Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2014, 09:26 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
Where is that report? Have you seen it or simply repeat idiotic conservative talking points yourself...

sorry, not a conservative. all you have to do is google it, but I do know how doing such would confuse you.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:39 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,040,171 times
Quote:
That's just you so statistically irrelevant. Yes, we do consider anonymous polls by respectable organizations hard data as opposed to hearsay posted in an anonymous forum like this one.
The "hard data" shows that the number of guns being sold to private individuals has skyrocketed in the last 5 - 6 years, it's completely off the charts. Ammo is even worse, in many areas it's still hard to find ammo of certain calibers. The number of people applying for concealed carry permits in states which allow them has gone off the charts, the states have had a hard time keeping up with the background checks and paperwork processing. At one point the FBI couldn't keep up with the background check portion of the process.

More "hard data" shows that crime rates of all types have dropped in the US during the same period of time.

Of course you have a poll which is based on people's anonymous answer, not on sales data or crime stats.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:45 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,689,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Can you prove that? You're basing all of your assumptions on an anonymous survey, not on actual data.

I'm a gun owner, I would never answer yes to a survey asking me if I have firearms in my home.

This x 1000. It is absolutely nobody else's business but my own. I would never answer "yes" on any such survey either.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:46 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,503,896 times
Quote:
The "hard data" shows that the number of guns being sold to private individuals has skyrocketed in the last 5 - 6 years, it's completely off the charts. Ammo is even worse, in many areas it's still hard to find ammo of certain calibers. The number of people applying for concealed carry permits in states which allow them has gone off the charts, the states have had a hard time keeping up with the background checks and paperwork processing. At one point the FBI couldn't keep up with the background check portion of the process.

More "hard data" shows that crime rates of all types have dropped in the US during the same period of time.

Of course you have a poll which is based on people's anonymous answer, not on sales data or crime stats.
All the women I personally know have bought their first gun within the last couple years. A lot of people without guns are getting scared by the shortages that come and go, and they are "buying one before it is too late".

His poll completely disregards people who own guns but aren't willing to tell strangers over the phone about them, anonymous or not. Most gun owners I know would respond to that question with a no. Some would brag about how many they have, but most would have a "none of your damn business" attitude.

Old 06-04-2014, 09:48 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,689,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
i'm not conservative or a liberal . . .social policies i'm quite open. Financial I can tend to be quite conservative. . .

Guns - as an analytically person, they are about as smart to buy for self defense as someone buying a swimming pool to save a toddler from drowning.

if you buy a gun for self defense. . at least for 90% of Americans - your just horrible at math. . much like the people who drive because they fear a plane crash.

With that being said buying guns for hunting or to collect is a different matter and I have no specific qualms there.

Do you have insurance for your home? Then by the same definition you're horrible at math since the odds are good that nothing will happen. I look at having a firearm for self defense as good insurance, I hope to never need it for that, but if I do, I'll be very glad it is there rather than hoping that the police, who have no legal requirement to protect you, get there fast enough.

Acting like being able to shoot a gun accurately is some mythical skill that only a select few can master is bunk also. In basic training we generally picked up the ability to fire accurately, consistently, in a couple days. I've taught friends and family to shoot and have seen people go from shaky and nervous to confident shooters in a few hours. Like anything else it requires repeated practice but then again, the shooting ranges, indoor and outdoor don't seem to lack for people either. The reality is that just by having a gun you've got a deterrent at worst, your average burglar only wants the low hanging fruit and doesn't like the thought of being shot anymore than anyone else. It also makes for a great equalizer, frequently we hear stories about elderly folks warding off assailants with a firearm and such.

The answer is simple, if you don't think a gun for self defense makes sense, don't buy one. Let others do as they wish.

Last edited by Juram; 06-04-2014 at 10:03 AM..

Old 06-04-2014, 09:57 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,040,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
His poll completely disregards people who own guns but aren't willing to tell strangers over the phone about them, anonymous or not. Most gun owners I know would respond to that question with a no. Some would brag about how many they have, but most would have a "none of your damn business" attitude.
Anti gun morons will never understand this.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Anti gun morons will never understand this.
Unfortunately, they have their minds made up and have closed the door to reason, reality, and facts.

The same poster that posted that poll is claiming that rights only exist if your current government writes them down on paper for you in another thread. He says there is no such thing as unalienable rights.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:18 AM

864 posts, read 800,109 times
The 4000 that are dying are all located in liberal democratic stronghold cities like Oakland, Chicago, Detroit, and Washington D.C. Maybe the liberals should voluntarily give up their 2nd amendment rights so that they can stop all the blood shed in their homes.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Cool View Post
The 4000 that are dying are all located in liberal democratic stronghold cities like Oakland, Chicago, Detroit, and Washington D.C. Maybe the liberals should voluntarily give up their 2nd amendment rights so that they can stop all the blood shed in their homes.
That wouldn't be a problem for them, according to the biggest anti-gun guy in this thread and another, rights simply do not exist.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
And still the gun ownership rate has dropped since 1970's.... Hence the drop in crime.

What hard data?
Ugh, for the umpteenth-thousandth time, correlation does not equal causation. You are basing all your arguments on fallacies. There are more guns, period. If more guns = more crime, there would be more crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies