Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 12:45 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,784,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
This is new/news to me:

Supper is served at San Elizario High School - El Paso, Texas

After-school meals are now being served to high school students who are involved in after school activities, San Elizario Independent School District (Texas) officials said. Supper is offered at 4 p.m. and ends at 4:30 p.m. at the high school's cafeteria. The program, which began May 1, is funded through a reimbursement grant from the U.S. Department of Agriculture Child and Adult Care Food Program. Students who opt to stay for supper get a $3.21 meal for free through the grant reimbursement program.

Afterschool Programs | Food and Nutrition Service - Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP)
Child and Adult Care Food Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If this school followed the Healthy Lunch Program, it makes sense to feed the kids involved in after school activities. I read where many high schools kids complained about hunger and then having to participate in activities during regular hours and especially after school. With the lunch that they were getting they were probably burning off more calories just by breathing and walking from class to class than what was in their lunch and it didn't leave them with much energy for after school activities.

My grandson's lunch is second period, which means that his lunch was at 9:30 AM and school let out at 2:20. He always eats breakfast at home 7:30 AM) so there isn't much appetite for lunch at 9:30 AM. Then he had "night school" 3 days a week and that ended at 5:30. Every day he runs to the corner grocery store and grab something to eat because by 2:20 he was starving.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
How about the novel concept of children being fed dinner either in their own home or a caregivers'?
How about the novel concept of going back to providing students a decent lunch? Many schools are following the Healthy Lunch Program created by Michelle Obama. The program is pretty much a failure and is being "re-invented". Before the program there were no complaints and there was no need for dinners to be provided by the schools.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
If this school followed the Healthy Lunch Program, it makes sense to feed the kids involved in after school activities. I read where many high schools kids complained about hunger and then having to participate in activities during regular hours and especially after school. With the lunch that they were getting they were probably burning off more calories just by breathing and walking from class to class than what was in their lunch and it didn't leave them with much energy for after school activities.

My grandson's lunch is second period, which means that his lunch was at 9:30 AM and school let out at 2:20. He always eats breakfast at home 7:30 AM) so there isn't much appetite for lunch at 9:30 AM. Then he had "night school" 3 days a week and that ended at 5:30. Every day he runs to the corner grocery store and grab something to eat because by 2:20 he was starving.
Schools all over have some wacky "lunch" hours.
I was told the cafeterias were too small to hold all the kids.
I sub at one school that starts lunch at 10:30am.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Most people that work all day 9-5, 8-4, etc. just have lunch while at work.
They usually have dinner after work either at home or dine out.

My company cafeteria never served dinner at 4pm to workers..they were done, finished and locked up by 3pm.
Comparing school children to an adult office environment? Apples and oranges missy.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Comparing school children to an adult office environment? Apples and oranges missy.

Dinner at school is a new concept.

No apples and oranges at all.
My son had after school activities and I picked him up when I got off of work.
Went home and cooked dinner.

I must be the odd one out here. I worked so there was never any "dinner at 4pm" in my house.
Dinner is between 6-6:30pm.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:59 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,652,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What did you do before the government stepped in to provide dinner ?
This is a fairly new program.

So did you go to school with food for her ?
Or did you let her starve until you picked her up ?
I never had that problem.
She was not into sports.

Again, I am sure that the food given to those students who stay late at school would not qualify as 'dinner' in the traditional sense of the word.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
How about the novel concept of going back to providing students a decent lunch? Many schools are following the Healthy Lunch Program created by Michelle Obama. The program is pretty much a failure and is being "re-invented". Before the program there were no complaints and there was no need for dinners to be provided by the schools.
The 3 big food companies that provide the lunches told the government their studies showed that switching foods would lead to a lot of "plate waste".

Turns out they were right.

Up to 70% of that healthy food is being dumped in the trash.

Study shows most kids dump school lunch fruit and vegetables, costing schools millions - EAGnews.org powered by Education Action Group Foundation, Inc.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I never had that problem.
She was not into sports.

Again, I am sure that the food given to those students who stay late at school would not qualify as 'dinner' in the traditional sense of the word.
Sounds like dinner items to me..not like it's milk and cookies.

From the OP link:

Meals that are being served for supper include hamburgers, spaghetti, hot dogs, Chicken sandwiches and tangerine teriyaki.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
But, it is enough. The real sorry fact is that these parents are not willing to take care of their own offspring. They would much spend money on other things, like non-necessities.
You totally missed the point he made, like so many others.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I understand. I took care of my kids as well. however I never lost my job, nor became homeless or any other misfortune that can befall a person into a position that makes it hard for them to feed their children. I would rather pay for a person taking advantage of the system if it means the kids that really need it get food.
Amazing how some people look down their nose on others without knowing their situation. It seems that every child that would be at the receiving end belongs to irresponsible parent(s). I be there are many middle class working parents who are not irresponsible that don't mind taking advantage of free breakfast/lunch/dinner programs. I wouldn't be surprised of some of these upstanding people wanted all those kids that do need that meal should probably have a "W" tattooed on their head so everyone knows they are getting some form of welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies