Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 09:21 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
No one is saying Texas needs to take people from their homes to make them vote. No state does that, but sitting on their hands and saying their is nothing they can do is a lame excuse for having such a poor voter participation.
I gave you some very concise and well sourced reasons that come into play when it comes to Texas' low voter turnout - the main one being that we have the second highest ratio of Hispanics in the nation, and they are the demographic group with THE LOWEST voter participation rates. Our white and African American and Asian voter turnout rates are similar to the rates nationwide, but the inactivity of the Hispanic population in Texas negatively impacts our overall rating.

I have no idea why the NATIONWIDE low Hispanic voting rate is what it is. But it's not just a Texas problem - it's a nationwide issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
No one is saying Texas needs to take people from their homes to make them vote. No state does that, but sitting on their hands and saying their is nothing they can do is a lame excuse for having such a poor voter participation.
Actually some cities and regions do have programs that literally round up people, drive them to the polling booths, and drive them back home.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:39 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I gave you some very concise and well sourced reasons that come into play when it comes to Texas' low voter turnout - the main one being that we have the second highest ratio of Hispanics in the nation, and they are the demographic group with THE LOWEST voter participation rates. Our white and African American and Asian voter turnout rates are similar to the rates nationwide, but the inactivity of the Hispanic population in Texas negatively impacts our overall rating.

I have no idea why the NATIONWIDE low Hispanic voting rate is what it is. But it's not just a Texas problem - it's a nationwide issue.
Again, that is just an excuse. So what if there is a nationwide voter low voter turnout with Hispanics. I am not talking about why doesn't Texas try to improve the voter participation in the country, I am just talking about what can they do as a state for the people living in their own state that could help improve their voter participation.

Texas shouldn't be proud of how low their voter participation is.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Actually some cities and regions do have programs that literally round up people, drive them to the polling booths, and drive them back home.
By choice, not by force. Basically it is a free shuttle service that will drive people to the polls if they are unable to get to the polls.

What you were suggesting was more of a by force comment.

Giving granny a ride to the polls because she is unable to drive isn't a nanny state thing, that is just an honorable thing to do.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Again, that is just an excuse. So what if there is a nationwide voter low voter turnout with Hispanics. I am not talking about why doesn't Texas try to improve the voter participation in the country, I am just talking about what can they do as a state for the people living in their own state that could help improve their voter participation.

Texas shouldn't be proud of how low their voter participation is.
It's not "an excuse" - it's a nationwide REALITY. Hispanic voter turnout is abysmal, not just in Texas but in every state.

Of course this isn't the only issue, but it's part of the issue. A big part. You can choose to ignore it if you like, but that doesn't change the facts.

What do YOU recommend that the state of Texas do to increase voter participation?

Old 10-20-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
By choice, not by force. Basically it is a free shuttle service that will drive people to the polls if they are unable to get to the polls.

What you were suggesting was more of a by force comment.

Giving granny a ride to the polls because she is unable to drive isn't a nanny state thing, that is just an honorable thing to do.
And much easier to do in urban and highly populated areas than it is to do in rural, sparcely populated areas, URBANlife78.

By the way, such programs do exist in Texas - mostly in urban areas. Just so you know. But Texas is a huge, largely rural state.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
It's not "an excuse" - it's a nationwide REALITY. Hispanic voter turnout is abysmal, not just in Texas but in every state.

Of course this isn't the only issue, but it's part of the issue. A big part. You can choose to ignore it if you like, but that doesn't change the facts.

What do YOU recommend that the state of Texas do to increase voter participation?
That is a good question, I have no idea what Texas could do to increase their voter participation because I don't know how the political climate there functions. That is why I was asking those that live in Texas that might have a better idea what Texas is doing or could be doing.

You keep saying this is a nationwide issue, and I completely understand that, but the state of Texas should be able to try to increase voter participation in their own state. Sitting on their hands saying their is nothing they can do is a lame excuse.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
And much easier to do in urban and highly populated areas than it is to do in rural, sparcely populated areas.

By the way, such programs do exist in Texas - mostly in urban areas. Just so you know. But Texas is a huge, largely rural state.
Yes, Texas is a large rural state, maybe they should make it easier for those that live in rural areas to be able to do mail in ballots. Heck, a mail in ballot program like they have in Oregon might be good for Texas since it is such a large rural state. That would make it much easier for people to vote that aren't able to make it to any polling place.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
That is a good question, I have no idea what Texas could do to increase their voter participation because I don't know how the political climate there functions. That is why I was asking those that live in Texas that might have a better idea what Texas is doing or could be doing.

You keep saying this is a nationwide issue, and I completely understand that, but the state of Texas should be able to try to increase voter participation in their own state. Sitting on their hands saying their is nothing they can do is a lame excuse.
Is anyone doing that? I haven't heard any state or local officials say anything like that.

I mean, I said I can't help what other people or families do when it comes to voting - but I guess I mean I am not going to do anything other than encourage people I know to vote - which I do on a regular basis. I have signed up to help at the polling booths here during this election as well, which is a bit more "participation" than most people anywhere get involved in.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:04 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,514,927 times
Quote:
I looks like it is allowed for this election only because it is too close to the election to be changed. You can bet the elections in Texas will be closely watched, especially seeing this law will basically deny about 600K voters in Texas.
I'm not sure where that figure comes from, unless you mean that about 600,000 people who actually do not have the legal right to vote in Texas will be excluded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies