Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 02:21 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,284,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
In regards to the bolded part of your post, nobody comes in and inspects your firearms.
BATFE reserve the right (and you permit them that right) to come and do any spot check at any time, as long as it's considered reasonable. So they couldn't inspect every day, but could in theory inspect every 6 months. I know people with various Title II NFA items who have been inspected, and people who have not been inspected at all. It's something that owners need to be careful of, where SBR owners have had one registered SBR two uppers for that SBR an identical lower and been prosecuted for constructive possession of an unregistered SBR.

Quote:
The Form 4 you submit with your fingerprint card to BATFE is routed to the CLEO in your town, city or municipality and he must sign off on it as being informed that there is an MP5 at the following address. If the CLEO refuses to sign off on your form 4 for any reason, your approval will be denied.
You route the form to your CLEO, not BATFE, you submit it to them, and they return it signed (or not) then you submit it to BATFE.

CLEO has no right to be informed nor are BATFE required by law to inform, they normally do zero communications with local LEO the transferor does all the communicating, and any notification of weapons the police can take from the form 4 if they want (but they may not know what the weapon is, the model is the manufacturers model as registered, not the vernacular for that item, so a transfer of an HK54 may be an actual MP5, but the form would state Machinegun 9mm BBL 8.9" OAL 27" HK54). It's not just local CLEO either, it may be local CLEO, county Sheriff, State CLEO, local, county or State DA. Moreover that only applies to a personal transfer, trusts, and corps do not need to complete sections 16 and 17 of a form 4. Nor do BATFE have any permission to inspect the current possessors premises, only the trust/corp premises storage facilities (which may be the same as the trustee/boardmembers residence but need not be) BATFE will arrange a time to inspect and the items must be at that storage facility at that time however.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:34 AM

9,282 posts, read 6,751,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
BATFE reserve the right (and you permit them that right) to come and do any spot check at any time, as long as it's considered reasonable. So they couldn't inspect every day, but could in theory inspect every 6 months. I know people with various Title II NFA items who have been inspected, and people who have not been inspected at all. It's something that owners need to be careful of, where SBR owners have had one registered SBR two uppers for that SBR an identical lower and been prosecuted for constructive possession of an unregistered SBR.

You route the form to your CLEO, not BATFE, you submit it to them, and they return it signed (or not) then you submit it to BATFE.

CLEO has no right to be informed nor are BATFE required by law to inform, they normally do zero communications with local LEO the transferor does all the communicating, and any notification of weapons the police can take from the form 4 if they want (but they may not know what the weapon is, the model is the manufacturers model as registered, not the vernacular for that item, so a transfer of an HK54 may be an actual MP5, but the form would state Machinegun 9mm BBL 8.9" OAL 27" HK54). It's not just local CLEO either, it may be local CLEO, county Sheriff, State CLEO, local, county or State DA. Moreover that only applies to a personal transfer, trusts, and corps do not need to complete sections 16 and 17 of a form 4. Nor do BATFE have any permission to inspect the current possessors premises, only the trust/corp premises storage facilities (which may be the same as the trustee/boardmembers residence but need not be) BATFE will arrange a time to inspect and the items must be at that storage facility at that time however.
What is your take on this idea?

Old 08-12-2014, 02:44 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,284,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
What is your take on this idea?
Which Idea?

Reopening the registry? Sounds like a good idea to be frank, I never liked the way that Hughes was passed in the first place. There was never a truer demonstration of how the US is not a democracy (much to many peoples chagrin I would presume ).

Old 08-12-2014, 02:50 AM

9,282 posts, read 6,751,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Which Idea?

Reopening the registry? Sounds like a good idea to be frank, I never liked the way that Hughes was passed in the first place. There was never a truer demonstration of how the US is not a democracy (much to many peoples chagrin I would presume ).
Failed two votes and still added...I really hope who ever added that bill burns in hell as for Representative Hughes I give the tard at 2 year max before he in the ground..

A belt fed AR15 and a select fire Glock..Maybe with a 2 or 3 round bust that can use a .22LR kit as well...

I would gladly pay my happy switch tax for it.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:45 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,279,992 times
Practically speaking, I don't think the registry will ever be reopened - have you considered the inevitable pushback from current class III owners who paid thousands for their FA weapons? Reopen the registry and those guns take a huge hit in resale value.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:08 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,836,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
Practically speaking, I don't think the registry will ever be reopened - have you considered the inevitable pushback from current class III owners who paid thousands for their FA weapons? Reopen the registry and those guns take a huge hit in resale value.
But those same owners would be able to buy what ever new gun they want for production price +$200. Most people would be fine with the trade off, they are not investors.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:17 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,918,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
They relied on the .gov to create an artificial scarcity to drive up the price of a product. Maybe they won't do that again.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
But those same owners would be able to buy what ever new gun they want for production price +$200. Most people would be fine with the trade off, they are not investors.

I doubt it very much, people just aren't wired this way in my experience. Rational or not, they always expect to get what they paid or more when they sell something expensive like an MG. I don't think it's unreasonable to suppose that many current MG owners justified their purchases with something like "what a fun investment".

Even rare collectable MG's like WWII Thompson's would drop in price if Auto Ordnance were able to add new ones to the registry - a $20K collectable would probably be worth half that or less.

Honestly, I've never had much interest in owning FA stuff - even if there were an open registry. They eat ammo like crazy, so I couldn't afford to feed one even if the gun itself didn't cost more than my car.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
They relied on the .gov to create an artificial scarcity to drive up the price of a product. Maybe they won't do that again.
Not saying it's right... just that it is the way it is and the change would not be popular with all gun owners. Given how unpopular it would be with the likes of Bloomberg, I don't discount the effect of a very negative and vocal minority within the gun community.

In the abstract, I think it's a great idea - I just don't ever expect to see it happen.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:17 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,906,368 times
Quote:
No, they are not always correct. No government entity is perfect all the time. But it is the most perfect system we have been able to cobble together in the history of humanity. Innocent people get convicted. Corporations are deemed people and the 2nd amendment is subject to reasonable restrictions. We as a society agree to abide by their decisions. Once you lose the rule of law, then society collapses into chaos.
Admittedly, it is a very poor law, IMO. A clear case of the government sneaking one in on the people, But then, the 2nd amendment had not been affirmed by the courts to be an individual right. It would be interesting to legally revisit. NRA has more money than God, perhaps they could take it on. Sure would be a good fund raiser for them no natter the judicial outcome.
Problem is, when you start overturning longstanding federal laws you end up bumping into state's rights and their abilities to set even more draconian restrictions.
For gun rights advocates, the threat is not so much from the feds except for small annoying actions. It's from the states who enact very restrictive gun ownership policies. Maryland, New Jersey and California stand out in this regard.
I'm not against lifting the grandfathered requirement of MGs and Subs. We should be able to purchase newer models and current issue units. But i would keep the Form 4s, the 200.00 Tax Stamp charge and the thorough background check as it exist today. I would also continue the requirement of notifying the CLEO (Chief Law Enforcement Officer) in the location where the MG will be located. I have relatives who are in LE. They want to know where those MGs are for personal safety. Other than that, I wouldn't mind some of the new HK and Sig models, among others, now circulating.
Biggest problems I see are there are people here on this board who think those restrictions I just pointed out are still unconstitutional and would fight lifting the grandfather clause tooth and nail because of the background check and the tax stamp.

NRA has more money than who?
How about big Pharma - you know...those who really wrote ACA.

Like all LWNJ progressive liberals you are in favor of repealing the 2A. What part of "shall not infringe" is indicipherable to you guys? Libs seem to understand the rest they cherry pick out of the document and some they make up on the spot as it fits them.

The best comment here is LEO want to know where MGs are for personal safety.

They want to know so they can go get it if they want to. It's none of their business. How is their personal safety at risk because some guy owns a MG? How many times have your relatives lost sleep at night because the thought runs around their minds like ants in a sugar mine?

I got a big LOL at this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies