Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 09:11 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,837,240 times

Advertisements

She's gotta be kidding. Last week, a woman asked me if I could grab something off the top shelf at Wegmans...um, because she knew I could reach it.

The Obamas will stop at nothing to play the victims before a compliant audience.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:15 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
I do understand if President Obama was waiting for his car at a valet and someone handed him the keys, that it would be a bit offensive. I certainly get that. I am surprised at Michelle's example. Michelle is pretty tall and maybe someone just asked for help, so that is an odd one. On the other hand, we as a country nitpick others so much I think it is getting ridiculous. One needs to look at ourselves and ask are we really that perfect. If you look at the Obamas and look at their ratings as leaders of our country, it is truly shocking how low the approval rating really is. From when Obama took office to now, the difference is staggering. The US is doing so much better and on a global scale we actually have good allies and aren't a stand alone, with the UK country. The economy is way better, we are moving towards lifting that stupid embargo against Cuba and more, yet he has such a poor rating. One has to ask why? I have to wonder how much of that is due to race. Being someone into statistics and someone that needs proof of everything, Obamas statistics are pretty great for the most part. Even if you don't feel everyone should have some sort of affordable healthcare, so someone working at a fast food restaurant shouldn't have any. Oh, how kind we are as a country. Such a warm hearted bunch. It is truly baffling to me, but is race a part of that? It IS a part of it to a degree, but what is the percentage? 15%? 20%? I don't think it could be more than those numbers, but I don't live in Texas or the midwest, so maybe it could be higher. Things are GREAT in the US. These are good times and I wish it would last longer. I worry about another war monger taking charge in the US. We can't afford that as a country, but I am sure the Pentagon and the fear machine would be happy.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:19 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

The Obamas will stop at nothing to play the victims before a compliant audience.
Here we go. Why did you say, "Obamas"? It was Michelle that stated that example. President Obama stated he was handed the keys at a valet and asked to get a drink at a black tie party, so Barack certainly has a few good examples. It is interesting how people skim over facts to perpetuate their agenda as if the President is to blame for Michelle's example. I am glad you are so perfect and would never make any mistakes. You wouldn't last a week in the WH under such a microscope. It really is a joke how people in the US treat others on the stupid Internet, that really is a vessel for spewing nonsense. I really wish it wasn't invented. Times were MUCH better prior to this propaganda machine. It sure is destroying us a little at a time. Just look at the headlines from sorry websites like "The Blaze", or "smoking gun". What a joke of a place we have created, but people fall for it all.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:27 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,418,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
At least Michelle and her spouse have something in common , racism.
The media is scraping the bottom of the barrel for a story on this one. Both in the validity of the story and in subject matter. Oh well, that's where you will find both of them.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:35 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
The media is scraping the bottom of the barrel for a story on this one. Both in the validity of the story and in subject matter. Oh well, that's where you will find both of them.
NO, say it isn't so!!! The media scraping the bottom of the barrel? Really? That is what it is all about these days. Shocking hyped up stories sell better than, President Obama was handed the keys at a valet and asked to get someone a drink at a black tie party. You can't have a title like that, it must be as racist as possible! It is such a shame what has happened to people in my 50 years in the US. The Internet has been a very bad invention for us. I don't know about other countries since they seem to be more worldly and a bit more forgiving, well maybe with the exception of Britain. Oh well, the train is rolling fast. The Obamas are hated more and more regardless of favorable statistics in almost every category that matters. It is interesting, but sad.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:52 AM

672 posts, read 789,924 times
I read the full article at People, because the blurb seemed taken out of context, and the People article has no real additional information. I don't know if Michelle was validating that it was racist to be assumed that one is an employee of an establishment, or if she was just saying that people get asked for help and/or mistaken as being an employee because the asker is assuming that if one is black that one must be "the staff".

Without jumping to any conclusion about what her frame of reference was, I have been mistaken for and have mistaken other shoppers for store employees. I've been asked to reach stuff for shorter folks, my son, who is 6' 4", very often is requested for help getting stuff off of top shelves. It happens.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:56 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Here we go. Why did you say, "Obamas"? It was Michelle that stated that example. President Obama stated he was handed the keys at a valet and asked to get a drink at a black tie party, so Barack certainly has a few good examples. It is interesting how people skim over facts to perpetuate their agenda as if the President is to blame for Michelle's example. I am glad you are so perfect and would never make any mistakes. You wouldn't last a week in the WH under such a microscope. It really is a joke how people in the US treat others on the stupid Internet, that really is a vessel for spewing nonsense. I really wish it wasn't invented. Times were MUCH better prior to this propaganda machine. It sure is destroying us a little at a time. Just look at the headlines from sorry websites like "The Blaze", or "smoking gun". What a joke of a place we have created, but people fall for it all.
Was that Barack example from the same interview? We've already established that Michelle didn't think it was racism at the time in her story, and only changed the narrative recently. I'm going to have to assume that it's the same with the Barack story.

I noticed that neither of them mentioned the time his close friend Valerie mistook a member of the military for the "help". Could SHE be a racist?

Old 12-18-2014, 10:00 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
At least Michelle and her spouse have something in common , racism.
Yep. I'm a very short Indian lady and when I go to the grocery store, many times, items that I need are located on the top shelf. Many nice people have helped me retrieve these items when they see me reaching for them in vain, and it doesn't matter what color they are or even whether they are store employees. As a matter of fact, more often, the EMPLOYEES will ignore me and other customers will help. I, in turn, will always help if I see a person struggling with a door or some bulky item. It's called being nice and courteous to a fellow human being. I don't see myself as being above others or special. We all need help sometimes. But of course, Michelle Obama views herself as superior to other Americans

Old 12-18-2014, 10:09 AM

99 posts, read 176,693 times
The First lady was saying, even the small things can be demoralizing , and it can happen to even the first family of the United States. For people of color, if a white person ask you to do something, one can sometimes feel inferior to a white person, not just because of the past, but because your a minority in a majorities world. Even most minorities in the corporate world feel the same way about their status in their respective field. Alot of minorities get leap frogged by their white counterparts, in some areas , even if the minority is far more qualified than the white counterpart. Ms. Obama was giving an example of how minorities see and view the world. Minorities, of all race backgrounds, in America see the world differently than most whites in America, and it feels whites want to invoke their thoughts and practices on to minorities, who in turn, want to preserve their heritage and identities and want to feel equal. Most whites turn the other way on race relations talk lol, for some reason.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:19 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,880,458 times
The assumption by some that ALL white people are racist ticks me off. If I asked a tall black person for help getting something off a shelf, the thought that it could be construed as racist wouldn't even cross my mind. Ludicrous!

Michelle seems to be viewing this incident through this type of filter. No matter what past experiences are, adopting a permanent filter through which you view all things as racially motivated is very, very divisive and damaging. And it is stereotyping and prejudicial too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies