Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2015, 03:05 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,681,452 times

Advertisements

So why is Rafael signing up for Obamacare when both Canada and Cuba have universal healthcare?

Old 03-25-2015, 03:12 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
t

I'm sure it has been said before, but I will say it again. There is NO exemption of congress or their staff from the ACA. By law, those people, including Cruz, MUST purchase health insurance the same way ALL Americans MUST. No more federal subsidy to their generous healthcare plan.

For once, those jackasses are forced to abide by the same provisions they have voted upon us in regards to health care. Now if only we could get them to move over to social security.

Any case, Cruz is obeying the law. Does anyone have a problem with that?

PS any news on Obama and his compliance with ACA? Or do he and his inner circle have some kind of executive order exemption? I did not find anything while I was reading up on this issue.
If I am following you, it appears you are mistaken. The federal government continues to provide a benefit of premium subsidy to all their employees, including senators, reps and their aids.

In 1928, Congress passed legislation that required 24/7 availability of dedicated medical care was necessary for the President and Vice President and their immediate families.

The medical needs of the President and VP and their respective immediate families have been addressed by a teams of MDs, nurses, physician assistants and medics that travel with them at all times.

Do you think the next POTUS will waive this and instead, when necessary, hoof it over to the nearest urgent care center and take a number?

Old 03-25-2015, 03:18 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I'm laughing my ass off at how crazy the left is going because he now needs insurance, does not want to break the law, and the lefties are pissed!

LOL....

Call it what you want...

I just sitting back laughing at many in this very forum...including the 2 of you...
Rather than spending your time LAUGHING, maybe you should actually spend some time GETTING INFORMED.
He wouldn't be BREAKING THE LAW if he didn't buy insurance. It's NOT a CRIME. He'd pay a TAX PENALTY. He could be criminally charged for NOT PAYING THE TAX if he chose not to pay it (just as he could be charged with a crime for not paying any other tax - or even for not paying a speeding ticket) - but that would be for NOT PAYING THE TAX - not for NOT HAVING INSURANCE. It's not a CRIME to NOT BUY HEALTH INSURANCE. Just like you and me, he's perfectly free to not buy insurance. He's buying insurance because IT'S THE SMART THING TO HAVE.

Geeze!
Get a clue about how the law works.

Ken

Old 03-25-2015, 03:19 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
BBM~~ Actually..Cruz will NOT pay 100% as he will get 75% of his premium paid by his employer..which is the Federal Government... BTW~~ for Cruz..his premium part is 5% higher since his wife's employer WAS paying 80%.

I have no idea where you are getting all these #### like 30 million....Pooint is there a millions ( and I won't speculate how many) who now have HC coverage that did NOT have it previous...Who care's IMO..Those who can afford it without subsidy are the lucky ones...BUT those that never could afford it prior to ACA and it's subsidy scale applicable are greatful...Now that means..ALL those millions of HC coverage will NOT be a burden to Taxpayers by utilizing Emergency rooms and treatments...NOW that they have Insurance Company policies that PAY for their care....Get out your calculator to figure out the saving to the Taxpayer
"...NOT be a burden to Taxpayers..." Who the he!! do you think is paying their bill? It is the taxpayer! We were far better off having to pay for those few (in comparison) who used the Emergency rooms.

ACA is a monumental disaster and anyone with any intelligence knows it must be repealed before it bankrupts America, to say nothing of the damage to Society in increasing many, many times the mind-set that government owes people "freebies." What a breakdown of Society the government has caused!

Old 03-25-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
TIL search algorithms were left wing.

I'm sure somewhere there exists a search engine that only returns links to conspiracy blogs, Conservapedia, and World Net Daily. But could you find that engine using Google????
You have asked a better question, my friend.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:21 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Last i heard only 16 million had signed up for Obamacare, i'm wondering what the other 300 million Americans are using for Healthcare insurance and why Cruz isnt signing up for a non Obamacare healthcare insurance policy.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:24 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Couldn't Rafael use Canada's or Cuba's universal health care?

Old 03-25-2015, 03:35 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
"...NOT be a burden to Taxpayers..." Who the he!! do you think is paying their bill? It is the taxpayer! We were far better off having to pay for those few (in comparison) who used the Emergency rooms.

ACA is a monumental disaster and anyone with any intelligence knows it must be repealed before it bankrupts America, to say nothing of the damage to Society in increasing many, many times the mind-set that government owes people "freebies." What a breakdown of Society the government has caused!
BBM~~~ WTheck are referring to ( a few??)..The new millions who NOW have insurance under ACA (who couldn't afford it without subsidy) will no longer be required to go to ER for care....AS a now retired ER Nurse..I recall folks coming into ER for sore throats, booboo's that could have gone to Walk in Clinics or Family Doctor..costing OUR system ( Universal) BIG bucks...Drove me crazy

NOW, IF you think Taxpayer's assisting with maybe 3-4 thousand dollars a year for that coverage..Think before you assume now...IF NO ACA..going to ER for same ailments would cost the taxpayer multi-times that..Actually I would say 1000 times that in Taxpayer dollars...

Old 03-25-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Bwa ha ha! Your Republican plan includes "Create a new protection to help Americans with pre-existing conditions", "Modernize Medicaid to provide better coverage and care to patients", and "Targeted tax credit to help buy health care". How is that different from Obamacare?

All it adds is limits to malpractice lawsuits and allow companies to sell across state lines - neither of which makes a big dent in pricing.
These are huge issues to overcome.

An attempt to trump state tort laws sounds like it will end up eventually being decided by SCOTUS.

As I understand it, there is no federal law that precludes insurance from being sold across state lines. There are however, consequences. The concept right now calls for states to form interstate compacts. What this means is two or more states agree to the same healthcare insurance laws. More importantly, when insurance is sold across state lines, the insurer becomes subject to anti-trust laws.

Taxing the employee for the value of their employer's subsidy of insurance premium is not likely to go over well.

It eliminates the mandate. While it continues to prevent insurers from discriminating against pre-existing conditions, this is dependent upon one being continually insured. There is no opting into insurance once you are sick.

I will spend more time looking at the Medicaid end , if this gains traction. From what I have seen, it expects states to pick up more costs.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:38 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Thank you for owning it.

I am familiar with it and it's nowhere near ready for the Senate.

Taxing the value of the employer's contribution to the premium is not likely to go over well , regardless of partisanship.
You say its not ready because you want government run, socialized medicine. Just because it does not take over the entire healthcare sector, does not mean it is not ready to be debated in the Senate.

In any case, expect to see it, or something very close to it, debated in the Senate if the Supreme Court guts Obamacare, as many people expect to see happen by June of this year (90 days max)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies