Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 04:29 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,652,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
OMG!!! Why didn't that poster die from the lack of government-provided dinner at school? How on earth did that poster ever survive?
I already stated my thoughts on that.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:31 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I didn't answer because it's a stupid question.
No, it isn't. Parents get additional food stamp benefits for each child, but those children are now in many cases eating free breakfast, lunch, and dinner at school. Reduce the parents' food stamp benefits correspondingly for those free school meals.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I don't have an issue with feeding children.

I do have an issue with double dipping. The family continues to receive SNAP benefits equal to about $4.50 per qualifying individual a day. Getting wild and crazy, Octo Mom would receive about $63 a day for all 14 of her kids. If those kids were taking their meals at school, on school days, that totals about $1,323 a month
Exactly.

This woman comes to mind...

Somebody need to pay for my 15 kids - YouTube

15 kids. Many fed for free at school. While she gets a minimum of $2,000 per month in SNAP benefits (Florida) counting only her kids.
Average Monthly Food Stamp Benefits Per Person | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Old 05-13-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I already stated my thoughts on that.
They were irrelevant. A non-working Mom isn't at school to feed her children who participate in after school activities. Try again.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I don't have an issue with feeding children.

I do have an issue with double dipping. The family continues to receive SNAP benefits equal to about $4.50 per qualifying individual a day. Getting wild and crazy, Octo Mom would receive about $63 a day for all 14 of her kids. If those kids were taking their meals at school, on school days, that totals about $1,323 a month/

They must be eating quite well on off days.

As for the Nigerian girls, that's Nigeria's problem to solve. Their country. Their back roads. Their terrorists, Their children. Seems to me they prefer not to solve it and instead, expect the U.S. to do so , for them.
The program also provides food for weekends, holidays and summer.
You don't think they would let hungry kids go home for 2 days (Sat/Sun) without eating do you ?
They send home bags of food on Fridays now.
Schools are open during holidays and during the summer just to feed the kids.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The program also provides food for weekends, holidays and summer.
You don't think they would let hungry kids go home for 2 days (Sat/Sun) without eating do you ?
They send home bags of food on Fridays now.
That's true.
Midcoast schools, hunger prevention programs team up to send healthy meals home with kids in need — Midcoast — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine

Quote:
Schools are open during holidays and during the summer just to feed the kids.
Also true.
Chicago Public Schools : Summer Food Program

Meanwhile... their parents continue to collect full SNAP benefits for every one of their children.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:44 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,785,535 times
Quote:
No, it isn't. Parents get additional food stamp benefits for each child, but those children are now in many cases eating free breakfast, lunch, and dinner at school. Reduce the parents' food stamp benefits correspondingly for those free school meals.
Just how much are those parents or parent receiving in food stamps, what is their monthly income if they are employed, how many children do they have and what states do they live in? The amount one receives in food stamps varies from state to state. Many of those that receive food stamps work AND pay tax and I doubt they can afford to eat eggs Benedict for breakfast.

You just have it in your head that the parent or parents don't work, they are getting way too much in food stamps (thousands of dollars a month), living in a high priced apartment or a quarter million dollar house and are irresponsible and lazy good for nothings.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:47 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,785,535 times
Quote:
Exactly.

This woman comes to mind...

Somebody need to pay for my 15 kids - YouTube

15 kids. Many fed for free at school. While she gets a minimum of $2,000 per month in SNAP benefits (Florida) counting only her kids.
Average Monthly Food Stamp Benefits Per Person | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

That old video again??

Yes, she's the poster girl for every woman who gets food stamps because she's so typical of the type of women who get food stamps.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Just how much are those parents or parent receiving in food stamps, what is their monthly income if they are employed, how many children do they have and what states do they live in? The amount one receives in food stamps varies from state to state.
All irrespective of the fact that parents who are receiving SNAP benefits for children who are also receiving free meals at/from school are double-dipping.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Not as much as you might think. Students have been involved in after school activities for years and years, or were you unaware of that?

They managed to do so without school-provided dinners for decades. However was that possible?
I think in many cases, the coaches provided snacks. Now, whether they had a budget for that, or the booster club paid for them, or what, I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
My older kids are in middle school and play sports. They get on the bus at 6:20 in the morning, and often have sports until 4:30/5:00. Some game days they stayed at school until 8:30. They take all kinds of things for snacks- bananas, apples, clementines, oranges, squeezable fruit, peanut butter sandwiches, pb on graham crackers, nutrigrain bars, etc. etc.
I also freeze cheese sticks and yogurt, but they usually eat those as part of their lunches. They take bigger lunches when they have sports after school.

I cook in the crock pot pretty often so dinner is ready when we get home.
So yes, plenty of experience in this area.
I have a feeling 4:30/5:00 is really 4:30. And some game days they stay till 8:30? Look at every day, 5 days a week in season for high school sports, later on game nights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies