Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 03:39 PM

88,983 posts, read 44,799,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So what's wrong with the band, choir, student newspaper kids and others staying after school getting a meal? Google does it.
At Google, it's an earned benefit.

Feed needy kids for free at school, I have no problem with that, but reduce their parents' food stamp benefits accordingly.

Quote:
The "we survived without it" meme is irrelevant.
No, it's QUITE relevant. Tens if not hundreds of millions of students survived and thrived participating in after school activities without school-provided dinner for decades, myself and my children included. However did we do it?

Old 05-13-2014, 03:51 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,644,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
"Student athletes" is how it's being reported but you can bet whatever you want that if a non-athlete enrolled in FARM would stick around he'd be fed. That would be in the rule/guidelines for the reimbursement grant.
Oh, Heaven forbid!

Old 05-13-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
At Google, it's an earned benefit.

Feed needy kids for free at school, I have no problem with that, but reduce their parents' food stamp benefits accordingly.

No, it's QUITE relevant. Tens if not hundreds of millions of students survived and thrived participating in after school activities without school-provided dinner for decades, myself and my children included. However did we do it?
I know conservatives are stuck in the past.

May I say that times have changed from the 20th century?

Cons MUST know that. They complain about it all the time, so why are you surprised now?

Old 05-13-2014, 03:57 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Oh, Heaven forbid!

Why the ? Just clarifying some stupidity. There seems to be an issue in this thread about the "student-athlete" piece which obscures the global picture.

If 82% of the school's population is FARM eligible then that school is poor. I don't care if people are posting the max family income guidelines to be eligible, the vast majority of the population won't even be close to that number with that overall 82% (which, by the way, qualifies every student in the school to receive free meals, 80% is the number for that cutoff).

The school administration spun this to emphasize the athlete piece.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:00 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,491 times
Quote:
Why should taxpayers be compassionate when they're forced to pay TWICE for the same thing?

Do you pay double the contract price for your house? Or pay double the rent you owe every month? Do you always pay the utility companies twice the amount of your actual bill? Do you pay double the real estate tax you owe, or double the income tax you owe? Do you pay double the pump cost at the gas station? (This could go on and on...)

Do you?
I'm more concerned about my tax dollars paying for unjustified "wars", which are nothing more than the US invading other countries sacrificing the lives of Americans.

Are you?

Old 05-13-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I know conservatives are stuck in the past.

May I say that times have changed from the 20th century?
Not as much as you might think. Students have been involved in after school activities for years and years, or were you unaware of that?

They managed to do so without school-provided dinners for decades. However was that possible?

Old 05-13-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I'm more concerned about my tax dollars paying for unjustified "wars", which are nothing more than the US invading other countries sacrificing the lives of Americans.

Are you?
Yes. I always have been. I also disagree with taxpayers having to fund the U.S. being the world's police. That has enabled other countries to focus their resources on their own economic development, while we subsidized everyone else's national defense.

So... about your double payments for things. What do you pay double for? Your utility bills? Your housing? Do you pay twice your own food bill? Hmmm...?

Old 05-13-2014, 04:08 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,727,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So what's wrong with the band, choir, student newspaper kids and others staying after school getting a meal? Google does it.

IIRC, your kids are quite young. I don't think you've known the "joys" of high school sports, or of high school in general, no? Kids go off to sports practice at 3:30 and don't get done till 6:30. They may have had lunch at 11. What kind of a snack, absent refrigeration, do you think you can pack? An apple or a cookie just doesn't cut it. The "we survived without it" meme is irrelevant.
My older kids are in middle school and play sports. They get on the bus at 6:20 in the morning, and often have sports until 4:30/5:00. Some game days they stayed at school until 8:30. They take all kinds of things for snacks- bananas, apples, clementines, oranges, squeezable fruit, peanut butter sandwiches, pb on graham crackers, nutrigrain bars, etc. etc.
I also freeze cheese sticks and yogurt, but they usually eat those as part of their lunches. They take bigger lunches when they have sports after school.

I cook in the crock pot pretty often so dinner is ready when we get home.
So yes, plenty of experience in this area.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Not as much as you might think. Students have been involved in after school activities for years and years, or were you unaware of that?

They managed to do so without school-provided dinners for decades. However was that possible?
It was possible, in part, because, unlike today, not many mothers worked. Fathers worked, many in union jobs that paid enough for them to buy houses and raise families (and feed them).

But unions are bad!
Making a living wage is bad!

Corporations that send jobs overseas are good!
Allowing Wall Streeters and bankers to lie, cheat, and steal is good!
People like Romney who buy companies and then gut them for profit are good!

Yeah, a lot has changed...

Old 05-13-2014, 04:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
It was possible, in part, because, unlike today, not many mothers worked. Fathers worked, many in union jobs that paid enough for them to buy houses and raise families (and feed them).

But unions are bad!
Making a living wage is bad!

Corporations that send jobs overseas are good!
Allowing Wall Streeters and bankers to lie, cheat, and steal is good!
People like Romney who buy companies and then gut them for profit are good!

Yeah, a lot has changed...
The dinners only started in 2012. So not many mothers worked in 2011 ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies