Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 02:19 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,524,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
In my opinion those clerks defying the tyrants in Washington are patriots. The federal government has no right to violate the state of Alabama's rights the way it has. This is about our bill of rights, it is about the freedom of states to make their own laws which reflect their own values. This is so much bigger than the gay issue. I support a states right to legalize gay marriage if its people chose it. If you don't like the laws of your state you are free to move. What I can never support is the federal government usurping the 10th amendment in order to force the liberal agenda on "red state America" because that is the only way they will ever get their agenda through there. I am glad that someone has had the guts to do this, most conservative states folded out of fear of the federal power. Time to stand up and tell these federal tyrants we will have no more. Our founding fathers had the guts to challenge tyrants, and the confederacy had the guts to stand up to federal tyrants. What I am trying to say is that our ancestors would not have put up with this without challenging it. We need people in this nation like this state judge and the county officials who are enforcing their state laws, in spite of this unconstitutional act by the federal government. I hope their spirit spreads like a wild fire across the red states, from the south to the mountain west, its time we assert our rights. Kudos to the patriots in our neighboring state to the south
That's right. Civil rights be damned!

You realize that there are amendments after the 10th, right? Those are every bit as valid as anything in the US Constitution. Including the 14th. Here is the text in question, I've underlined the important parts for your convenience (and for dramatic effect):

"No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
There is nothing wrong with wanting to preserve a moral standard that has been in place since the inception of this country.
So it's okay to be a bigot, it's our moral standard?

Slavery was our moral standard too, it was here since the inception of our country. We realized it was a pretty bad moral standard and changed it, however. I would like to think we're a nation that evolves past our mistakes and injustices...

Old 02-10-2015, 02:50 AM

9,828 posts, read 9,422,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
You heard who was part black.
I think he's implying your descendants might be black. That way he can attack you for being on affirmative action, or something.

It's a reminder that one doesn't have to live in the South to share that God-awful mentality. Here's another:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
God bless Alabama for standing up to this filth.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:52 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,524,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
I think he's implying your descendants are black. That way he can attack for being on affirmative action, or something.

It's a reminder that one doesn't have to live in the South to share that God-awful mentality.
Or stupidity.

To him: Creoles aren't necessarily black, just people from French controlled areas (including France) that settled in New Orleans.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:10 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
In my opinion those clerks defying the tyrants in Washington are patriots. The federal government has no right to violate the state of Alabama's rights the way it has. This is about our bill of rights, it is about the freedom of states to make their own laws which reflect their own values. This is so much bigger than the gay issue. I support a states right to legalize gay marriage if its people chose it. If you don't like the laws of your state you are free to move. What I can never support is the federal government usurping the 10th amendment in order to force the liberal agenda on "red state America" because that is the only way they will ever get their agenda through there. I am glad that someone has had the guts to do this, most conservative states folded out of fear of the federal power. Time to stand up and tell these federal tyrants we will have no more. Our founding fathers had the guts to challenge tyrants, and the confederacy had the guts to stand up to federal tyrants. What I am trying to say is that our ancestors would not have put up with this without challenging it. We need people in this nation like this state judge and the county officials who are enforcing their state laws, in spite of this unconstitutional act by the federal government. I hope their spirit spreads like a wild fire across the red states, from the south to the mountain west, its time we assert our rights. Kudos to the patriots in our neighboring state to the south
I love how people talk about "their constitutional rights", yet fail to realize that the 14th amendment is also there. For the most part none of the judges did anything remotely like you are saying. They are simply refusing the cater to either sex at this point. That's not real upholding state laws as much as it's covering their asses. Since by law heterosexual marriage is legal in the state. If they were standing up to the judge who ordered the law to be struck down they would simply ignore it altogether. Once the next ruling comes down ordering them to begin issuing licenses or stand before the judge we will see just how many are willing to stand up and give her the middle finger .

Old 02-10-2015, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
God bless Alabama for standing up to this filth.
For many of them standing up to judge Moore? Absolutely they should be blessed for telling off that bigoted loudmouth ******** .

Old 02-10-2015, 04:13 AM

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with wanting to preserve a moral standard that has been in place since the inception of this country.
Morality is subjective. I find that anyone using an archaic text as the basis for denying people rights isn't all that moral for the most part.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
That's right. Civil rights be damned!

You realize that there are amendments after the 10th, right? Those are every bit as valid as anything in the US Constitution. Including the 14th. Here is the text in question, I've underlined the important parts for your convenience (and for dramatic effect):

"No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

So it's okay to be a bigot, it's our moral standard?

Slavery was our moral standard too, it was here since the inception of our country. We realized it was a pretty bad moral standard and changed it, however. I would like to think we're a nation that evolves past our mistakes and injustices...
Some of the people on this board seem to believe that the first 10 amendments are somehow greater than all the rest. That anytime there is a conflict the first 10 will nullify an amendment that comes after it.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:23 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I don't care. You don't understand the South. You're just a partisan who defines your ideas as "progress" so therefore people who don't agree with you are backwards. That makes you the bigot.
What incredible self-ratifying nonsense. Gabe is referring to a litany of progress in our society for which there have been pockets of reactionaryism. It isn't limited to the South though. Reactionaryism and the rationalization of obstruction of progress can be found in other places as well. You lash out at others in apparently frustration that you cannot defend your perspective on the merits: You know that reasonable people, when looking at the changes outside of the context of how the changes affect them personally, acknowledge and recognize their progressive nature. It must suck to be a reactionary, without any reasonable argument to make to defend your perspective, simply because you are unwilling to grant that others have the right to live their lives, within their own skin, within their own families, within their own churches, as they see fit rather than in compliance with your obsolete preferences.

Quote:
I'm confused. Are you referring to the moral standard that claimed that it was right for white people to enslave black people, or are you referring to something else?

Old 02-10-2015, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Does the South always have to be the last area of the country to achieve social progress and be forced by the federal government to adapt these changes despite the opposition from its conservative politicians. From integration to education to gay rights it always seems like the South lags far behind the rest of the country. Will it always be this way or will the federal government always have to drag it kicking and screaming into the modern era?

And for those who say I don't understand the South I lived in North Carolina from age 6 to age 26.
Well to be fair, the majority of states have had to have the courts strike these bans down. I think it's more rooted *for the most part* in long instilled social values and some ignorance than anything. The other states in which this was stuck down haven't done anything remotely like this, so I would say this is more due to nature of the state and the yahoo voted into office than anything.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:28 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,293,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
no. Refusal to give your citizens the access to rights enjoyed by every other resident in your state makes YOU the bigot. People in the south have very many fine qualities, but fall short when it comes to recognizing that all americans should share in the same rights and freedoms.
Marriage has limits. Marriage is discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies