Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2014, 05:11 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
No, it's way lower. Every industrialized country on the planet has less crime than the US.

try reading about it from the report that the UN put out instead of getting your information from liberal talking points. the chances of having a violent crime visited on you in the UK is over 4000 in 100,000.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:55 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
First of all it's not New York Times survey, read the article, and second registered gun owners do not have to hide the fact they own guns. The reality is that gun ownership in household went down and so did the crime.
Like in every other industrialized nation.
Not buying it...How can firearms owner ship be down ? Firearms companies have had record sales the last 3 or 4 years , ammo is scarce more and more people are getting CPL's. In my little microcosm called work I know 7 people that are new firearms owners this past year alone. I'm sorry , I'm not buy those stats, believe what you want though.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:58 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Not buying it...How can firearms owner ship be down ? Firearms companies have had record sales the last 3 or 4 years , ammo is scarce more and more people are getting CPL's. In my little microcosm called work I know 7 people that are new firearms owners this past year alone. I'm sorry , I'm not buy those stats, believe what you want though.
We had to go to three gun shops to buy 22 shells last week.

The stock is getting low.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:52 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,040,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
It's because it's simply not true. The number of people willing to admit that they own firearms has gone done, that's no big surprise.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:53 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,040,171 times
Quote:
Cause you haven't read it. Were talking gun ownership PER HOUSEHOLD. Many people own multiple guns but the number of households with guns is steadily going down. It's mostly a result of restrictions on gun ownership in recent years and America becoming more and more urbanized.
Can you prove that? You're basing all of your assumptions on an anonymous survey, not on actual data.

I'm a gun owner, I would never answer yes to a survey asking me if I have firearms in my home.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:10 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,436,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Remember this the next time the gun nuts post a thread to only highlight when guns are used defensively. There is over an order of magnitude more cases of criminal gun use.

http://nocera.blogs.nytimes.com/2014...88400000&_r=2&

That's 11,268 people killed or injured vs just 331 instances of defensive gun use in the whole damn country. It's a completely different scale.

i'm not conservative or a liberal . . .social policies i'm quite open. Financial I can tend to be quite conservative. . .

Guns - as an analytically person, they are about as smart to buy for self defense as someone buying a swimming pool to save a toddler from drowning.

if you buy a gun for self defense. . at least for 90% of Americans - your just horrible at math. . much like the people who drive because they fear a plane crash.

With that being said buying guns for hunting or to collect is a different matter and I have no specific qualms there.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:19 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
i'm not conservative or a liberal . . .social policies i'm quite open. Financial I can tend to be quite conservative. . .

Guns - as an analytically person, they are about as smart to buy for self defense as someone buying a swimming pool to save a toddler from drowning.

if you buy a gun for self defense. . at least for 90% of Americans - your just horrible at math. . much like the people who drive because they fear a plane crash.

With that being said buying guns for hunting or to collect is a different matter and I have no specific qualms there.
You do have a point.

If a person does not have the nerve to shoot to kill.....do not try and protect yourself with a gun.

The person you fear just might take your gun and kill you.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:20 AM

29,503 posts, read 14,663,209 times
Quote:
Cause you haven't read it. Were talking gun ownership PER HOUSEHOLD. Many people own multiple guns but the number of households with guns is steadily going down. It's mostly a result of restrictions on gun ownership in recent years and America becoming more and more urbanized.
Still not buying it. The amount firearms sales has sky rocketed is not just previous owners buying a few more.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:20 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Ignorant thread.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:07 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,503,896 times
Quote:
Burden of proof? For three decades, since 1960, the homicide rate in England was doubling every decade.
To reverse that trend, an absolute ban on guns was put into a law in 1997. The rising homicide has not only been stopped but reversed and now the homicide dropped by 25% compared to 1997, when the ban on guns became the law in England and Wales.

Now, prove that it was not the ban on guns but something else that resulted in reversing a 30 years old trend and 25% drop in homicides. Lol Good luck. Lol
Ugh, that is not direct evidence, that is correlation. Try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies