Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 06:52 PM

26,500 posts, read 15,084,039 times

Advertisements

I do find this a bit dubious. How do you determine that Iceland is the most inclusive place on Earth with a population that is 99% white?

The UN Human Development Index has the US in 5th place in the world and relies a bit more on hard data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 06:54 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,926,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
Canada is diverse if you considered a population of English, French, Scottish, Irish, German, Italian, and a smattering of everyone else as 'diverse'.

Bad example.
I live there six months of the year. The visible minorities are significantly more diverse than in the US.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:56 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I live there six months of the year. The visible minorities are significantly more diverse than in the US.
What about the invisible minorities?

Old 04-09-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I am referring to the link...it shows US debt at 17.9 trillion which is our NATIONAL debt (NOT including personal debt)....the link show norways NATIONAL debt at 737 billion(3/4 trillion)..NOT including personal debt...NATIONAL debt

and to say that Norway has a trust fund... so does the usa...supposedly we have a trillion dollar SS trust fund....but it doesn't REALLY exist

sorry but noway is in WORSE condition than the USA...not by much...but certainly not number 1 which you seem determined to want to say
Please read the following from your link. It INCLUDES private debt.
"This is a list of countries by external debt, the total public and private debt owed to nonresidents repayable in internationally accepted currencies, goods, or services,[1] where the public debt is the money or credit owed by any level of government, from central to local, and the private debt the money or credit owed by private households or private corporations based in the country under consideration. This is not to be confused with public debts which can be found under 'List of countries by public debt'."
Norway's trust fund is real, just like Alaska's is.

Norway Heats Up as Wealth Fund Nears $1 Trillion: Nordic Credit - Bloomberg Business

Norway’s gargantuan sovereign wealth fund, by the numbers – Quartz

Old 04-09-2015, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
What about the invisible minorities?
Much less than in the USA. Canadians tends to be a bit more tolerant, so same sex marriage and abortion are not issues.

Last edited by cupper3; 04-09-2015 at 08:11 PM..

Old 04-09-2015, 08:00 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/04/09...-low-life.html

US has fallen so far in so many areas, that it is only a myth that it is the best country to live in. That myth may slowly sinking as Americans expand their horizons and travel outside of their country, however it is a well known fact, that most Americans have never been outside their own country so how could they have a clue as to what goes on elsewhere.

What a sad situation.
Quality of life rankings are one of the biggest jokes of the internet.... they are just random a-- articles and studies meant to get views and get people arguing... in reality a news article can't tell you what place is the best for you, only you can.
I'm sure Norway is a great place for some people, for me? no thank you.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Quality of life rankings are one of the biggest jokes of the internet.... they are just random a-- articles and studies meant to get views and get people arguing... in reality a news article can't tell you what place is the best for you, only you can.
I'm sure Norway is a great place for some people, for me? no thank you.
Have you been there? I have, and talked to the people. I asked them about their high taxes, and you know what the common answer is?

"The government provides the services we want and need".

Well, what about waste?

" We trust that they are spending our money wisely ".

That is NOT the way that conversation would go in Canada or the USA.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:25 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
Have you been there? I have, and talked to the people. I asked them about their high taxes, and you know what the common answer is?

"The government provides the services we want and need".

Well, what about waste?

" We trust that they are spending our money wisely ".

That is NOT the way that conversation would go in Canada or the USA.
No i havent.... but do people not all have different tastes/values/goals in life?

for some people USA is the best place to live, for some people Norway is the best place to live.

just because you like one place better doesn't mean we all have to also like it better

Old 04-09-2015, 11:13 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,002 times
I don't know how accurate these surveys are. But here in America we simply do not believe in robbing Peter at gunpoint to pay Paul.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:14 AM

309 posts, read 258,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
This is loser talk. If this is the new mindset in this country we're doomed. If weren't for people chasing money and wanting to be "No. 1" we wouldn't have computers and internet that you're using right now to type on. We wouldn't have airplanes and cars and smart phones, and radios, tv's and cable, and Google, Amazon, steel and electricity, advances in medicine.
I am not in "this country", fortunately. I am in a country that I love, would never leave for any other place, and that has been through the ages a home for many of the inventors of the things you mention. We would not have computers without Konrad Zuse, automobiles without Karl Benz and Gottlied Daimler, X-rays without Wilhelm Röntgen, and Americans would not have made it to the moon without Wernher von Braun. And for a lot of the great inventors and discoverers it was not so much about the money as about the sheer joy of discovery and at least a hope of benefitting the humanity. We would probably NOT have many of the things we have now if all of them spent their days chained to their desk/workshop thinking only about how to make a buck and get the next promotion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies