Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2014, 01:48 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,911,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Did anyone hear of this Ann Hornaday op-ed? In a final videotaped message, a sad reflection of the sexist stories we so often see on screen - The Washington Post Personally this is a load of bunk.
Yep, that was puke worthy. We all know movies ain't reality. Rodgers, in his manifesto, referenced actual events, not movie scenes.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:26 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,372,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Did you loss make the world news? Did anyone stick a microphone in your face just after it happened? You can't predict what you'd say if you had been in his shoes just hours after the murders. Also, the fact that you can't tell the difference between "show boating" and raw grief is disturbing and very sad.
Yes....in fact it did.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Google puts his last (and only) public contact at Sunday, May 25th. So it's plain to see you're just making stuff up when you characterized him as "continuing his whining" as you so inelegantly put it.

He is under a great deal of stress right now. That doesn't translate to a need to be locked up.

Wrong. He did not choose to enter the political arena. A mass murder that took his son threw him in the spotlight. Another person's very fresh and real grief is never fair game.
Well, Google musta missed this:

Father of Isla Vista shooting victim repeats call for gun-control legislation | World news | The Guardian

I don't make stuff up. The man entered the political arena. Google is only as efficient as the man (or woman?) googling.

The whiner is here to stay.

Quote:

I don’t care about your sympathy. I don’t give a s--- that you feel sorry for
me,” Richard Martinez said during an extensive interview, his face flushed as
tears rolled down his face. “Get to work and do something. I’ll tell the
president the same thing if he calls me. Getting a call from a politician
doesn’t impress me.”

Saying “we are all to blame” for the death of his 20-year-old son, Martinez
urged the public to join him in demanding “immediate action” from members of
Congress and President Barack Obama to curb gun violence by passing stricter
gun-control laws.

“Today, I’m going to ask every person I can find to send a postcard to every
politician they can think of with three words on it: Not one more,” he said
Tuesday. “People are looking for something to do. I’m asking people to stand up
for something. Enough is enough.”
And this:

Quote:
Martinez, 60, vaulted into the spotlight Saturday when he crashed a Santa
Barbara County Sheriff’s Office news conference at which deputies spelled out
the details of the knifing and shooting attacks by Elliot Rodger, the
22-year-old who killed six people before shooting himself.
Martinez was not caught by surprise. He's a defense attorney he has appealed to an audience before.

Above excerpts are from this link:

http://www.pressherald.com/news/nati...to_work__.html

Last edited by whogo; 05-28-2014 at 03:12 PM..

Old 05-28-2014, 02:46 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,913,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Did anyone hear of this Ann Hornaday op-ed? In a final videotaped message, a sad reflection of the sexist stories we so often see on screen - The Washington Post Personally this is a load of bunk.
Since the author doesn't assert anything, actually, I'm not sure what is a load of bunk.

She's simply wondering about the source of Rodger's unrealistic expectations when it comes to women and sex.

Yes, he was mentally ill. But there's not a mental illness called "I am THE Alpha Male and hot women will want to have sex with me or I will kill them." That's a delusion that his mental illness helped him to entertain. But what was the source of the delusion, how was it reinforced in our society? Because the social reinforcement is what empowered him to refuse the medication, to refute not one but several therapists' diagnoses. Something in his reality created this delusion.

I think this is way beyond a case of misogyny, Rodger had anger issues and self-esteem issues, he had some very real problems. One of the articles I read today said that our society makes men who are hot, rich, or powerful the winners and all other men the losers. I think that's bunk. Not just because there are many men who are just average Joe's who have great personal relationships with women, but because this guy wasn't ugly, and wasn't poor. He may have been short, but so are many men. And he may not have had a large personal fortune, but he had a successful father, and the right connections to at least earning a comfortable living.

His "manifesto" and his videos really convey a feeling of entitlement. And it's a feeling of entitlement that many men do seem to share, given the amount of sexual harassment and abuse that women suffer. So I don't think it's bunk to wonder about the source of that feeling of entitlement.

It's not okay to blame society for his mental illness. But I think it is okay to wonder about how our culture played into his mental illness.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:21 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,428,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Actually there were 106 mass shootings this year alone.

Here: 2014massshootings - GunsAreCool

I clicked on the first link and read "Police say rival gang members..."

Most of the shootings you listed were not "mass shootings" in the sense of this discussion.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:04 PM

46,323 posts, read 27,157,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
What automatic weapon?
Still waiting......dare a leftist/gun hater be wrong and not understand what they are talking about?

Old 05-28-2014, 06:21 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,648,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Still waiting......dare a leftist/gun hater be wrong and not understand what they are talking about?
Perish the thought!!! They are firearms EXPERTS. Probably have a friend that's a cop. What better source of information could there be?

Old 05-28-2014, 06:55 PM

27,218 posts, read 46,791,599 times
This murderer was kicked out of elementary private school and I still don't understand how he could be allowed to be in a room wi 3 other students after a history of being a clear nut case and the parents probably rather had him gone and someone else's problem!

Old 05-28-2014, 07:12 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,273,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
This murderer was kicked out of elementary private school and I still don't understand how he could be allowed to be in a room wi 3 other students after a history of being a clear nut case and the parents probably rather had him gone and someone else's problem!
By the accounts I've seen the parents had tried to get him help. They called the police and told them he was going to harm people. What should they have done from there?

Old 05-28-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
By the accounts I've seen the parents had tried to get him help. They called the police and told them he was going to harm people. What should they have done from there?
Hired a blonde hooker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies