Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2014, 11:56 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Why should de Blasio resign? Because right wingers want him to? I am sure you praised the police that protested at a funeral which was disrespectful and shameful of them to do at a FUNERAL.
He should resign or be forced out for arguing that he should have the right to dismiss the Constitutional rights of the people.

De Blasio Fights For The Right To Mass Arrest Peaceful Protesters : Gothamist

This is the same position I've taken concerning McCain, Bush, Obama, whoever does it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 11:58 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
He should resign or be forced out for arguing that he should have the right to dismiss the Constitutional rights of the people.

De Blasio Fights For The Right To Mass Arrest Peaceful Protesters : Gothamist

This is the same position I've taken concerning McCain, Bush, Obama, whoever does it.
So is this post a deflection or are you trying to go off topic because this thread isn't about that?

Old 12-29-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
So is this post a deflection or are you trying to go off topic because this thread isn't about that?
It's an argument about why he should indeed resign. Are you saying it's not relevant to the topic? Peaceful protests and the mayor's attempt to stop them are off topic?

Old 12-29-2014, 01:57 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,654,666 times
Quote:
I supported the right of the police to protest. That said, shouldn't the argument be that they should simply respect the legal authority of the mayor and do what they are told?
Exactly what legal statute did the cops violate in regards to the mayor?

Old 12-29-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Exactly what legal statute did the cops violate in regards to the mayor?
He's an authoritarian figure. Shouldn't they simply be respected no matter what?

Old 12-29-2014, 02:12 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,544,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Answers to your questions: (since you asked me for guidance)
  1. You are attempting a red herring fallacy. The police did not turn their backs on the mayor because he is trying to make improvements.
  2. In continuing with your logical fallacies, you have changed the rhetoric of the mayor suggesting improvements to that of public criticism. It can't be both simultaneously.
  3. The police did not commit a childish tantrum. The childish tantrums were performed by the rioters in Ferguson, NYC, Oakland, and other places where there are large concentrations of those from the Black race where attacks on the police have taken place.
Finally we are not talking about "any small amount of criticism". We are talking about two innocent policemen executed by a useless thug for racial reasons. Equating execution with small amount of criticism, is about as ridiculous as it gets when it comes to the defense of thugs, idiots, the irresponsible, and dregs of society. Your hyperbole runs deep on that one.

Hopefully this clears it up for you.
It clear up nothing since your post is chock-full of it's own logical fallacies. Equating execution with criticism is as dumb as it gets and that is EXACTLY what you are doing when you blame it all on Deblasio. Two innocent policemen being shot by a murderer is not the fault of the mayor UNLESS you also state that criticizing the police equates to murder because that is all he did. Offer criticicism. Specifically, which words did he use to tell the murderer to shoot the policemen?

Quick - is it his fault the murderer shot his girlfriend too?

IF I participate in peaceful protest - that doesn't mean I want policemen or women to die.

I guess we should just let the men in blue do whatever they want - take your guns, etc - and never dare say a word lest we anger them in some fashion or . . cause them to be harmed be our mere words speaking out in protest.

Blaming DeBlasio on some madman murdering them is foolish - but that is their hyperbole; not mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
What is wrong with you and others who won't see that DeB went beyond recommending improvements or reforms. He basically called all cops racists, blamed Garner's death on racism rather than Garner himself resisting arrest or the cops trying to enforce a stupid law that he and police brass wanted strictly enforced, mocked the Grand Jury decision without a clue of the evidence.

Quick --- name one 'improvement' DeB spoke of right after the Garner decision.
He called all cops racist? Or he 'basically' called all cops racist? Specfically - what words did he use that made the murderer go out and shoot three innocent people? Did he call the guy up and tell him to shoot policemen and his girlfriend?

This whole argument of blaming the mayor is just dumb and intelligent people aren't buying it.

Quote:
Why should de Blasio resign? Because right wingers want him to? I am sure you praised the police that protested at a funeral which was disrespectful and shameful of them to do at a FUNERAL.
Of course that's why. There can be no other reason.

Quote:
It's an argument about why he should indeed resign. Are you saying it's not relevant to the topic? Peaceful protests and the mayor's attempt to stop them are off topic?
Well, this argument basically goes against everything the anti-Blasio posters are blathering about. Therefore, it must not be relevant.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post

Well, this argument basically goes against everything the anti-Blasio posters are blathering about. Therefore, it must not be relevant.
I'm not really too concerned what others argue. Are you saying it's not relevant?

Old 12-29-2014, 02:51 PM

122 posts, read 96,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
A clear case of insubordination. Fire the ring leader and discipline every single officer that turned their backs on their Commander-In-Chief. Upset that the Mayor took a different position on the Eric Garner case, police figured they'd get back at the Mayor by turning their backs on him.

Didn't these officers take an Oath to be subordinate and show the proper respect towards senior leadership and their Mayor as Commander-In-Chief?

NYPD cops turn their backs on de Blasio - CNN.com Video
NO. A clear case of loyalty to the law-abiding citizens of New York city.
To protect and to serve... the People... not a stupid corrupt politician. The really proper response to Mayor Dick Blasio would be Impeachment.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:07 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,204,331 times
Quote:
This thread is about police protesting at a funeral, so yes, that would be off topic.

And for the record, I don't agree with de Blasio for doing that, but I don't see that as a reason to resign.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
This thread is about police protesting at a funeral, so yes, that would be off topic.

And for the record, I don't agree with de Blasio for doing that, but I don't see that as a reason to resign.
Trampling on the Constitutional rights of others should be right at the top of the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies