to each other that you're referring to? Because they were always at war and they would kill every last member of the opposing tribes, babies included.
yeah. there's not blood on your ancestors' hands. those native americans were going to kill each other anyways and put each other on reservations anyways. just like those Africans who sold other Africans into slavery therefore making the in the USA okay.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:36 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
yeah. there's not blood on your ancestors' hands. those native americans were going to kill each other anyways and put each other on reservations anyways. just like those Africans who sold other Africans into slavery therefore making the in the USA okay.
My people didn't come here until 1890 or so, after the Indian wars. I have no responsibility for what happened. All I'm saying is the Indians were savage in their wars against each other, and the Europeans were no more savage than they were. Just more organized and advanced.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:19 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,521,502 times
Quote:
My people didn't come here until 1890 or so, after the Indian wars. I have no responsibility for what happened. All I'm saying is the Indians were savage in their wars against each other, and the Europeans were no more savage than they were. Just more organized and advanced.
your family still benefitted from the displacement and subjugation of native people, just like my black family eventually did. admit that many of us are living in places that indigenous people once walked freely.

your argument is similar to this; non native americans came over and took land and resources from native americans anyways, so why does it matter if people cross the border from latin American countries and do the same?

Old 10-05-2014, 10:59 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,912,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Some would say we already have - Martin Luther King Day.
Alright... just to humor you... what the hell is THIS supposed to mean?

Old 10-06-2014, 06:19 AM

62,973 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Exactly! I am so sick of the whining about the past. Many of our European ancestors didn't come here till well after the Indian wars and yet we are supposed to feel bad about the past? What's done is done and the whole planet had much of the same history.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:46 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,842,681 times
Let us not forget the Holier than thou attitude from folks who do complain and yet benefit immensely from our history and do nothing but talk about doing something about it. As I wrote to a poster earlier and he went nuts- put up or be called out as a hypocrite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies