Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 12:30 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
IMO just because it wasn't an accident (if indeed that proves to be the case) that doesn't make it terrorism. Terrorism is something larger than a person that commits suicide while taking others with him. There is nothing factual yet that the pilot had any larger statement to make.

Granted, it might have been premature to say this had nothing to do with terrorism but so far I've seen nothing to say it did.

Just because something bad happens, that doesn't make it an act of terrorism.
True, but would you, soon after such an incident when few details are actually know about the crash, publicly announce that it's NOT terrorism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 12:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
True, but would you, soon after such an incident when few details are actually know about the crash, publicly announce that it's NOT terrorism?
According to one of the articles, a link to which brentwoodgirl posted, talk of terrorism was buzzing on social media. And the announcement was that it did not APPEAR to be terrorism!

Old 03-26-2015, 12:36 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
It made me wonder why the Obama (or one of his spokeskiddies) made that announcement so soon after the news of the crash- IMO it wasn't necessary and I'd seriously doubt that he had a pipeline to the investigation so soon after the announcement, or knew something that none of the investigators at the scene or with the airline or governments involved couldn't know yet.

Just seems to me it was another pull for his Muslim buddies- he can't lose any opportunity to defend them against any potential "dissing" now, can he?
The White House spokesperson was answering a question from CNN. What exactly is your issue with the statement below?

White House Says At This Time There Is No Nexus To Terrorism In Deliberate Germanwings Crash

"CNN’s Kate Bolduan asked Earnest if the crash was terrorism. The Press Secretary answered, “Right now, the French authorities are the ones that have the lead in this investigation, and the United States at a range of levels have been in touch with their French counterparts to offer any needed assistance that’s necessary. At this point in the investigation, based on what we know now, there is no nexus to terrorism, but obviously this is something they’re going to explore and examine to find out what exactly happened. But there’s no doubt that these early reports that we are hearing is chilling.”

Old 03-26-2015, 12:39 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The White House spokesperson was answering a question from CNN. What exactly is your issue with the statement below?

White House Says At This Time There Is No Nexus To Terrorism In Deliberate Germanwings Crash

"CNN’s Kate Bolduan asked Earnest if the crash was terrorism. The Press Secretary answered, “Right now, the French authorities are the ones that have the lead in this investigation, and the United States at a range of levels have been in touch with their French counterparts to offer any needed assistance that’s necessary. At this point in the investigation, based on what we know now, there is no nexus to terrorism, but obviously this is something they’re going to explore and examine to find out what exactly happened. But there’s no doubt that these early reports that we are hearing is chilling.”
I don't see anything wrong with that to be honest.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:41 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
When did Obama rule out terrorism? That statement sounds a little idiotic. People with an agenda are always trying to bring Obama into every situation. There's help available for this condition...

It appears very ineffective, sour grapes are proving more habit forming than Schedule 1 narcotics.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:45 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post

That was a completely reasonable statement to make in response to a question about a terrorist link to the crash. And gee, for some reason the OP left out the second part of the statement bolded above. Did you think no one would eventually find the exact quote, OP, or was it more important that you get your dig in at the president than that your post was accurate?

No need to respond, it's a rhetorical question.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:52 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
That was a completely reasonable statement to make in response to a question about a terrorist link to the crash. And gee, for some reason the OP left out the second part of the statement bolded above. Did you think no one would eventually find the exact quote, OP, or was it more important that you get your dig in at the president than that your post was accurate?

No need to respond, it's a rhetorical question.
OP didn't leave out anything. That statement by the press secretary was from today. I posted the initial response, from Obama's security spokesperson, and it's sourced more than once in this thread.

Interesting that they felt the need to add the "but" section to the newest statements. Maybe they got some blowback for the initial response.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:56 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
I've heard reports that the co-pilot's vital signs - something that is monitored while inflight, were normal.
I have a hard time thinking that if he was doing this on purpose, knowing the outcome, that his vitals would be 'normal'.
I know those same reports show that he locked the cabin door and didn't allow the pilot entry, but how he can know what's about to happen and not have elevated heart rate, etc, is beyond my understanding.

May all those whose lives were effected be blessed and may they rest in peace.
Vitals are not monitored during flight.

The voice reorder picked up his steady breathing until the point of impact- reportedly suggesting he was conscious and deliberate.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:00 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times
Apparently the pilot suspended his training for a while because he was dealing with depression, so this could just be a severe mental health issue. Interesting that he passed the psych screenings. Wonder if they screen someone more closely if there is a known history or depression, etc.?

Old 03-26-2015, 01:05 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
As others have pointed out I haven't seen that quote. I've seen "no indications" of terrorism and that is pretty factual.

I don't say this to defend Obama either as I care little for him but what is, is what is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies