Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 07:47 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I was born in mississippi. My grandparents were cajun. I have an enormous family that lives in the south. I'm sorry but the south is still racist.
Just because your family is populated with racists, that doesn't mean the south is.

BTW, did you know the Aryan Nations is based out of Idaho? According to most maps, that isn't in the south.

Additionally, it started in California.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:53 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,351 times
For people who cry and whine about Conservatives pushing their morals on everyone, they sure seem to delight in pushing their Liberal values on other people.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:59 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The beauty of this country is you have different states with different laws and priorities. If you want to live in regulation central, go to NY, if you want less reglated society, go to Texas, etc. The South should make their own choices (provided they don't violate the Constitution) and the rest of the country should accept it.
Which is why they had these laws struck down.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:59 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
For people who cry and whine about Conservatives pushing their morals on everyone, they sure seem to delight in pushing their Liberal values on other people.
You're missing the point. Right-wingers seek to impose their beliefs onto others living within their own skin; Right-wingers seek to impose their beliefs onto others living within their own families; Right-wingers seek to impose their beliefs onto how other people worship and live in accordance with their religious beliefs. Contrast that with liberals who seek only to force right-wingers to not impose their right-wing beliefs on other people living within their own skins, within their own families, and within their own worship. No one is telling a devout Christian that they must marry someone of the same sex, just that they have to let other people do so, and respect those other peoples' marriages as much as they want everyone to respect their own heterosexual marriage.

This is a bit of lack of perspective from which right-wingers often suffer: The inability to tell the difference between the moral turpitude inherent in their insistence on their control over other people's bodies, their control over other people's families, their control over other people's worship; and the moral fortitude of other people asserting their right to live as full and equal members of society even if the way they live doesn't match what the right-wingers might like.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
No one says you have to like the values. You just can't go out of your way to deny people rights because you don't like them.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:00 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
There are still some that feel, in this thing we call a nation of individual states, that individual freedom outweighs control and micro-management of of liberties, turning them all into privileges.
So if you think that "individual freedom outweighs control and micro-management of of liberties", why are you upholding the power of a state government to deny a gay individual the right to enter into a marriage contract? I really don't get this argument.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
So if you think that "individual freedom outweighs control and micro-management of of liberties", why are you upholding the power of a state government to deny a gay individual the right to enter into a marriage contract? I really don't get this argument.
Because they don't want godless heathens such as ourselves to corrupt pure Christian values, gawd....

Old 02-10-2015, 08:05 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,690,196 times
To read some posters here you'd think the entire south all think and act the same. Alabama did something and all I see is "the south".

Old 02-10-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
To read some posters here you'd think the entire south all think and act the same. Alabama did something and all I see is "the south".
That's why i pointed out that it's pretty much limited to Alabama . No other Southern states have done anything like this so far.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:10 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,396,089 times
The South, in general, values states’ rights and local control. Regardless of the issue, southerners reject the expansion of federal powers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies