Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2015, 04:53 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,968,825 times

Advertisements

Saw a Dunkin Donuts T-shirt in the grocery store today that said, "friends don't let friends go to Starbucks." Now more true than ever! I agree with bobtn--this will be quickly shut down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 04:57 PM

3,890 posts, read 4,545,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
All derision aside, any idea how this will be implemented?
I'm actually going to have lunch with my friend who works for Starbucks this Friday.
She's no kid... she's working part time as a barista after working full time for 15 years as a manager, so I can't wait to ask her about this. Ha ha!
If I can find this thread on Friday, I'll report back.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:03 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times
Of all the nitwittery in the world, now this!

Leave it to, well, rich Liberals, to come up with some of the most bizarre ideas!

Old 03-18-2015, 05:36 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,824,559 times
I like my coffee Hot and Black...

Old 03-18-2015, 06:13 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Well they got what they asked for.....people are talking
Yeah talking about what idiots they are, and people deciding that they have had enough of pumping money into these wacko liberals pockets.

I think I might have a gift card from Starbucks somewhere, and if I do I will use it(so as not to give them the profit of me not cashing it in). I will tell the employees they had better not write anything on my cup or they will be remaking whatever I ordered again.
Then once the card is exhausted, I will not be going back there, even though I rarely went unless it was a long night on the road and I needed something to keep me awake.
I will just google the nearest Duncan Donuts instead, as their prices are way cheaper, and the coffee is better as well.
I'll be DD is happy with this fools idea as it will likely put more business for them.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:45 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
When they asked how’s your day going I thought that was prying enough. But I do wonder how many of their employees are socially aware or skilled enough to converse on the subject. They may be trying to create a more ethnically diverse or friendly clientele. I think it is a decision made to positively affect the bottom line somehow.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 03-18-2015 at 07:55 PM..

Old 03-18-2015, 07:46 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,977,520 times
Starbucks market capitalization $70.77 billion, Dunkin donuts $4.732 billion.

Dunkin Brands Group Market Cap (DNKN)

I'd be happier to be Starbucks than Dunkin.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:09 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,231,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Starbucks market capitalization $70.77 billion, Dunkin donuts $4.732 billion.

Dunkin Brands Group Market Cap (DNKN)

I'd be happier to be Starbucks than Dunkin.
They definitely found a niche at the right time. They charge 5 bucks for a cup of coffee (mostly ice) because they can. They need an equal competitor to bring down the prices.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:14 PM

27,156 posts, read 15,330,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
When two people begin talking to each other, race becomes less important than it was before the talking started. One person may like the other, or not, but it becomes a difference between individuals, not races. And people of good will are the same regardless of their color.

Conversation creates mutual respect and mutual civility. Old fears and generalizations, the roots of bigotry in all it's forms, being to wither in the presence of polite conversation, as we are all more similar than different in most aspects of our lives.

There's no harm in a business asking it's employees to do a little conversing when it's appropriate. Coffee is a beverage that has always been a conversation starter among strangers everywhere. Starbuck's is not only doing the right thing socially, it's also doing something helpful for it's business. It's all win-win, and I hope other businesses begin encouraging the same.

You are right but customers are not there to socialize with the company.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:33 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post

This was followed Monday by a company directive where baristas are being encouraged to spark race discussions with the option to handwrite the words “Race Together” on a customer’s cup.
Baristas...is that what they call coffee servers to justify the price tag of Starbucks.
I'd rather discuss that ^^^ than a talk about race, there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies