Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 10:07 PM

137 posts, read 272,997 times

Advertisements

You know, it's actually a privilege to be exposed to other languages.

The US is the only country I have lived in where LESS exposure to languages, not more is valued by some people.

No wonder other countries think we seem happily ignorant.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:09 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,305,558 times
Default Does it upset you when you are in a public place and English is not spoken?

Twice in Miami, I was refused service because I didn't speak Spanish.
I got pretty upset then.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:12 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,738,233 times
Free country. I don't care. Speak Klingon. It's not my business.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:12 PM

45,231 posts, read 26,457,645 times
And its not just the language thing that irks me, its all these darn furrin cars on the road

Old 07-01-2014, 10:17 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I have been to several places this evening (Whole Foods, mall, and Target) and it seemed like few people there were speaking English - people were speaking in languages other than English. Does going into a public place and hearing a lack of English, especially in a nonethnic neighborhood, bother you?
Nope. It can be kind of fun if it's a language I kind of know, I try to translate.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:19 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
I have been to several places this evening (Whole Foods, mall, and Target) and it seemed like few people there were speaking English - people were speaking in languages other than English. Does going into a public place and hearing a lack of English, especially in a nonethnic neighborhood, bother you?
Nope. Why? Should it?
Everywhere I go, I hear French, Russian, Farsi, Tagalog, Chinese....you name it.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:20 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
Quote:
Only if I think they might be saying, "Kill the white person." LOL

My husband and I recently went on vacation in the Vegas area and went to Hoover Dam and by the end of the day we were joking about the fact that we had heard our language very little that day.

In our own county on a trip to our health club I can hear many different languages and many accents before getting home. I was bothered one day when I worked, by a person who spoke another language coming to my desk and demanding that I find him someone who spoke Spanish. I could see him asking for that but since this is America, I didn't feel he had a right to demand it very loudly.

We came to the point that we had to learn to speak Spanish to control the children whose parents brought them into our place and just let them "go wild." They could mess up enough stuff in a few minutes for us to have to straighten up for the rest of the day.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:27 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,992,839 times
If you think grocery stores and fast food joints are hot beds of non-english speakers just try some of our hospitals and medical care facillities. In the Washington DC area there are a lot of nurses and physicians assistants from either the Phillipines or The Carribean or West Africa (Ghana or Nigeria). At my Dialysis Clinic the Clinic the manager is Fillipino, as are the charge nurses, and 3/4 of the Dialysis technicians the others are 1 Puerto Rican, 1 Chinese, 2 Ghanians and a Nicaraguan. Not a single member of the staff is American. A member of the DC city council (Marion Barry) who was hospitalized for kidney failure and received a kidney transplant actually complained to the management of the Washington Hospital Center (The regional transpalnt hospital) that none of his nurses was a person born in the Distric but were all Fillipinos! Kinda upset our Fillipino community here.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:29 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Especially when they all pull out their food stamp cards.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:30 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Twice in Miami, I was refused service because I didn't speak Spanish.
I got pretty upset then.
A few years back we went to Sea World. I noticed an employee guide and asked her where the rest room was. She could not understand me enough to answer. And don't ask a maid anything in a hotel anymore. They don't have a clue what you are saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies