Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 07:11 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So... students don't eat lunch, and even frequently breakfast, at school? I call BS on that.

Look at the big picture... If parents are getting food stamps for the kids who are getting up to 3 free meals a day at school, their food stamp benefits need to be reduced accordingly. Otherwise, taxpayers are paying TWICE for up to 15 meals (or more, some schools have Saturday meal programs and/or send food home with kids on Fridays for the weekend) per child each week.
I don't know what students do at lunch and breakfast.

Again, the big picture is your uninformed projections that don't make any logical sense, so they aren't worth discussing at least to me.

The program that this is all about is a program that feeds all students who are participating in after school activities. They aren't at home to eat dinner, so why wouldn't the school feed them? Oh no logical answer to that question.

Then you move on to mindless speculation about nothing.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:13 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times
Quote:
No. You didn't read the link. The most is 30 cents, only available to Alaska and Hawaii.

Meanwhile, schools are reimbursed $2.93 by the federal government for every free meal.
Yes, In one of my posts to you I did provide you a link with that information. LOL

Old 05-14-2014, 07:18 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
This is new/news to me:

Supper is served at San Elizario High School - El Paso, Texas

After-school meals are now being served to high school students who are involved in after school activities, San Elizario Independent School District (Texas) officials said. Supper is offered at 4 p.m. and ends at 4:30 p.m. at the high school's cafeteria. The program, which began May 1, is funded through a reimbursement grant from the U.S. Department of Agriculture Child and Adult Care Food Program. Students who opt to stay for supper get a $3.21 meal for free through the grant reimbursement program.

Afterschool Programs | Food and Nutrition Service - Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP)
Child and Adult Care Food Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They should just end the food stamp program. Make the schools be the complete feeding stations they've become.

By giving all meals to the children, the parents can more easily sell the food stamps or throw big parties -- by expensive foods -- which we all know they're doing.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:18 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,784,658 times
Quote:
Yes, it does.

If parents are getting food stamps for the kids who are getting up to 3 free meals a day at school, their food stamp benefits need to be reduced accordingly. Otherwise, taxpayers are paying TWICE for up to 15 meals (or more, some schools have Saturday meal programs and/or send food home with kids on Fridays for the weekend) per child each week.
I bet those parents who are double dipping are putting aside all that money so they can take their annual cruise or vacation in the Bahamas.

I would rather see my taxpayer dollars go to feed kids than cover the $60 per day it takes to cover the cost of an inmate in prison.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:19 AM

89,033 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I don't know what students do at lunch and breakfast.

Again, the big picture is your uninformed projections that don't make any logical sense
How is it that you can't grasp the concept of having to pay for the same thing twice?

I'd really like to know why you can't seem to understand that concept.

Go to the store. Buy a gallon of milk. The price is $4.50, but you have to pay $9.00.

What about that double payment do you not understand?

Old 05-14-2014, 07:22 AM

89,033 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Yes, In one of my posts to you I did provide you a link with that information. LOL
Why are taxpayers paying for kids' free meals at school that their parents get food stamps to provide?

Why aren't food stamp benefits reduced accordingly for free meals provided at school?

Old 05-14-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
How so? How do the answers to those questions change the fact that parents are double-dipping when they receive food stamp benefits to feed children at/from home who get free meals at school?
Yes -- it might be different if the parents had to use some of their foodstamps to pay for all these meals their kids are given at school --- but these parents get to spend or sell the child's portion of the food stamps.

Schools even keep the cafeterias open all summer so that the parents don't have to feed their children, children can eat at school on the taxpayers' dime. Food stamps aren't going to the children.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I bet those parents who are double dipping are putting aside all that money so they can take their annual cruise or vacation in the Bahamas.

I would rather see my taxpayer dollars go to feed kids than cover the $60 per day it takes to cover the cost of an inmate in prison.
Since the parents aren't feeding the kids with the expensive food stamp program, it would be better to just end that whole farce and just allow the schools to provide them all their meals -- and cut the lazy do-nothing parents off.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:30 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Why are taxpayers paying for kids' free meals at school that their parents get food stamps to provide?

Why aren't food stamp benefits reduced accordingly for free meals provided at school?
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Since the parents aren't feeding the kids with the expensive food stamp program, it would be better to just end that whole farce and just allow the schools to provide them all their meals -- and cut the lazy do-nothing parents off.
Did someone post proof that every one of the families of the approximately 200 kids getting dinner receive SNAP?
If so, please do point me to that post.
If not, the above comments are nothing more than mean-spirited speculation.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Did someone post proof that every one of the families of the approximately 200 kids getting dinner receive SNAP?
If so, please do point me to that post.
If not, the above comments are nothing more than mean-spirited speculation.
89% is the number courtesy of the USDA (which I posted earlier in this thread).
So about 178 of those 200 kids come from families on SNAP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies