Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2015, 06:52 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Caucasian Americans happen to be, on average, a full decade older, than 1st generation immigrants. That is the main driver behind the fact whites will represent less than 50% of US population by 2050. It's simply mother nature. Immigrants disproportionately, relative to Caucasian Americans, are in the decades where they are most apt to have children.

Predicting that is no harder than predicting a 0% pregnancy rate amongst residents at a nursing home.
Remember ZPG being talked about about 40 years ago? That's 1 HUGE reason why birthrates have dropped like a stone in any decent country and are now falling real fast in places like Mexico, Russia, China and so on. THAT'S why the "Caucasian" pop is aging here in the US. It is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
35 years is not a long time in terms of a nation. Native Caucasians who are several generations removed from Ellis Island relatives are having fewer kids , as women are now the majority of college grads, and they want productive professional careers. Multiple stints on the Mommy Track abort such dreams.

Now when immigrants are a few generations removed from pre citizen family, and as they raise their rates of college graduation, they may also opt to have smaller families.

But 35 years is not going to change their respective cycles.

In POTUS races, the 1980 electorate was around 88% white. 2016 will be around 70%. That movement of 12 to 30% non-white is subject to a multiplier affect, like rapidly rising waters. It will increase its pace. But even if it didn't add 36 years to 2016..woh that is 2052. Subtract 18% from the white %, as that is what it dropped in 36 years 1980-2016, you are at 52%. So even if it didn't increase its pace, 2052 would be the last time we'd see a majority Caucasian POTUS electorate.

That isn't the 1st time this land's demographics have changed. Ask the Indians.
Try again. 1920 the US shut off MOST immigration then things opened back up in 1965. Immigration WILL soon be shut off again because more and more of us Americans WANT it that way. Period.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:00 AM

[quote=thaiman71;39803913]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory;397987001). You did say this. " Knowing a foreign language is one of the aspects of the big 3 quotients for competitive success that may provide better performance in a job environment". [B
I disagree only in the extreme cases[/b].

2). I didn't say that. I said it may occur in the rural south but not by most Americans. So now who has a reading comprehension problem?

What does your link have to do with anything? Are you claiming that immigrants aren't going to assimilate to English and we will have to learn all their languages instead? By the way, blacks mostly speak English in this country also.

I see you couldn't dispute my link about most Hispanic-Americans knowing English, could you?[/quote

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the Hispanic-American population rises (see later posts by others), there will be less and less incentive to speak English in unskilled and blue collar jobs.

Congratulations, you are part of the 30% of the population that believes that knowing a foreign language is unimportant:

"About one in five Americans -- 19% -- believe that it is essential to speak a second language in general and an additional 50% of the population believe that knowledge of a foreign language is a valuable skill but is not necessarily essential. Nearly one-third -- 30% -- feel that it is not too important or not important at all to speak a second language." (Gallup poll)

"Increases with advanced education-- Twenty percent of high school graduates are bilingual, compared to 25% of those with some college experience, 33% of college graduates and 43% of those with postgraduate education." (Gallup Poll)
Now go look at average lifetime earnings vs. level of education.

You can disagree all you want, but advanced degrees (and the correlated bilingual rates) increase the likelihood of (but does not guarantee) better jobs and/or performance.

Improperly-spoken English is common all over the US: "Me and Fred went to the store", "I could care less"....
Almost every grocery store I have been in has the signs at a checkout "10 items or less", where anyone with an 8th-grade education or higher knows it should be "10 items or fewer".
Ending a sentence with a preposition.... Starting a sentence with a conjunction is debatable. I could go on and on. It just makes the speaker sound like an idiot. (this is coming from a techie nerd that never took a humanities course past 12th grade, so I too do make mistakes). Does it really matter? Well, it tells others about your background.
Uh, try again, please. There's more and more "prejudice" against ILLEGAL aliens and la raza. Even the decent "Hispanic" people what their despicable kind put in their place and deported. Unlike the different American Indian "nations" way back in the day; the US is still quite strong enough to put a stop to most immigration AND demand that legal aliens learn English and USE it instead of Spanish, Chinese and so on.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:03 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
[quote=thaiman71;39803913]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
1). You did say this. " Knowing a foreign language is one of the aspects of the big 3 quotients for competitive success that may provide better performance in a job environment". I disagree only in the extreme cases.

2). I didn't say that. I said it may occur in the rural south but not by most Americans. So now who has a reading comprehension problem?

What does your link have to do with anything? Are you claiming that immigrants aren't going to assimilate to English and we will have to learn all their languages instead? By the way, blacks mostly speak English in this country also.

I see you couldn't dispute my link about most Hispanic-Americans knowing English, could you?[/quote]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the Hispanic-American population rises (see later posts by others), there will be less and less incentive to speak English in unskilled and blue collar jobs.

Congratulations, you are part of the 30% of the population that believes that knowing a foreign language is unimportant:

"About one in five Americans -- 19% -- believe that it is essential to speak a second language in general and an additional 50% of the population believe that knowledge of a foreign language is a valuable skill but is not necessarily essential. Nearly one-third -- 30% -- feel that it is not too important or not important at all to speak a second language." (Gallup poll)

"Increases with advanced education-- Twenty percent of high school graduates are bilingual, compared to 25% of those with some college experience, 33% of college graduates and 43% of those with postgraduate education." (Gallup Poll)
Now go look at average lifetime earnings vs. level of education.

You can disagree all you want, but advanced degrees (and the correlated bilingual rates) increase the likelihood of (but does not guarantee) better jobs and/or performance.

Improperly-spoken English is common all over the US: "Me and Fred went to the store", "I could care less"....
Almost every grocery store I have been in has the signs at a checkout "10 items or less", where anyone with an 8th-grade education or higher knows it should be "10 items or fewer".
Ending a sentence with a preposition.... Starting a sentence with a conjunction is debatable. I could go on and on. It just makes the speaker sound like an idiot. (this is coming from a techie nerd that never took a humanities course past 12th grade, so I too do make mistakes). Does it really matter? Well, it tells others about your background.
According to the stats with each later generation of Hispanics there will be less Spanish being spoken by them and more English. Didn't you read the link I provided about English usage by Hispanics in this country by each generation? Their kids are attending our schools which are taught in English. Lick your chops all you want but English is still going to remain the de facto national language in this country and immigrants will either learn it or sink or swim because we aren't pandering to them in their languages nor should we.

Your constant rants about improper language usage by native English speakers is hilarious. As long as we can communicate that's all that matters and it's BS that most native English speaker don't speak proper English. I don't even know what kind of point you are trying to make. Even many foreigners don't speak their own language perfectly. If according to you Americans can't speak proper English then how in the hell are they going to learn a foreign language? I reiterate that there is hardly any need to learn a foreign language in this country. It would only be for a very small number of jobs. In fact English is the business language across the world. I really have no further need to debate with you, thaiman. And by the way you didn't use the quotes correctly so it looks like I am responding to myself with this post when clearly I am not. Bye.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post

According to the stats with each later generation of Hispanics there will be less Spanish being spoken by them and more English. Didn't you read the link I provided about English usage by Hispanics in this country by each generation? Their kids are attending our schools which are taught in English. Lick your chops all you want but English is still going to remain the de facto national language in this country and immigrants will either learn it or sink or swim because we aren't pandering to them in their languages nor should we.

Your constant rants about improper language usage by native English speakers is hilarious. As long as we can communicate that's all that matters and it's BS that most native English speaker don't speak proper English. I don't even know what kind of point you are trying to make. Even many foreigners don't speak their own language perfectly. If according to you Americans can't speak proper English then how in the hell are they going to learn a foreign language? I reiterate that there is hardly any need to learn a foreign language in this country. It would only be for a very small number of jobs. In fact English is the business language across the world. I really have no further need to debate with you, thaiman. And by the way you didn't use the quotes correctly so it looks like I am responding to myself with this post when clearly I am not. Bye.
Agreed. Many "Hispanic" kids with US born parents DON'T want to learn Spanish AND are getting pissed off at the drama that way too many Spanish speaking Hispanic people start with others. Those kids are "anglo white" in culture and I DON'T blame them at all.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:18 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
You have that liberty, yes, but you shouldn't have it.

I understand that countries in Europe must do everything they can to fill a position from their own population before offering a job to a foreigner. If those countries are part of the EU, then they must give priority to citizens of EU countries. That makes sense: it is the responsibility of any civilized government to look out for the welfare of its own citizens above all.

And again, I don't see why you need to go looking in other countries and on other continents when we have over 300 million people in this country.

When you consider that ancient Greece had a population of -- at most -- 3,000,000, and produced such geniuses as Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Aristophanes, Thales, Anaximander, Democritus, Gorgias, Protagoras, Parmenides, Heraclitus, Euripides, Euclid, Ptolemy, Sophocles, Epicurus, Aeschylus and Homer, it would seem that companies in a nation with one hundred times ancient Greece's population could find plenty of qualified people here.

And those people would not even have to come close to the level of genius of the above-mentioned ancient Greeks.
Right again. If employers are looking outside this country for so-called superior or best workers it is nothing but a lie. What they are looking for is cheaper labor not that there aren't enough qualified or skilled Americans to do the same job for a fair wage. As I said, that is precisely why some hire illegal aliens also. It's all about greed and profit all the while screwing the American worker. Anyone who tries to justify the lie is an anti-American traitor.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:29 AM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
dechatelet"I said that you can source globally, but you should not be allowed to do so."

When you have a nation you fully own (100% of all land), I'll accommodate your requirements. Until then, we'll continue obeying the laws of the USA, and sourcing globally is legal.

When Americans present our best option, we willingly hire them. When Asians do, we hire Asians. The job of any employee is to be their employer's bestbang for the buck, a/k/a the best option. If he/she fails, it is the fault of the individual employee. Whereever he came up short, he should improve upon for the next employment possibility. No matter his nation of origin.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:45 PM

493 posts, read 514,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bioendoic View Post
Yes, but white people will always hate you mexicans, not the chinese. deal with it.
Your racism is so strong it must have compelled you to type my username into the search box and fish through my posts.

Or you are just bored because you have no life.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:47 PM

493 posts, read 514,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
The job of any employee is to be their employer's bestbang for the buck[/b]
Exactly why the job market is as it is - why employers want experienced employees for entry-level positions. The reason why young college graduates like myself are shut out of the labor market for any gainful employment. An unemployed but experienced 40-something desperate for work will take a 25-year-old's salary. Win for employer.

Old 05-29-2015, 10:38 PM

1,274 posts, read 978,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
Exactly why the job market is as it is - why employers want experienced employees for entry-level positions. The reason why young college graduates like myself are shut out of the labor market for any gainful employment. An unemployed but experienced 40-something desperate for work will take a 25-year-old's salary. Win for employer.
Not necessarily experienced but at least smart enough to be autonomous, for the entry level jobs. That requires a capacity of abstraction and some methodology that does lack with many junior workers unfortunately, especially when faced with topics they have never seen before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies