Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 09:02 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,204,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Son of a *****! Why do you have to do this? I'm going to have nightmares all night now...

Oh wait. I just read that the the ice caps of Antarctic have, in the past, been completely absent. It seems that Antarctica was at one time classified geologically as a "hot, dry desert" with quite an array of fossilized plants and animals to prove it--dinosaurs and the whole nine yards. Sheesh... I'm sure glad I dug a little deeper than the Henny Penny AGW folks' take on the matter. That was close. I can sleep now.
You realize that the continent Antarctica which will have to have its man changed in a some million years hasn't always been located at the south pole of Earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 09:08 PM

25,771 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
You realize that the continent Antarctica which will have to have its man changed in a some million years hasn't always been located at the south pole of Earth.
Absolutely. And I don't see anyone panicking about continental drift. You folks think you have or can have control over everything. The US could be where Antarctica is now someday. Would warming still be a problem?

But we can stop continental drift now if we each pay a small "Drift Tax" to the government. Not paying your Drift Tax is simply un-American. You see, each time you take a step, you are causing small vibrations that aggravate this drifting. A Tax would help dampen these small waves you are causing because your wallet would be lighter.

Not to mention that the US is in danger of capsizing.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:15 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Too many people get hung up in the battle over whether humans are somehow "at fault" for climate change.

While we are probably not helping the situation, in my opinion that's totally beside the point.

The key issue is how we respond to changes in the natural world. Like it or not, they have always happened.

So why not be prepared?

Old 05-13-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Too many people get hung up in the battle over whether humans are somehow "at fault" for climate change.

While we are probably not helping the situation, in my opinion that's totally beside the point.

The key issue is how we respond to changes in the natural world. Like it or not, they have always happened.

So why not be prepared?
And you know, I can at least see your point. But I cannot see any point that attempts to simply profit from this change as so many different segments of the government and private sectors are obviously trying to do.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:20 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
I love nature. I spend plenty of time in it - fishing, hunting, gardening, at the beach, etc, etc. I want clean air and clean water. However, the ideas that have been floated by the left lately are so out there that I could never support them. They pretty much want to tax air and they think this will stop things like ice melting (seriously, this is tantamount to selling the Brooklyn bridge and some people are buying it!). I think the state of the ice sheet in Antarctica is interesting from a science point of view but just wait, next thing you know, liberal politicians will be yelling we need to tax us all into oblivion to 'save' the ice sheet.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I love nature. I spend plenty of time in it - fishing, hunting, gardening, at the beach, etc, etc. I want clean air and clean water. However, the ideas that have been floated by the left lately are so out there that I could never support them. They pretty much want to tax air and they think this will stop things like ice melting (seriously, this is tantamount to selling the Brooklyn bridge and some people are buying it!). I think the state of the ice sheet in Antarctica is interesting from a science point of view but just wait, next thing you know, liberal politicians will be yelling we need to tax us all into oblivion to 'save' the ice sheet.
And they can't. That the part nobody seems to understand.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:26 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Off topic....This thread is not about AGW.
In the OP:

"Global warming caused by the human-driven release of greenhouse gases has helped to destabilize the ice sheet, though other factors may also be involved, the scientists said."

Old 05-13-2014, 09:34 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
In the OP:

"Global warming caused by the human-driven release of greenhouse gases has helped to destabilize the ice sheet, though other factors may also be involved, the scientists said."
I stand corrected.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:41 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosph...ent.arctic.png

The Arctic is where the ice melt is.

The northern hemisphere pumps out the smog.
Wait, wasn't it smog and dust that created the ice age?

Old 05-13-2014, 09:45 PM

27,156 posts, read 15,330,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
A simple-minded cartoon.

How helpful.

Short Term "In the News" memory loss?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies