Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 01:31 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,005,972 times

Advertisements

Well, with a sizable percentage of the body politic insisting that a country knee-deep in firearms is a desirable state of affairs, of course the criminals will extremely well armed and the police forces will act correspondingly.

For all of the 2nd amendment's claimed effects against governmental overreach, a US citizen is roughly 100 times more likely to die at the hands of police than is a UK citizen.

Armed police: Trigger happy | The Economist

Roughly, because the data material is pathetic - in many cases, reporting is voluntary.

Nobody Knows How Many Americans The Police Kill Each Year | FiveThirtyEight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 01:34 PM

406 posts, read 283,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Well my opinion as stated before is citizens should have access to the same weapons police do so vice versa the police should have access those weapons too. I don't think you can expect the police to walk around with pea shooters if the people they are policing could have AK-47's. While the need for such weapons is rare it's inevitable it will happen again, I would predict at some time in the future we'll be dealing with a situation where many armed terrorists are going to do exactly what those two did. The police need to be prepared for such an incident.

Amen to that!

http://www.quizlaw.com/blog/images/rosco.jpg

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dAJxNshzBQ

Old 12-07-2014, 01:44 PM

4,139 posts, read 2,840,147 times
Quote:
Well my opinion as stated before is citizens should have access to the same weapons police do so vice versa the police should have access those weapons too. I don't think you can expect the police to walk around with pea shooters if the people they are policing could have AK-47's. While the need for such weapons is rare it's inevitable it will happen again, I would predict at some time in the future we'll be dealing with a situation where many armed terrorists are going to do exactly what those two did. The police need to be prepared for such an incident.

Yep, it's only a matter of time before we have a Mumbai style attack here.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:55 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,952,981 times
Quote:
While the need for such weapons is rare it's inevitable it will happen again, I would predict at some time in the future we'll be dealing with a situation where many armed terrorists are going to do exactly what those two did. The police need to be prepared for such an incident.
Okay, so until that time arises, police departments should box up all their armored personnel carriers, tanks and rocket launchers, place them in storage until the next time equipment like that is really needed. in the mean times, police showing up for domestic abuse situations or non-violent protests in convoys of Armoured Personnel Cariers with Rocket Launchers and Bradley Fighting vehicles is way over the top.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:01 PM

406 posts, read 283,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Okay, so until that time arises, police departments should box up all their armored personnel carriers, tanks and rocket launchers, place them in storage until the next time equipment like that is really needed. in the mean times, police showing up for domestic abuse situations or non-violent protests in convoys of Armoured Personnel Cariers with Rocket Launchers and Bradley Fighting vehicles is way over the top.
Um, that's WHY those protests ended "non violent".

Who's got a cast iron pipe that will beat that?!

Old 12-07-2014, 02:04 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,853,909 times
Quote:
It may sound far fetched, but someone or something very sinister could be behind the militarization of police in the U.S. Within 20 years, Police Departments have gone from carrying sidearms to a tactical military force, with the potential to possibly rival the the U.S. Military. All justified or approved by someone in the name of for fighting crooks, robbers and drug dealers.

The militarization of Police Departments is bad business and could potentially be a threat to a government. If this militarization continues, rest assured, police forces will be pushing for and SOMEONE will authorize them to have tanks and more advanced weaponry.

And for those of you that believe that this far fetched...remember the American Civil War.

https://www.rutherford.org/publicati...ce_department_
LOL. That is all this post deserves.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:07 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
Quote:
... police showing up for domestic abuse situations or non-violent protests in convoys of Armoured Personnel Cariers with Rocket Launchers and Bradley Fighting vehicles is way over the top.
I'd agree that story sounds a bit ridiculous but I don't know the whole story either. Does the guy have a history of violence?

Old 12-07-2014, 02:08 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,853,909 times
Quote:
That happened over 20 years ago...how many times has this happened since?
The OP used the Civil War as an example in the OP.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:11 PM

4,139 posts, read 2,840,147 times
Quote:
The Police have rocket launchers and Bradley's? I've been LE for 9 years and have never seen any of these.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:17 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
My small square mile town in NJ has 40 military vehicles including hummers, large trucks, tractor trailers all painted in camouflage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies