Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 09:21 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,136,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Some very stunning pictures of the Walrus Herds, lack of Sea Ice is forcing them ashore.

35,000 Walrus Come Ashore in Northwest Alaska - ABC News

Wildlife Officials Warn Pilots to Avoid Massive Walrus Herd - NBC News
That's a lot of Walrus' in the same place...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 09:24 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,636,478 times
When the sea levels rise it's gonna be messy.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:27 PM

32,073 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Seriously?

You seriously believe that dinosaurs became extinct 63 million years before the first hominid stood erect was some how caused by humans that did not even exist at the time?

I did not think so. Nobody could be THAT stupid.
Oh please I am not talking about dinosaurs lol How about we talk about the dodo's, the tasmanian tiger, the passenger pigeon. Do you want me to list more for you

Old 10-03-2014, 09:29 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Maybe they were looking for Sex on the Beach

It's only 2 weeks out of Summer after all. And there were 4 worse sea ice levels by your own links. If it was the worst, then maybe there would be something to complain about.

This year there was still ice in the great lakes in July! So I'm not sure I even buy that 5th worst meme.
No Casper said, "they were relaxing!"

Probably, like seeing more bears than usual in the spring........ ummm yes, they just came out of hibernation.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:29 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
When the sea levels rise it's gonna be messy.
Actually, Alaska is one of the few places in the world where sea levels are dropping.

More accurately, the land that is Alaska is still rising from the last glaciation period over 15,000 years ago.

See Sea Level Trends - NOAA Tides & Currents

Old 10-03-2014, 09:33 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,636,478 times
Quote:
Actually, Alaska is one of the few places in the world where sea levels are dropping.

More accurately, the land that is Alaska is still rising from the last glaciation period over 15,000 years ago.

See Sea Level Trends - NOAA Tides & Currents
Of course. The planet flexes and bends unevenly, like a piece of paper held up it is not perfectly spherical shaped. Some aspects of the planet will be submerged moreso than other areas. The question is just how much of it all will submerge.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:33 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,898,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Keep reading the reports....

It is not that there is less overall Ice, because overall there is more ice.
The problem is, the shift in it's location in relation to the magnetic pole movement towards Russia. As the poles move, so does the ice as the axis of rotation to the sun is realigned.

I worked for NASA, JHUAPL and Orbital Sciences as a satellite flight controller and I saw a lot of weather. I have long thought the change in climate is due to a polar shift and it explains it in ways people won't want to admit. If it were accepted there would be no more profit in pushing GREEN,GREEN,GREEN!! That market segment would dry up and blow away.
It's like making hemp legal. There's no money in it.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Oh please I am not talking about dinosaurs lol How about we talk about the dodo's, the tasmanian tiger, the passenger pigeon. Do you want me to list more for you
Over 99.9% of all the species that has ever existed on the planet are now extinct, and it had absolutely nothing to do with humans. Why do you act surprised that species continue to become extinct merely because we happen to be around? The odds are that humans will also become extinct. Will that make you happy?

I realize that self-hatred is a common liberal trait, but please try to stay grounded in reality for change.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:45 PM

32,073 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Over 99.9% of all the species that has ever existed on the planet are now extinct, and it had absolutely nothing to do with humans. Why do you act surprised that species continue to become extinct merely because we happen to be around? The odds are that humans will also become extinct. Will that make you happy?

I realize that self-hatred is a common liberal trait, but please try to stay grounded in reality for change.
How did I act surprised. We are a species who hunt and this hunt has killed many species. I already named you a few. And sorry, not a liberal. And I have no doubt that they way we treat this planet, humans will eventually become extinct. Does that make you happy

Old 10-03-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
How did I act surprised. We are a species who hunt and this hunt has killed many species. I already named you a few. And sorry, not a liberal. And I have no doubt that they way we treat this planet, humans will eventually become extinct. Does that make you happy
Actually, human hunters are the biggest wildlife conservationists on the planet. Far surpassing the combined contributions of WWF or Greenpeace, or any other tree-hugger organization you care to name.

Statistically speaking, humans will become extinct, as will many other species both currently living today and in the future. That does not require an emotional response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies