Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 11:27 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I gave you a list (a very PARTIAL list by the way) of what the state of Texas does to encourage voter turnout.

I still say that it boils down to individual effort. It's not difficult to vote in Texas, but it does require a little bit of personal initiative.
Yes you did give a very small list of what the state does to encourage voter turnout. All your list stated is that they let people register to vote when they are getting their driver's license...so basically they do the same thing every other state is doing at a bare minimum which clearly isn't enough for Texas, and this voter ID law isn't going to help that effort to encourage voter participation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
So what - there are only two states that allow all voters to vote by mail, and Texas isn't one of them (and neither are 47 other states). Absentee ballots are for just that - residents who are going to be ABSENT from their county during the voting period.

This doesn't even apply to a large percentage of voters. It's not the problem. Texans are encouraged, as they are in 47 other states, to vote in person.
Well seeing Texas is a large rural state, allowing all residents to do mail in ballots might actually improve their voter participation. I wouldn't think anyone would be against doing anything that helps more residents vote in their state.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:29 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yes you did give a very small list of what the state does to encourage voter turnout. All your list stated is that they let people register to vote when they are getting their driver's license...so basically they do the same thing every other state is doing at a bare minimum which clearly isn't enough for Texas, and this voter ID law isn't going to help that effort to encourage voter participation.
That is not all that was on my list but I'm not going to repeat myself. Think what you want, I really don't care.

The Texas economy is booming and life's good! I've got things to do - so hasta la vista, baby.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:32 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well seeing Texas is a large rural state, allowing all residents to do mail in ballots might actually improve their voter participation. I wouldn't think anyone would be against doing anything that helps more residents vote in their state.
It's not difficult to vote in Texas. It's easy. But one does have to get up and actually do it - like they have to in 47 other states.

It's not the ease or lack thereof that is the problem. But I'm getting tired of giving you facts and information on that so I'm outta here.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:53 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Hey, guess what - Republicans are reaching out to the Hispanic segment as well.

These things come and go. But even when Texas was dominated by the Democratic party, it was still a conservative state and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
Thing is the Hispanics know that the Repubs are not their friends they simply want their votes, not gonna happen in large numbers.
Correct, Texas Liberals are far more conservative than in other areas of the Country, that said when it goes blue again it is a Federal Election that's gets most effected, Texas has a lot of Electoral College votes

Old 10-20-2014, 01:36 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,515,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
There are Democrat groups working on that as we speak, and it is scaring the heck out of the Cons because they know it is only a matter of time before Dems take back their State.
You think Wendy Davis is going to win, don't you?

I rooted for her in the filibuster and I think the state Republicans needed to have their eye blacked in a big spectacle like that... But she doesn't have a snowflake's chance.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:38 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
You think Wendy Davis is going to win, don't you?
You obviously have never seen anything I have stated on the topic, or you would know the answer to that question

Old 10-20-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Thing is the Hispanics know that the Repubs are not their friends they simply want their votes, not gonna happen in large numbers.
Correct, Texas Liberals are far more conservative than in other areas of the Country, that said when it goes blue again it is a Federal Election that's gets most effected, Texas has a lot of Electoral College votes
What's funny about that is that the second generation of immigrants have a funny way of (i) going to college, (ii) making good money and (iii) having no more than two kids. In other words, they become Texans. They also tend to have political ideology in line with the values of the Roman Catholic Church and they tend to have a soft spot for work ethic. There is no party that can claim to be the best friend of the Latino voters, but I think you're underestimating how naturally conservative that culture is.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
You obviously have never seen anything I have stated on the topic, or you would know the answer to that question
Sure haven't...

Old 10-20-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
That is not all that was on my list but I'm not going to repeat myself. Think what you want, I really don't care.

The Texas economy is booming and life's good! I've got things to do - so hasta la vista, baby.
What does the Texas economy have to do with low voter turnout?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies