Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 12:58 PM

262 posts, read 155,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
I hope you realize how naive your idea is? Human kind have been using drugs since day one and no amount of drug education would stop people from using drugs. Just like with alcohol, many drug user turn to drugs as a result of an underlying mental issue.
I'm sorry for your attitude, but having been raised during generations that knew better and ostracized from their lives those few that were dumb enough to get hooked on drugs, I know that education of the bad consequences of drug use starting with the very young will bring back the understanding of the reasons youngsters should never start with drugs. This is not a simple subject. There is much that needs to accompany the "just say no" phase, but it can be done.

Intelligent people don't use drugs. Yes, "some" people over the centuries have been users and that is too bad. They destroy much of their potential to protect their health, including mental health. Drugs have destroyed countries. I don't think we want to see America destroyed, but it will happen if "we the people" don't wake up and stop the foolish mentality that prevails in society today.

In America drug users diminish tremendously (the more drugs the worse it is) their opportunity to live a wonderful life that America offers to all of those who are responsible and pursue the opportunities this country offers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 02:30 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,139,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Good Lord!

First off, yes, crimes get committed while on alcohol. Alcohol is a LEGAL drug. That should give you some perspective about legalizing more drugs.

Secondly, ecstacy? Seriously? This is old, but I don't think anything has changed much since it was written:
**MDMA¿s acute effects last from three to eight hours [1] and its short-lasting effects include feelings of euphoria, enhanced mental and emotional clarity, sensations of lightness and floating and other hallucinations. Users of MDMA also have suppressed appetite, thirst or need to sleep. Sometimes users who are attending two- to three-day parties suffer from severe dehydration or exhaustion [1].

Other unpleasant and/or dangerous acute effects include feelings of depersonalization, elevated anxiety, muscle tension, involuntary teeth clenching, nausea, blurred vision, faintness, chills and sweating, hypertension, tremors, seizures and increased body temperature. It is very possible to overdose on MDMA; these overdoses may produce fatality by heart failure or extreme heat stroke [3].
What are the effects of the drug Ecstasy? - Scientific American

The article goes on to discuss other negative effects of its use.
Yes there are problems with MDMA, just like there are problems with alcohol, that's why I think the two are very comparable. MDMA is probably more enjoyable for many people though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysda View Post
I'm sorry for your attitude, but having been raised during generations that knew better and ostracized from their lives those few that were dumb enough to get hooked on drugs, I know that education of the bad consequences of drug use starting with the very young will bring back the understanding of the reasons youngsters should never start with drugs. This is not a simple subject. There is much that needs to accompany the "just say no" phase, but it can be done.

Intelligent people don't use drugs. Yes, "some" people over the centuries have been users and that is too bad. They destroy much of their potential to protect their health, including mental health. Drugs have destroyed countries. I don't think we want to see America destroyed, but it will happen if "we the people" don't wake up and stop the foolish mentality that prevails in society today.

In America drug users diminish tremendously (the more drugs the worse it is) their opportunity to live a wonderful life that America offers to all of those who are responsible and pursue the opportunities this country offers.
Intellingent people do use drugs. Look at Carl Sagan, Watson or Crick, can't remember which one, Bill Gates... I would say there's nothing wrong with safe, nonaddictive use of many drugs, just like it's not really a problem with alcohol, as long as it's kept in check.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:37 PM

1,070 posts, read 740,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysda View Post
I'm sorry for your attitude, but having been raised during generations that knew better and ostracized from their lives those few that were dumb enough to get hooked on drugs, I know that education of the bad consequences of drug use starting with the very young will bring back the understanding of the reasons youngsters should never start with drugs.
Wonderful, yet there is plenty of professionals like attorneys and doctors who get hooked up on drugs despite having full knowledge of consequences. Believing that anti-drug education would solve the problem is simply naive.

Last edited by Rapaport; 05-08-2014 at 03:05 PM..

Old 05-08-2014, 02:46 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
So let me see if I understand this.

A drug addict, who is perfectly willing to break into your house, steal your jewelry, television set and anything else of value to sell, pawn, trade for illegal drugs is going to suddenly get a job to support his LEGAL drug habit?

Really?

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-08-2014, 02:53 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,139,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
So let me see if I understand this.

A drug addict, who is perfectly willing to break into your house, steal your jewelry, television set and anything else of value to sell, pawn, trade for illegal drugs is going to suddenly get a job to support his LEGAL drug habit?

Really?

20yrsinBranson
If he can get a job, it's more likely he will stop turning to crime to support his now much less expensive hobby.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:04 PM

1,070 posts, read 740,064 times
First of all I doubt that this drug user is employable. Second, why would the drugs be less expensive when legal? Can't you get moonshine half the price of legitimate liquor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
If he can get a job, it's more likely he will stop turning to crime to support his now much less expensive hobby.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:04 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,536,798 times
Quote:
But legalized drugs also means regulated drugs. Regulation means government involvement and they don't do that stuff for free. I'm not sure how much any drugs cost now, but do you really think they'll be cheaper when regulated and taxed?

Old 05-08-2014, 03:10 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Phil, let me guess. You don't know any hard-core drug users do you? I mean the kind that will bash you in the head with a tire iron for $8 to get a fix. Nah, I didn't think so.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-08-2014, 07:18 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Legalized pot in Colorado is no less expensive that when it was illegal. To combat that those selling illegal pot have dropped their prices some but that would still be a crime.

Heroin is already cheap but yet many have to depend on illegal activities to curb their growing appetite.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:44 AM

262 posts, read 155,190 times
Quote:
The problem with your scenario is that he/she will probably not get a job for the simple reason that when drenching the brain in drugs one diminishes drive and capacity to use logic and responsibility...those areas of the brain are "altered" with drug use, the amount depending on each individual's physical genetic makeup.

We tried for years to hire those problem people who couldn't stay away from drugs hoping we could lead them to a better life. We finally had to give up since they were not worth what we paid them and they were often dangerous to other workers on the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies