Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 10:05 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
This is also 2014 and not 1914.

No one is that poor or uneducated to not have a photo ID on them considering you need a photo ID for so many things these days.
Exactly! The fact the DNC whines that it'll lose votes because of an ID law says paragraphs about their voter base, and them for that matter.

In most states it's already illegal not to have a form of image id. Even here in Cali, the land of progressivism, if you are stopped by the police and have no identification you can be arrested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 10:06 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,515,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yes, Texas is a large rural state, maybe they should make it easier for those that live in rural areas to be able to do mail in ballots. Heck, a mail in ballot program like they have in Oregon might be good for Texas since it is such a large rural state. That would make it much easier for people to vote that aren't able to make it to any polling place.
I did mail-in ballots for my home county in Texas every year while I was in college. It's pretty simple.

Anyone could handle it. Seriously, unless you just can't be bothered to crack your eggs and heat them in a skillet and the very thought of taking the cap off of a gallon of milk so that you can pour it over your cereal just makes you so tired that you can't even bear it... Then you can (i) get an ID in Texas so you can buy cigarettes, alcohol and vote or (ii) spend three or four minutes arranging for a mail-in ballot to be sent to your residence.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:12 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Yes, Texas is a large rural state, maybe they should make it easier for those that live in rural areas to be able to do mail in ballots. Heck, a mail in ballot program like they have in Oregon might be good for Texas since it is such a large rural state. That would make it much easier for people to vote that aren't able to make it to any polling place.
Well, let's be frank here. Oregon is 77 percent white, non Hispanic - and this demographic group has a 64 percent voter turnout rate nationwide. And yet, even with it's mailed in ballots and overwhelmingly non Hispanic population, it's voter turnout is usually about 60 percent.

So...I don't know. The Hispanic population in Texas tends to be very insular the further southwest one goes. There's a HUGE difference between the interactions of Hispanics with other demographic groups in, say, northeast Texas, and the interactions between groups in San Antonio. It's a challenging ethnic group to reach but at least we all get along pretty well.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
I'm not sure where that figure comes from, unless you mean that about 600,000 people who actually do not have the legal right to vote in Texas will be excluded.
That's makarkey!

Old 10-20-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I did mail-in ballots for my home county in Texas every year while I was in college. It's pretty simple.
Right. My husband is going to be out of town during the upcoming elections. It wasn't difficult to get a mail in ballot for him.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:18 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
It isn't for anyone to say how interested someone is when it comes to voting. They should still be allowed to vote.
And, if they are interested in voting, they will get the proper ID

Kind of a no brainer.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
It isn't for anyone to say how interested someone is when it comes to voting. They should still be allowed to vote.
No one is stopping anyone from voting legally that I'm aware of. Voting - It's just not that hard to do.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:56 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Is anyone doing that? I haven't heard any state or local officials say anything like that.

I mean, I said I can't help what other people or families do when it comes to voting - but I guess I mean I am not going to do anything other than encourage people I know to vote - which I do on a regular basis. I have signed up to help at the polling booths here during this election as well, which is a bit more "participation" than most people anywhere get involved in.
I am not asking what you personally have done, I am asking what the state of Texas has done. Your responses have made it sound like Texas has no interest in trying to increase their voter participation.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure where that figure comes from, unless you mean that about 600,000 people who actually do not have the legal right to vote in Texas will be excluded.
It is in the article that I was commenting on, you are free to check to see where they got that number from.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:

Anyone could handle it. Seriously, unless you just can't be bothered to crack your eggs and heat them in a skillet and the very thought of taking the cap off of a gallon of milk so that you can pour it over your cereal just makes you so tired that you can't even bear it... Then you can (i) get an ID in Texas so you can buy cigarettes, alcohol and vote or (ii) spend three or four minutes arranging for a mail-in ballot to be sent to your residence.
It sounds like the restrictions for mail in ballots in Texas makes it much harder to do that than it is to vote in person. I could be wrong, but that is what it sounded when I read the requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies