Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2015, 10:44 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
They definitely found a niche at the right time. They charge 5 bucks for a cup of coffee (mostly ice) because they can. They need an equal competitor to bring down the prices.
You can just order easy Ice. And I have never paid 5 bucks for a cup of coffee. More like 1,50. I paid 4 something for a Tall latte ( aka hot milkshake ) .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 10:57 PM

16,604 posts, read 8,619,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
But at least, it raises awareness of the biggest problem plaguing this country...race relations.
In leftists minds, you'd like to think that is our biggest problem. It is right out of the playbook you likely live you life by, that being Saul Alinsky's warped mind.

In reality no one wants to take personal responsibility for their failings, and want to look for excuses as to why they are having trouble getting ahead. Few are willing to even feel shame for their shortcomings, much less take responsibility for it like Colonel Barog.
Chances are many of never heard of him because they don't teach real history anymore in school. Granted he took it to an extreme, but his way is refreshing compared with a leach like this;

This Welfare Mom Has Been Collecting Government Checks for 12 Years – Here’s What She Thinks about Getting a Job

This is also an interesting read from across the pond;

Our Shameless society: How the welfare state created an age of entitlement | Daily Mail Online

`

Old 03-18-2015, 11:14 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Of all the nitwittery in the world, now this!

Leave it to, well, rich Liberals, to come up with some of the most bizarre ideas!
Yup. Nothing is as bizarre as a little friendly conversation. Now i gotta go tell all the nitwits I often do some morning coffee at the North Hiway Café with that they're nitwits.

I wish i could say that they're all rich liberals, but actually, most of them are retired farmers who've never voted for a Democrat in their life. Most likely, I'm the only one they've ever known. One's a retired cop, and another is a retired doctor. The doc is pretty well fixed, but the rest are having a rough retirement, like mine.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:15 PM

3,890 posts, read 4,544,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
When they asked how’s your day going I thought that was prying enough. But I do wonder how many of their employees are socially aware or skilled enough to converse on the subject.
It makes me wonder too...if writing the race thing on a cup is discretionary for the employee, how will the barista decide WHO gets the race cup? An Asian? A Jew wearing a skullcap? A woman wearing a Burka? The white guy wearing a t-shirt with a peace sign or the one with the cowboy hat? Will an African American barista give one to another African American?

Actually, I want one! After this idea's gone down the drain like old coffee, I'll sell it on Ebay.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:58 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
Me: "Small coffee, black, please."
Starbucks Barista: "What do you think of the state of race relations in the local area?"
Me: "Shut up and gimme my coffee, or I go to City Brew!"
Barista hands me a cup of coffee, and I go sit down.

The only problem with that scenario is, I NEVER go to Starbucks, and VERY seldom go to City Brew!

Old 03-19-2015, 07:09 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Starbucks wants baristas to talk about race with customers | Fox News

Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz has never shied away from voicing his political opinions. But now the outspoken leader of the world's biggest coffee chain is taking on one of the most heated topics of today: race relations.

On Sunday, Starbucks published a full page ad in USA Today with the words “Shall We Overcome?” on a stark, black background to kick off its initiative.

This was followed Monday by a company directive where baristas are being encouraged to spark race discussions with the option to handwrite the words “Race Together” on a customer’s cup.
I understand that they no longer offer "black coffee." It is now called, "uncreamed!"

Why anyone would patronize this left-wing business, Starbucks, just to be engaged in a debate, is beyond me. I wouldn't set foot in a Starbucks.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:28 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,697,821 times
Me: "I'll have an iced, triple grande, soy, one-pump vanilla caramel macchiato"
barista: "Does your drink represent the color of America in the future?"
Me: "idk, but lemme have my coffee so I can go poop"
Barista: "um, ok "
Me: laughing quietly to myself

Old 03-19-2015, 07:29 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
But at least, it raises awareness of the biggest problem plaguing this country...
You're right about the purpose it serves, but wrong about the biggest problem. The biggest problem facing this country is not race relations, it's meddlesome ne'erdowells who think they have to jump into everyone's business/behavior to produce some mythical harmonious collective. It's people thinking they not only have the right, but the duty to simply interject themselves into other people's lives and not only force their opinions on them, but force their agreement with those opinions as well.

So yeah, this does raise awareness of that problem. Starbuck's senior exec decides that his company's low level front line workers are now charged with attempts at this meddling, intrusion and compulsion to force opinion and discussion onto people who just want a freaking cup of coffee. No doubt, the biggest problem we face...sanctimonious jacktards who just have to sermonize, pontificate and badger people into complying with their worldview.

Starbucks can pound salt forever imho for even thinking this up.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:47 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,465,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
When two people begin talking to each other, race becomes less important than it was before the talking started. One person may like the other, or not, but it becomes a difference between individuals, not races. And people of good will are the same regardless of their color.

Conversation creates mutual respect and mutual civility. Old fears and generalizations, the roots of bigotry in all it's forms, being to wither in the presence of polite conversation, as we are all more similar than different in most aspects of our lives.

There's no harm in a business asking it's employees to do a little conversing when it's appropriate. Coffee is a beverage that has always been a conversation starter among strangers everywhere. Starbuck's is not only doing the right thing socially, it's also doing something helpful for it's business. It's all win-win, and I hope other businesses begin encouraging the same.
And if the story were that a fundamentalist Christian company was starting an initiative to have their employees discuss the immorality of gay marriage with customers, you leftists would no doubt be up in arms over how inappropriate it was for the company to be trying to force their opinions on customers.

I know this because there was a thread a while back where a business offered a discount to any customers who brought a church flyer in with their order, and the liberals on this forum were up in arms over how terrible that was.

And how the leftists who posted what an insult it was for Netanyahu to make a speech to congress that criticized an American policy were nowhere to be found when Corazon of Mexico made a speech to congress that criticized Arizona's immigration law.

This is another example of how truly unprincipled and unethical liberals are. The reality is that it's all about politics. Your declaration that "There's no harm in a business asking it's employees to do a little conversing when it's appropriate" no doubt translates directly to "There's no harm in a business asking it's employees to do a little conversing when they're expressing opinions I agree with"

Not that I've seen anything from banjomike specifically, it's just a general comment that the hypocritical sanctimony from liberals having such high and mighty principles when those principles coincide with their own political gain and then conveniently dropping those principles like hot potatoes afterwards gets tiring to deal with.

Last edited by kidkaos2; 03-19-2015 at 07:59 AM..

Old 03-19-2015, 08:18 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,231,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
It makes me wonder too...if writing the race thing on a cup is discretionary for the employee, how will the barista decide WHO gets the race cup? An Asian? A Jew wearing a skullcap? A woman wearing a Burka? The white guy wearing a t-shirt with a peace sign or the one with the cowboy hat? Will an African American barista give one to another African American?

Actually, I want one! After this idea's gone down the drain like old coffee, I'll sell it on Ebay.
Someone who looks as emotionally benign as possible I would guess. AKA someone who won't want to punch them in the face because they haven't had their coffee yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies