Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 09:42 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times

Advertisements

Starbucks to have baristas talk to customers about race relations

What!?!

You mean I will have to deal with Indentured Servant while getting my coffee? Will he scream at me if I put some milk in it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 09:42 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,135,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
They will rue the day they start talking to me about race relations when I am buying my coffee. Especially if it happens to be the first cup of the morning.
Dude, you would just take your coffee and go...

Old 03-19-2015, 10:01 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Dude, you would just take your coffee and go...
Dude, I'll hand back coffee complaining it's not black enough and demand my money back.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:15 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,547,733 times
Why go to Starbucks?

Old 03-19-2015, 11:12 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
I have more trouble with the fact that there are people that will pay $5 for a cup of coffee in the fist place. When I was in college I remember working for a guy that owned a sandwich shop that once said" if someone would have told me that you could run a successful business just selling coffee in the 80's, I would have laughed in their face".

Coffee is coffee. Starbucks tastes no better than the stuff at the gas station IMO
When I was in art school in Pittsburgh, PA in the mid 60's, a cup of coffee was ten cents! Some places had good coffee, others not so good, but they all charged the same for a cup. They would keep your cup filled for that dime.

I've never tried Starbucks coffee. It's way to pricy. I buy Eight O'clock whole bean coffee in whatever flavor I choose, and brew it at home. It's delicious. I add a flavored creamer like International Delight, and I'll bet my coffee is at least as good as Starbucks for a fraction of the cost per mug.

Places like Starbucks are a scam and a rip-off. I'll bet Tim Horten's coffee is as good as Starbucks all day long.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:16 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,014,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
When I was in art school in Pittsburgh, PA in the mid 60's, a cup of coffee was ten cents! Some places had good coffee, others not so good, but they all charged the same for a cup. They would keep your cup filled for that dime.

I've never tried Starbucks coffee. It's way to pricy. I buy Eight O'clock whole bean coffee in whatever flavor I choose, and brew it at home. It's delicious. I add a flavored creamer like International Delight, and I'll bet my coffee is at least as good as Starbucks for a fraction of the cost per mug.

Places like Starbucks are a scam and a rip-off. I'll bet Tim Horten's coffee is as good as Starbucks all day long.
I thought, when I first saw this thread, that it was a joke (i.e., from a satirical newspaper or such). I see that it is in earnest. Appalling.

As for coffee: try roasting your own. All you need is green beans, and a hot-air popcorn popper (the kind with the vents in the side, not the bottom). Look it up online. You will thank me later.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:58 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,550,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
When two people begin talking to each other, race becomes less important than it was before the talking started. One person may like the other, or not, but it becomes a difference between individuals, not races. And people of good will are the same regardless of their color.

Conversation creates mutual respect and mutual civility. Old fears and generalizations, the roots of bigotry in all it's forms, being to wither in the presence of polite conversation, as we are all more similar than different in most aspects of our lives.

There's no harm in a business asking it's employees to do a little conversing when it's appropriate. Coffee is a beverage that has always been a conversation starter among strangers everywhere. Starbuck's is not only doing the right thing socially, it's also doing something helpful for it's business. It's all win-win, and I hope other businesses begin encouraging the same.
Don't most people start a polite conversation by talking about the weather?

Old 03-19-2015, 12:19 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I'd hand the damn cup back and ask for a clean cup!

Race relations in this country had been improving for many years until Barack Obama and his team of race-baiters (Sharpton, Holder, et al) took office, and they have now set us back 100 years. Lately, every speech he makes has some reference to race, racism, slavery (which was ended by Lincoln) and what Christians have supposedly done (his lies about the Crusades). I think Starbucks CEO is targeting the wrong audience. He ought to be confronting this administration, but he won't, because he is a willing accomplice.
Translation: race relations were improving until black folks got out of their place and voted for a black man for president. The nerve of those people!

BTW...race relations are still ok. It's YOUR personal race relations that have gone downhill. That's got nothing to do with most of us that get along just fine.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:37 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,565,470 times
Oh my god people, relax. As someone on the other forum noted, it's no big deal really. The barista writes something on a cup, end of story. It's akin to them writing your name & marking any special orders on it. Do you even notice the cup? Do you notice the writing on the cup? Did you even know that they had written on the cup? No, you didn't. It's two freakin' words on a cup that no one is even going to notice or care about. Chill out.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:02 PM

24,421 posts, read 23,076,143 times
I'm reminded of the extremely short lived political movement that itself The Coffee Party. Basically it was retirees and those outside the workforce along with some self employed, all of them still very few in number, that tried to support the government and wanted both parties working together for the good of the government and all that it could therefore do for America. Kind of a counter Tea Party organization. They congregated in small numbers in coffee houses in the Pacific Northwest and thought their insights were sure to catch on and inspire others. Naturally, they didn't. But at least they probably got free coffee out of it.
I'm also reminded that I've always said that Barack Obama was more suited to be a barista.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies