Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 11:04 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, let's be frank here. Oregon is 77 percent white, non Hispanic - and this demographic group has a 64 percent voter turnout rate nationwide. And yet, even with it's mailed in ballots and overwhelmingly non Hispanic population, it's voter turnout is usually about 60 percent.

So...I don't know. The Hispanic population in Texas tends to be very insular the further southwest one goes. There's a HUGE difference between the interactions of Hispanics with other demographic groups in, say, northeast Texas, and the interactions between groups in San Antonio. It's a challenging ethnic group to reach but at least we all get along pretty well.
Oregon is a very rural state overall, and not that easy for anyone to get to polling offices, and weather can some times be a factor. Mail in ballots removes those barriers to make it easier for people to vote. Texas has an issue with being such a large rural state and the state could see their numbers improve by making mail in ballots a common form of voting.

Obviously the voter participation in this country as a whole is poor, but that shouldn't stop any state, especially Texas which is one of the worst from trying to improve their voter participation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 11:13 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Personally, I really do not care about the issue all that much, but looking at if from what the actual results may be are interesting. If there was not large scale voter fraud, there were not, then the laws changes nothing as to what has been occurring. The law may on the other hand have a different effect than many Cons realize, if for some reason thousand so people end up not being able to vote in the upcoming elections they will be very upset, meaning that they will then be motivated to go out and get the id required and when the next elections come around in 2016 they will be out in huge numbers voting, guess which Party they will Not be voting for. Any time a Party Panders to their supporters they run the risk of alienating large numbers of other voters and that my friends can very well lead to a backlash that could end up driving many Repubs from office, as they saying goes one reaps what they sow, so enjoy the small victory, it will not make any difference in this years elections, but it sure as heck may very will come to bite ya on the arse in the next couple of elections, and since you got what you wanted no whining is allowed. Funny how some Americans can never see beyond today and see what the long term ramifications may be. Enjoy

Old 10-20-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Right. My husband is going to be out of town during the upcoming elections. It wasn't difficult to get a mail in ballot for him.
Of course it wasn't, he will be out of town during the election. That is one of the requirements to mail in ballots. There really shouldn't be any requirements to do mail in ballots, any voter should be able to do mail in ballot if they wish.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am not asking what you personally have done, I am asking what the state of Texas has done. Your responses have made it sound like Texas has no interest in trying to increase their voter participation.
I gave you a list (a very PARTIAL list by the way) of what the state of Texas does to encourage voter turnout.

I still say that it boils down to individual effort. It's not difficult to vote in Texas, but it does require a little bit of personal initiative.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
And, if they are interested in voting, they will get the proper ID

Kind of a no brainer.
Which would have no effect on voter fraud...also, voter fraud is extremely rare in Texas, so it is basically a government waste bill.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
It sounds like the restrictions for mail in ballots in Texas makes it much harder to do that than it is to vote in person. I could be wrong, but that is what it sounded when I read the requirements.
So what - there are only two states that allow all voters to vote by mail, and Texas isn't one of them (and neither are 47 other states). Absentee ballots are for just that - residents who are going to be ABSENT from their county during the voting period.

This doesn't even apply to a large percentage of voters. It's not the problem. Texans are encouraged, as they are in 47 other states, to vote in person.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
No one is stopping anyone from voting legally that I'm aware of. Voting - It's just not that hard to do.
And yet Texas has one of the worst voter participation in the country, so clearly they aren't doing something right and should change something with how they make voting accessible to the residents of Texas.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
And yet Texas has one of the worst voter participation in the country, so clearly they aren't doing something right and should change something with how they make voting accessible to the residents of Texas.
Sigh.

It's accessible. Voting in Texas is neither difficult nor unfair nor arduous. It doesn't even require a high level of intelligence, and all forms are bilingual. It's so easy to register to vote that even a caveman could do it.

Like I said, it boils down to individual initiative. It's not "the state of Texas' fault." '

Old 10-20-2014, 11:20 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,944,857 times
Quote:
There are Democrat groups working on that as we speak, and it is scaring the heck out of the Cons because they know it is only a matter of time before Dems take back their State.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
There are Democrat groups working on that as we speak, and it is scaring the heck out of the Cons because they know it is only a matter of time before Dems take back their State.
Hey, guess what - Republicans are reaching out to the Hispanic segment as well.

These things come and go. But even when Texas was dominated by the Democratic party, it was still a conservative state and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies