Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2014, 09:54 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times

Advertisements

[quote=RecentlyMoved;36346314]
Quote:

just curious, do you think she's a monster for wanting to champion a worthy
cause? the US leads the world in obesity and type 2 diabetes. So is the first
lady NOT allowed to champion a cause (a la: JUST SAY NO), or is the problem here
that it's Obama's wife?
Champion a cause yes. Dictate the method of enforcing her desires to control it, no. Who she is married to is only symptomatic of her methods to extend government control.

Quote:
come on, you can say it... we already know.
The only thing that you "know" is what you have decided, without any proof whatsoever to be true. In other words, what you are told by the government.
Quote:

ETA: have you spoken to the first lady's doctor? did he give you her BMI? you
really shouldn't talk about things you don't quite understand.[/
Have you? Or is it only those who disagree with you that have to meet your personal stands?

The only thing that you posted is that YOU shouldn't talk about things that you don't understand. But add in things that you know nothing about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 09:56 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
No, she wants to control another aspect of society.

If she so desires the kids to be healthier and more fit, perhaps she should examine herself first.
Are you purposely acting dense? Your beef is with your local senators, who voted unanimously to approve the bill that set this all in motion. They're probably still in office. You are wasting your time bitching about Mrs. Obama.

With every inane post like the one above, I am more and more convinced that this has nothing at all to do with school lunches and everything to do with blind hatred of the Obama family. If any of you REALLY wanted the legislation rescinded, you'd do something constructive, like call or write your local legislators. Instead, you just want to hurl insults at the First Lady, who is pretty much a figurehead in all this, no matter how strongly she feels about the project.

So you all go on and rant about the First Lady's thighs, because...yeah...that's effective.

Last edited by randomparent; 09-03-2014 at 10:06 AM..

Old 09-03-2014, 10:05 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Michelle Obama is not in charge of the nutrition guidelines for the Federal School Lunch Program. That falls to the USDA. Furthermore, Mrs. Obama did not introduce the bill that became The Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010. A senator from Arkansas named Blanche Lincoln did so, and it passed both houses. In fact, it passed the Senate unanimously, which means that the two senators from your state voted for it. Take your displeasure up with your local legislators, who are probably still in office, and quite possibly will be long after the Obama family has left The White House.

My candidate has been taking on our members of Congress over this.

News - John Buckley for U.S. Senate

Old 09-03-2014, 10:09 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Are you purposely acting dense? Your beef is with your local senators, who voted unanimously to approve the bill that set this all in motion. They're probably still in office. You are wasting your time bitching about Mrs. Obama.
I do have to side with you here in some respect. I'm sure there are many here complaining about this that will gleefully pull the lever for those who did vote for this and then defend that vote.

Indeed if you want things to change you can't continue to vote for those that ignore you.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:10 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,682,949 times
When I was in public school (graduation 1987), at no point did we have vending machines. Personally, I say take all vending machines out of school. However, the local school districts need to retain full control over their own lunch selections and the feds need to stay out. Local cultural taste are different. The obesity problem is not limited to school lunches. Combine cable/satellite TV, video games, internet, home food choices, and lack of physical activity are the combined cause. When I was in high school, some of our food was greasy and fatty and we had very few fat kids and those who were fat were still no where near as big as the kids today. Allow the kids choices. A hungry student isn't going to focus on class. Allow kids to bring food from home without Moochelle' s approval. I use to bring nuts, raisins, Snickers, peanut M&M, and even jerky. If having second lunch period, I have a snack to hold me over. If I had first lunch period, I had a snack before the last period. Gum also helped. Luckily I had teachers who's no gum ruled only applied to the poppers (usually girls).

Old 09-03-2014, 10:12 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
No, she is working to eliminate choice in what students eat. Early training to convince these kids to do only what the government allows them to do, eliminate the element of choice. Just like her husband.
Cry me a river, I do not care if you want to raise your children to be fat little couch potatoes, not my problem.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:15 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Allow kids to bring food from home without Moochelle' s approval.
Yet another intellectual giant who thinks Michelle Obama is responsible.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
And other than government talking points (which may or may not be factual) what proof do you have for this statement?
Walking around and seeing the evidence before my eyes, American children are now having to be told to go out and play because some many are fat and out of shape. Do you go outside at all, do your children, how many kids and adults do you see dragging around more than 20 pounds of extra fat. Let reality be your teacher.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
You do realize the hypocrisy of your statement, right?
Nope, you ASSUME there is, and as usual you would be wrong.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:21 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Walking around and seeing the evidence before my eyes, American children are now having to be told to go out and play because some many are fat and out of shape. Do you go outside at all, do your children, how many kids and adults do you see dragging around more than 20 pounds of extra fat. Let reality be your teacher.
And I wonder how many parents like me had to pack the calories into their kids to keep them from getting too skinny. As a senior in high school he was 6'2" and all of 145 pounds. Not all kids fit into a nice little "fat" mold either. I don't personally care whether it was Michelle, some senator in a state we don't live or who... let the LOCAL authorities and the PARENTS decide what their children should eat!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies