Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 02:48 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,940,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
This is new/news to me:

Supper is served at San Elizario High School - El Paso, Texas

After-school meals are now being served to high school students who are involved in after school activities, San Elizario Independent School District (Texas) officials said. Supper is offered at 4 p.m. and ends at 4:30 p.m. at the high school's cafeteria. The program, which began May 1, is funded through a reimbursement grant from the U.S. Department of Agriculture Child and Adult Care Food Program. Students who opt to stay for supper get a $3.21 meal for free through the grant reimbursement program.

Afterschool Programs | Food and Nutrition Service - Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP)
Child and Adult Care Food Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
BFD So some low-income children who choose to participate in after school activities insteading of hitting the streets with their homies get an after school meal. They also have to come from families living at or below the poverty level which you'd know if you read your own links. OMG! We are feeding some low income children. Where will it ever end? I think mean spirited people who get into a dither about this should be sent to bed without supper, myself. Why don't you go tip a few disabled people out of their wheelchairs while you're at it?

Old 05-13-2014, 02:48 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,021,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Agreed. When my kids did HS sports, getting dinner fit in was difficult. As I said upthread, I would have loved something like this, and gladly paid $3.50 for a more balanced meal than they could get at a McDonald's drive-through for that. There was no time to go to a sit-down restaurant, that's for sure, and by the time they got home, DH and I had long eaten dinner. It was either warm up some leftovers (if there were any) or make Ramen Noodles or box Mac 'N Cheese. Then there was clean up.
Well there you go. Sounds to me like you had a system.

I'm for feeding hungry kids but not simply to convenience parents and their kids at
other taxpayers expense.

"funded through a reimbursement grant from the U.S. Department of Agriculture
Child and Adult Care Food Program"

- CACFP provides aid to child and adult care institutions and family or group day care homes for the provision of nutritious foods that contribute to the wellness, healthy growth, and development of young children, and the health and wellness of older adults and chronically impaired disabled persons.-

Not exactly meant for busy parents and active sports-minded youth...

Old 05-13-2014, 02:51 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Earning $45K a year is hardly considered America's "poorest people".

What many people don't realize is that government upped the eligibility limits on almost all our programs.
A family of 3 earning $45K a year qualifies for reduced lunch ($.40)

No, I did not know that. That's pretty generous! I would assume that those people would not be receiving welfare or food stamps.

I guess feeding everyone's kids frees up money to be spent in other places to keep this "consumer based economy" going.

People didn't even die in the streets of starvation during the Great Depression.

You don't think so? Maybe they died in back alleys.

And if there were truly kids in school exhibiting signs of starvation don't you think that would be reported to the authorities ?

Being hungry because you didn't get dinner at 4pm is not "starving in the streets".
We've taken that phrase to an extreme here.

I used that phrase 'starving in the streets' in conjunction with the idea of doing away with all forms of government assistance.

I sub in three different Title 1 school districts and I've yet to see any starving kid.
I have seen a few truly poor kids though but they aren't starving nor suffering from malnutrition.
What those kids could use is a pair of shoes and some clothes that actually fit them
Again, this program is for student athletes, not every student who attends that particular school.

I grew up poor and know what it's like to feel starvation. Once I ate an entire box of crackers, and when it was time for me to go to confession (catholic) I confessed my 'gluttony' to the priest..LOL I think after that my parents started getting 'government food', blocks of cheese and some other stuff.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:08 PM

45,420 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Again, this program is for student athletes, not every student who attends that particular school.

I grew up poor and know what it's like to feel starvation. Once I ate an entire box of crackers, and when it was time for me to go to confession (catholic) I confessed my 'gluttony' to the priest..LOL I think after that my parents started getting 'government food', blocks of cheese and some other stuff.

"Student athletes" is how it's being reported but you can bet whatever you want that if a non-athlete enrolled in FARM would stick around he'd be fed. That would be in the rule/guidelines for the reimbursement grant.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:19 PM

89,049 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
No, it's for students in any kind of after school activity, not just athletes. I have no idea why you think its only for student athletes.

Camden, NJ has a similar program:
Gov. Christie, Camden superintendent tout new after school dinner program | NJ.com

More double-dippers.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:23 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,731,609 times
Quote:
So, if my daughter was involved with after-school sports until 5:00pm or so I should leave work to bring her food?

My place of employment would have loved that!

Just face the pettiness; embrace it! Be proud of it! After all, you are putting it out there for all to see! Why deny?
You are the 3rd person in this thread to say this. Are there parents that really don't know you can pack a snack for your child to have after school? My kids play lots of sports. We pack their lunches and a snack for after school.

Either parents have gotten really dumb, or some posters in this thread are playing obtuse to set up a false premise. There are more options between the school feeding kids dinner and parents leaving work every day to take their kids snacks.

Somehow we've survived a long time with after school sports without the government providing dinner. Perhaps all the government intervention has made people too dumb and dependent to remember how to pack lunches and snacks.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:33 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
but the Tea Party conviently forgets and just says that seniors earned it and then continues their war on children.

Oh boy, another war....

Old 05-13-2014, 03:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, it's for students in any kind of after school activity, not just athletes. I have no idea why you think its only for student athletes.

Camden, NJ has a similar program:
Gov. Christie, Camden superintendent tout new after school dinner program | NJ.com

More double-dippers.
So what's wrong with the band, choir, student newspaper kids and others staying after school getting a meal? Google does it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
You are the 3rd person in this thread to say this. Are there parents that really don't know you can pack a snack for your child to have after school? My kids play lots of sports. We pack their lunches and a snack for after school.

Either parents have gotten really dumb, or some posters in this thread are playing obtuse to set up a false premise. There are more options between the school feeding kids dinner and parents leaving work every day to take their kids snacks.

Somehow we've survived a long time with after school sports without the government providing dinner. Perhaps all the government intervention has made people too dumb and dependent to remember how to pack lunches and snacks.
IIRC, your kids are quite young. I don't think you've known the "joys" of high school sports, or of high school in general, no? Kids go off to sports practice at 3:30 and don't get done till 6:30. They may have had lunch at 11. What kind of a snack, absent refrigeration, do you think you can pack? An apple or a cookie just doesn't cut it. The "we survived without it" meme is irrelevant.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:34 PM

89,049 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
You are the 3rd person in this thread to say this. Are there parents that really don't know you can pack a snack for your child to have after school?
Apparently, yes. I was stunned by that, too.
Quote:
Either parents have gotten really dumb, or some posters in this thread are playing obtuse to set up a false premise.
Hmmmm... which to believe... Really dumb? Or posting a false premise, not realizing how stupid it looks?
Quote:
There are more options between the school feeding kids dinner and parents leaving work every day to take their kids snacks.

Excellent points.

Perhaps we're becoming an idiocracy?

Idiocracy (2006) - IMDb

Old 05-13-2014, 03:37 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,762,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Apparently, yes. I was stunned by that, too.
Hmmmm... which to believe... Really dumb? Or posting a false premise, not realizing how stupid it looks?
Excellent points.

Perhaps we're becoming an idiocracy?

Idiocracy (2006) - IMDb
Becoming? Already there. Just look around and then read the idiocy that so many post in these forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies