Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2015, 08:19 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,524,492 times

Advertisements

Where is the puke emoticon!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 08:28 AM

5,209 posts, read 4,673,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
You're right about the purpose it serves, but wrong about the biggest problem. The biggest problem facing this country is not race relations, it's meddlesome ne'erdowells who think they have to jump into everyone's business/behavior to produce some mythical harmonious collective. It's people thinking they not only have the right, but the duty to simply interject themselves into other people's lives and not only force their opinions on them, but force their agreement with those opinions as well.

So yeah, this does raise awareness of that problem. Starbuck's senior exec decides that his company's low level front line workers are now charged with attempts at this meddling, intrusion and compulsion to force opinion and discussion onto people who just want a freaking cup of coffee. No doubt, the biggest problem we face...sanctimonious jacktards who just have to sermonize, pontificate and badger people into complying with their worldview.

Starbucks can pound salt forever imho for even thinking this up.
Actually it's not. The biggest problem is way simpler. It's stupidity. Race relationships is just the latest thing stupid people don't get. Kant wrote about what it means to be an enlightened person in the 18th century but hundreds of years later, the majority of humans are no closer to that ideal than they were during his time. We are only about one major natural disaster away from devolving into our primitive tribalistic past.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:37 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Starbucks wants baristas to talk about race with customers | Fox News

Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz has never shied away from voicing his political opinions. But now the outspoken leader of the world's biggest coffee chain is taking on one of the most heated topics of today: race relations.

On Sunday, Starbucks published a full page ad in USA Today with the words “Shall We Overcome?” on a stark, black background to kick off its initiative.

This was followed Monday by a company directive where baristas are being encouraged to spark race discussions with the option to handwrite the words “Race Together” on a customer’s cup.
I'd hand the damn cup back and ask for a clean cup!

Race relations in this country had been improving for many years until Barack Obama and his team of race-baiters (Sharpton, Holder, et al) took office, and they have now set us back 100 years. Lately, every speech he makes has some reference to race, racism, slavery (which was ended by Lincoln) and what Christians have supposedly done (his lies about the Crusades). I think Starbucks CEO is targeting the wrong audience. He ought to be confronting this administration, but he won't, because he is a willing accomplice.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:39 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,180,419 times
I have more trouble with the fact that there are people that will pay $5 for a cup of coffee in the fist place. When I was in college I remember working for a guy that owned a sandwich shop that once said" if someone would have told me that you could run a successful business just selling coffee in the 80's, I would have laughed in their face".

Coffee is coffee. Starbucks tastes no better than the stuff at the gas station IMO

Old 03-19-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
No kidding but I swore off of starbucks a few months ago when I walked into one and ordered their
"Coffee of the day" and was told that coffee is only made in the morning and since it was 2:00pm I would have to order something else.

I did oblige them, I left there and went to the grocery where they brewed me a fresh pot of coffee.
We sat there and I drank one cup then took a second cup with me when we left.
What??!!! They only offer coffee in the morning? Ridiculous!

Old 03-19-2015, 08:44 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,231,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
I have more trouble with the fact that there are people that will pay $5 for a cup of coffee in the fist place. When I was in college I remember working for a guy that owned a sandwich shop that once said" if someone would have told me that you could run a successful business just selling coffee in the 80's, I would have laughed in their face".

Coffee is coffee. Starbucks tastes no better than the stuff at the gas station IMO
I had a slight caffeine addiction. I will admit, we were spending 100 dollars every two weeks at Starbucks.

I know, --->

Old 03-19-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The worst part of waking up
Is Starbucks in my cup ?
Starbucks in you cup and a load of propaganda on the side.

If I ever went into one, which is not likely, I might have some rather snarky or even rude remarks to make to anyone who tried to engage me in a conversation that had to do with their view of the world.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:56 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,149,703 times
Good thing I don't drink coffee.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:59 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,925 times
What if the Barista doesn't share the same view on race relations as Starbucks, and engages the customers anyhow?

Old 03-19-2015, 09:26 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,731,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The Starbucks Director of Communications has deleted his twitter account. LOL

Apparently he really isn't ready to talk about it.

Starbucks exec deletes Twitter account after RaceTogether backlash
I know, crazy huh? The Starbuck's exec can't handle the discussion, but they expect an 18 year old in Iowa to lecture customers.

The Starbuck's executives are just like most Congress members. They pass edicts and then won't follow them themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies