Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 07:27 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I'm convinced the number of people requiring public assistance would go up exponentially if all illegal drugs were made legal. I am also convinced that the rate of traffic accidents and injuries would increase. Crime over all would increase as the number of addicts increased.

Just to point out, most of the problems with addiction today stem from heroin and prescription opiates abuse. Let's not forget meth, and even alcohol. Cannabis is not the problem, nor has it ever been the problem when it comes to addiction, as there is no proof of physical addiction to the substance. Not to mention your average pot head isn't going to knock over a Seven Eleven to get money to run out of weed.

Honestly, heroin wasn't even thought of when I was in school. We always thought it was a such a 70s drug, like qualudes. I think the reason it has become a huge problem is due to doctors handing out opiates like candy to treat pain. People end up abusing them, and when they can no longer obtain them via being prescribed they then turn to heroin the "illegal cousin."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 07:30 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,165,704 times
Legalising drugs may help reduce organised crime but would it reduce all crime. If you look at alcohol rates of violent crime are often linked to alcohol pricing and disposable income. Therefore during times of recession violent crime rates often fall.

Furthermore I think it would be stupid to suggest that the legalisation of every drug would lead to lower crime rates, would the legalisation of drugs such as Cocaine, Heroin, Bath Salts, PCP, Ketamin, Meth Amphetamine and other such hard drugs just lead to new sets of problems in society, as they did with the easy availability of alcohol and low price drink promotions.

Whilst would other areas of society have a knock on effect, would there be more deaths in road traffic accidents, more violent incidents related to mind altering substances and would there be more hospitilisations due to the effects of drugs both long and short term. Legalising Marijuana being very different to legalising all known substances.

Cost of alcohol credited for drop in serious violence in England and Wales | Society | The Guardian

Old 05-07-2014, 07:32 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
Legalising drugs may help reduce organised crime but would it reduce all crime. If you look at alcohol rates of violent crime are often linked to alcohol pricing or

Cost of alcohol credited for drop in serious violence in England and Wales | Society | The Guardian

Of course all crime wouldn't disappear with legalization, but it would free up those in LE to go after those who committ violent crimes. And yes, alcohol does tend to bring out "the best" in people from time to time. At least when one over indulges. As a former DJ, I've seen it first hand.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:41 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,165,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Of course all crime wouldn't disappear with legalization, but it would free up those in LE to go after those who committ violent crimes. And yes, alcohol does tend to bring out "the best" in people from time to time. At least when one over indulges. As a former DJ, I've seen it first hand.
Allowing people to take mind altering hard drugs will most likely just lead to more violent crime. Marijuana, a soft drug being a separate issue to the legalisation of hard drugs.

In terms of alcohol, the price is very much linked to levels of violent crime, and this is proven in report after report by the Violence and Social Research Group in the UK, which is headed by Professor Jonathan Shepherd, a professor of oral and maxillofacial surgery, who became interested in violence research through having to put peoples faces back together following violent attacks.

BBC News - Violent crime in England and Wales falls again, A&E data shows

BBC News : Award for drink-violence project

Maxillofacial surgeons have to qualify at Medical School before going back to qualify at Dental School and then train to become a surgeon. It takes between 12 and 15 years to qualify as a Maxillofacial surgeon.

How to become an oral and maxillofacial surgeon

Last edited by Bamford; 05-07-2014 at 08:18 AM..

Old 05-07-2014, 07:45 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,396,690 times
Government doesn't care about crime or junkies, the only reason they want drugs legal is to create a tax base or more income. Think of all the cops we would have to fire , it would shrink county employment by st least 30 percent. Without crime why would we need all the cops and task force. It would kill the dea agents. It's all about money, everything on government is about money

Old 05-07-2014, 07:46 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
That is because decriminalization is NOT legalization. Decriminalization is a band aid, and while folks may not get locked up for possession, decriminalization still allows the black market to flourish.
After decriminalization in Portugal, cocaine use increased by 212%. Are you trying to argue it happened because drugs were only decriminalized, and not legalized? How do you figure?

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 05-07-2014 at 08:00 AM..

Old 05-07-2014, 07:56 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
What's the rationale for attributing that to legalization?
You mean the difference between decriminalization and legalization?

The arguments we are hearing about legalization, are the EXACT same arguments were used to push for decriminalization in Holland and Portugal, and the EXACT opposite happened. Drug use and crime skyrocketed. Both decriminalization, and legalization open doors increased use and increased addiction rates, which lead to increased crime and more people on welfare.

More crime and more people on welfare = negative impact on general welfare of the nation, which means The Constitution obligates the government to prevent it.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 05-07-2014 at 08:04 AM..

Old 05-07-2014, 08:04 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Think about it, first of all, a significant portion of "criminals" are nothing more than users. Then, beyond just the users, drugs provide a steady criminal source of income. If this income was eliminated, how would people who do not work or have government assistance get money? Robberies? I don't think very many people have come out ahead continually for robbing and it's not a 20 year income plan.

And if you haven't heard about how bad cartel violence is getting, go to the thread in the Great Debates section and read up on it. It's really disgusting.

But the one of the bigger issues to me are that if a person does decide to use drugs, then they are shut out from participating and working in most parts of society. So, the criminal option has more appeal. If people could go to work on monday after using drugs like people now go to work on monday after using alcohol, those users would have a greater chance at not turning to crime.

Also, once a person has a felony on their record, they are essentially doomed from ever having a good shot at achieving a good job in the future. So, then again they turn to crime.

I talked to a person in one of my college classes the other day who sold marijuana at CSU. He said a doctor proscribed him 8 ounces of weed a day due to a $30 purchased medical back issue card he got. He turned around and sold it on the street because it was 1/2 the cost of legal weed. He was making more than $1000 a day. He said adderal and ADHD drugs, (methamphetamine) and the pain meds worked the same way. People would get ridiculously large prescriptions, then sell them on the street for big profit margins. And his sentence for getting caught? A $20000 fine.

So, lets take a look at it. My, Phil P's, options for drugs: we have alcohol, tobacco, cough syrup, marijuana, pain meds, ADHD drugs/amphetamines, crack, heroin, benedryll, datura, inhalants, and amanita muscaria. ALL of them are crap drugs with the exception of marijuana, which i have not tried.

The ones I have tried have left me really wondering why anybody does them? Pain meds were boring and numbing, cough syrup had less effect than sugar or caffeine does, and benedryll was interesting in that it showed me how mentally ill people think, but it was definitely dysphoric. All the halfway decent drugs, like DIPT, are no where to be found. I will never use drugs habitually, but, people are curious, and their choices for their curiosity are the most highly addictive, damaging drugs. I say that if people were given the options, crap drugs like opiates and nicotene and alcohol use would decrease dramatically in favor better, less addicting, less potentially harmful options.
As if all crime started in the 20th Century. Please! Drugs are just what the criminals use now to make money, but it certainly would latch onto something else if all drugs were legal. Even with legalization, there will always be limitations that will create a black market. People too young will still drink alcohol and consume drugs illegally.

You're wrong about the "crap" drugs decreasing with more options. Arguably, marijuana is far easier to obtain and the criminal sentencing is far less than crack or heroin, and yet people still use those drugs. Make them all legal and people will just use them more. Legalization won't make opiates less favored because they're highly addictive. People have been addicted to opiates for centuries. It's not going away, and will only get worse if we give them the acceptability that legalization will cause.

I think legalization of all drugs is a bad idea.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:10 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,131,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I support legalizing certain drugs but the example we have in real life in Colorado supports the position I've held all along.

It will do very little to stop crime. Dealers in Colorado are simply undercutting the state with their prices and because its now less risky they are doing just as well.

If a person doesn't have $250 for pot while its illegal they still don't have that kind of money for it when its legal.
I'd disagree about it not stopping crime. As other states move towards legalization prices will come down and they'll push out the illegal dealers. Everybody I know who's been to CO or lives there goes to the stores. Why even risk the illegal element

I don't know what your last sentence had to do with the argument. People don't rob people for pot.

"You ever ________ for pot?!"

I don't know any pot heads like that.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:14 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,131,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
As if all crime started in the 20th Century. Please! Drugs are just what the criminals use now to make money, but it certainly would latch onto something else if all drugs were legal. Even with legalization, there will always be limitations that will create a black market. People too young will still drink alcohol and consume drugs illegally.

You're wrong about the "crap" drugs decreasing with more options. Arguably, marijuana is far easier to obtain and the criminal sentencing is far less than crack or heroin, and yet people still use those drugs. Make them all legal and people will just use them more. Legalization won't make opiates less favored because they're highly addictive. People have been addicted to opiates for centuries. It's not going away, and will only get worse if we give them the acceptability that legalization will cause.

I think legalization of all drugs is a bad idea.
Why don't you do drugs? Because they're illegal or because your educated on the effects they can have on your body/life?

You assume that people will choose to do harder drugs if they're legal just because they're legal. People are stupid, but most not that stupid. People don't smoke crack and meth because they've seen the results.

Ending the Drug War would MOST DEFINITELY decrease crime in this country and also spur a lot of 'new economy' for those trying to make an honest living. It would also keep a lot of Americans out of prison.

Ending the Drug War is just one step. We'd still need massive increases in jobs or either work for the unemployed or those on welfare.

I do believe those on welfare should work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies