Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 08:44 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I didn't call the event a lie, I called it simple-minded.
The event was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 08:45 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't know.....how many tornado's will we have in the next 200 years? Shouldn't we be stopping them instead?
I haven't seen clear enough evidence to link the growing number of tornadoes to global warming. Yes we see higher absolute numbers reported, but that is more of a better reporting and tracking then a global warming thing.

Those who deny its an issue however are the same sort of people who ignore termites in their home. It IS an issue. And one we need to consider. We probably should try and lower pollution. We shouldn't do it at such a level that we seriously impact our economy however. But thats more because I believe that long term we're going to have better technological solutions, then me thinking its not a real problem.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:46 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,552,145 times
Quote:
The event was.
Funny? I don't deny it was ironic.

It doesn't diminish the threat of rising water.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:46 PM

25,770 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Son of a *****! Why do you have to do this? I'm going to have nightmares all night now...

Oh wait. I just read that the the ice caps of Antarctic have, in the past, been completely absent. It seems that Antarctica was at one time classified geologically as a "hot, dry desert" with quite an array of fossilized plants and animals to prove it--dinosaurs and the whole nine yards. Sheesh... I'm sure glad I dug a little deeper than the Henny Penny AGW folks' take on the matter. That was close. I can sleep now.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:49 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
I don't know.....how many tornado's will we have in the next 200 years? Shouldn't we be stopping them instead?
Your guess is as good as mine on that.

I doubt that anybody can stop a tornado, but if I lived in a mobile home where they are common I might consider something a little more stout.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:49 PM

25,770 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
Looks like we will have to mobilize troops, occupy China and enforce EPA emission regulations or we will all die.
No, but with a "small" fee, you may be able to save the ice. And the world, of course. I've heard the government may accept paypal payments soon. Come on, you know you want to do it. Do it for the children. Paypal to Save the World (PSW). And don't forget to tell all your friends. PSW! PSW! We can do this together. Come on... take my hand.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:50 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Any Warmer who owns a car or heats or cools his house is a total fraud and hypocrite.
Off topic....This thread is not about AGW.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:51 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
I saw the story on this in my local paper. The prediction of the ice sheet falling is based solely on computer models.

I try to stay out of these debates not being a physicist, but I have a rudimentary knowledge of computer modeling from studying econometrics in school, eons ago. I was not a science guy but I took a one quarter ecology course towards my school's one year science requirement. For the ecology class I decided to write a paper on modeling ecology when one particular species has a radically higher rate of evolution, based on the thought that technology is a sort of evolution. I came up with a mathematical model to represent this, and wrote a program in FORTRAN. The prof loved it, gave me an A, but of course the results were worthless as far as predictive value.

I happened to read this recent article in New Scientist.
Is it time to stop worrying about global warming? - environment - 06 December 2013 - New Scientist
The computer models did not predict a slowdown in global warming. Of course the modelers have a thousand excuses. I'm all ears when it comes to global warming, but I'd like to see something more than computer models and lefty politicos for whom the solution to everything is a tax hike.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:51 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I haven't seen clear enough evidence to link the growing number of tornadoes to global warming.
Isn't "global warming" passé?

Quote:
Yes we see higher absolute numbers reported, but that is more of a better reporting and tracking then a global warming thing.

Those who deny its an issue however are the same sort of people who ignore termites in their home. It IS an issue. And one we need to consider. We probably should try and lower pollution. We shouldn't do it at such a level that we seriously impact our economy however. But thats more because I believe that long term we're going to have better technological solutions, then me thinking its not a real problem.
It's too bad that those who argue for reasonable actions are few and far between.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:01 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
Looks like we will have to mobilize troops, occupy China and enforce EPA emission regulations or we will all die.
Well, I wouldn't hit the panic button if I were you.

It seems to me it would be much more practical to think about building some sea walls or other diversions, set building lines a little further back from the shore, develop more flood resistant construction techniques, etc. Even if the sea level rise is decades off, you're still much better prepared to deal with a hurricane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies