Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 04:32 AM

963 posts, read 690,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Just look at the ruckus legalizing gay marriage in Alabama has caused. You have a state judge ordering people to disobey the federal ruling and NOT give out marriage certificates.
You Fed lovers really don't understand Federalism, do you. Maybe you do, but you just don't give a damn about our Founding Documents

Old 02-10-2015, 04:34 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
You Fed lovers really don't understand Federalism, do you. Maybe you do, but you just don't give a damn about our Founding Documents
We do, but realize that states rights have to conform to equality rights that come later is all.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:39 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
One of the strongest parts of our Constitution reflects the founders' realization that they had no chance of getting it right. They made our nation self-healing, building in a means by which their errors can be rectified. One of the errors that has been fixed was the excessive states-rights tilt.
Quote:
No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. ... The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.
With these words, our Constitution now no longer reflects the excessive states-rights tilt it once exhibited.

Even if right-wingers cannot allow themselves to acknowledge that.

Last edited by bUU; 02-10-2015 at 06:02 AM..

Old 02-10-2015, 04:44 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,930,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
What incredible self-ratifying nonsense. Gabe is referring to a litany of progress in our society for which there have been pockets of reactionaryism. It isn't limited to the South though. Reactionaryism and the rationalization of obstruction of progress can be found in other places as well. You lash out at others in apparently frustration that you cannot defend your perspective on the merits: You know that reasonable people, when looking at the changes outside of the context of how the changes affect them personally, acknowledge and recognize their progressive nature. It must suck to be a reactionary, without any reasonable argument to make to defend your perspective, simply because you are unwilling to grant that others have the right to live their lives, within their own skin, within their own families, within their own churches, as they see fit rather than in compliance with your obsolete preferences.

I'm confused. Are you referring to the moral standard that claimed that it was right for white people to enslave black people, or are you referring to something else?
I agree with you bUU.

& let's face it, even George Wallace recognized his 'progressive nature' when he took back his declaration of "Segregation now! Segregation tomorrow! Segregation forever!" & remarked he should've said, "States' rights now! States' rights tomorrow! States' rights forever!"

Some folks still use that rhetoric.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:47 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,531,299 times
The South is changing with the rest of the country, albeit at a slower pace. But Southerner's like to take change SLOW. But, younger folks even in the South are rejecting the Bible Belt's views on gays and other hot topic issues. Plus, the South is being invaded by more "damn yankees" (as my brother-in-law in South Carolina refers to me) like myself who are relocating there. As much rhetoric as I read about the South's bigotry, I've rarely experienced it myself. So, as long as they keep their views to myself in my presence, they are free to believe whatever they believe. We don't all have to agree, but civility is expected. And I usually encounter great civility in the South.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:17 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
The South is changing with the rest of the country, albeit at a slower pace. But Southerner's like to take change SLOW. But, younger folks even in the South are rejecting the Bible Belt's views on gays and other hot topic issues. Plus, the South is being invaded by more "damn yankees" (as my brother-in-law in South Carolina refers to me) like myself who are relocating there. As much rhetoric as I read about the South's bigotry, I've rarely experienced it myself. So, as long as they keep their views to myself in my presence, they are free to believe whatever they believe. We don't all have to agree, but civility is expected. And I usually encounter great civility in the South.
The liberals' constant garbage about the racism and backwardness in the South is a clear indication of how ignorant they truly are. They style themselves as intellectually and morally superior, but in reality are shallow and narrow minded people who simply parrot politically correct rhetoric. People who actually live in the South see blacks and whites and straights and gays living and working together daily. The leftists want to pretend it is still 1964 in Mississippi and Georgia. It lets them puff themselves up with how enlightened and progressive they are and look down their noses at all the rednecks. The truth is that nobody wears white robes anymore, nobody's being lynched, and nobody is forced to go to church. People in the South have cellphones and running water and all their front teeth. The leftist view of the South is nothing but them advertising the exact type of bigotry that they claim they crusade against.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:23 AM

1,349 posts, read 664,370 times
During a trip in Louisiana, my 10+more years partner and I (heterosexual white people, mind you) were "given" 2 separate bedrooms in a B&B as we didn't bear the same name and thus couldn't prove we were married (we were not).

But then..... we still got a room and even two, who's complaining?

Old 02-10-2015, 05:25 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
Right-wingers typically don't know many people of color in the South well enough for them to be trusted with the true stories of living as a person of color in the South. I suspect that in the three months I've lived here I've had more substantive heart-felt interchanges with people of various minority constituencies, including people of color, about the intolerance, discrimination, and racism they experience in the South, than most right-wingers in the South have had in their lifetime. It is excessively easy for right-wingers to blind themselves to the corruption all around them if it is corruption they like, if it is corruption that serves their purposes and rationalizes the offenses they want to engage in with impunity. It is excessively difficult for right-wingers to internalize that their behavior is part of a problem that the solution to which would adversely impact their own personal preferences. Even left-wingers, even members of minorities, have to be conscious of how their actions are shaped by a society with such corruption built into the institutions. So it is practically impossible to get right-wingers to not only recognize that they're deliberately supporting the corruption, deliberately trying to make things worse, but to go from there to recognizing that even if they stopped trying to make things worse they still have to be aware of how the corruption is still institutionalized and therefore must be consciously avoided.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:50 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,524,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
The liberals' constant garbage about the racism and backwardness in the South is a clear indication of how ignorant they truly are. They style themselves as intellectually and morally superior, but in reality are shallow and narrow minded people who simply parrot politically correct rhetoric. People who actually live in the South see blacks and whites and straights and gays living and working together daily. The leftists want to pretend it is still 1964 in Mississippi and Georgia. It lets them puff themselves up with how enlightened and progressive they are and look down their noses at all the rednecks. The truth is that nobody wears white robes anymore, nobody's being lynched, and nobody is forced to go to church. People in the South have cellphones and running water and all their front teeth. The leftist view of the South is nothing but them advertising the exact type of bigotry that they claim they crusade against.
Then maybe the legislatures of these states should save face and allow same sex marriages already if they aren't bigots.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:11 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,056,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Pretty much. And most of the racism is confined to the older generation that is dying off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Right-wingers typically don't know many people of color in the South well enough for them to be trusted with the true stories of living as a person of color in the South. I suspect that in the three months I've lived here I've had more substantive heart-felt interchanges with people of various minority constituencies, including people of color, about the intolerance, discrimination, and racism they experience in the South, than most right-wingers in the South have had in their lifetime. It is excessively easy for right-wingers to blind themselves to the corruption all around them if it is corruption they like, if it is corruption that serves their purposes and rationalizes the offenses they want to engage in with impunity. It is excessively difficult for right-wingers to internalize that their behavior is part of a problem that the solution to which would adversely impact their own personal preferences. Even left-wingers, even members of minorities, have to be conscious of how their actions are shaped by a society with such corruption built into the institutions. So it is practically impossible to get right-wingers to not only recognize that they're deliberately supporting the corruption, deliberately trying to make things worse, but to go from there to recognizing that even if they stopped trying to make things worse they still have to be aware of how the corruption is still institutionalized and therefore must be consciously avoided.
Nothing but a bunch of rubbish as an a excuse to rant again about your hated "right wingers."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies