Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2015, 06:46 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
unlike the US, if you graduate college in Europe you actually get job placement
in your field of study.
in the US, it's like, sorry, good luck out there, and pay off that loan.

Oh rly?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 06:55 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,302,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/04/09...-low-life.html

US has fallen so far in so many areas, that it is only a myth that it is the best country to live in. That myth may slowly sinking as Americans expand their horizons and travel outside of their country, however it is a well known fact, that most Americans have never been outside their own country so how could they have a clue as to what goes on elsewhere.

What a sad situation.
I don't need to read any further than Nic Kristof & NYT to know it is a load of hooey and to top it off, it is from Social Progress.

The OP obviously doesn't understand what American exceptionalism means.

Want to bet I could design my own ranking, just like Social Progress did to fit my agenda?

Old 04-10-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
I raise you Volvo, Spotify, Ikea, Ericsson, Nokia, and H&M.

Forbes ranks all of Scandinavia as better countries for entrepreneurs/business than the US. Better infrastructure, better educated people, higher QOL.

Best Countries for Business List - Forbes

Life isn't about being #1. It's about a nation coming together to give everyone combined the best overall quality of life.

You want to compare?

Take the entire population of the EU (all 400 million) ... and compare outcomes with the United States. THAT (the EU) is the entity that can be compared... not some piddly countries of 5 million, which is less than many CITIES in the United States!

We have more people living here ILLEGALLY than the entire population of Scandinavia... COMBINED.

Then you can see what it's like to have a large, diverse population trying to make decisions that affect HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of people who have wide varying perspectives and opinions.

Because guess what: As the EU shows, it really is hard to form a consensus among diverse populations, and to convince people to provide welfare and policies for others at the expense of their own.

Look at how hated Germany is for essentially propping up the EU and bullying everyone into submission.

There are certain things that Europe I think has a better handle on, such as worker quality of life issues. But the constant need to compare your little countries to larger, dynamic ones is kind of lame.

Countries, by the way, which are basically stagnant or falling in population. For all the glory of European way of life, it looks like it's about to get decidedly less "European" this century!

Old 04-10-2015, 07:49 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have been around for quite a while and, among other tings, fought in a stupid colonial war ('Nam 66-67), worked for both the public and private sectors of the economy and have not notices any loss of my personal freedom under President Obama. Pray tell what freedoms have you lost? You can still complain in a most insulting manner about the President. You can still find a job working for some corporate overlord. You can still complain to your local, state or federal government. And you can still VOTE. So what have you lost? Specifics please.
I doubt you did... I've never heard a vet say "Nam" but to address your question how about my right of expectation of privacy?

Federal law enforcement agents fly small planes loaded with gear to spy on Americans' cell phone calls.

Quote:
On Thursday, the Wall Street Journal, citing unnamed sources, revealed the extent of the program: Federal government gathers the data from Cessna airplanes and can cover most of the U.S. population.
Imagine for a moment if this news had happened under George Bush I or II? Imagine the screeching, crying and whaling of the left who raised hell about having libraries report what books you read... the invasion of privacy they would screech but when it comes to the incompetent Kenyan in the white house the left simply rolls over.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:57 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Oh rly?

Facts, take them away!

Old 04-10-2015, 08:10 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Oh rly?

Date and source please.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
I don't need to read any further than Nic Kristof & NYT to know it is a load of hooey and to top it off, it is from Social Progress.

The OP obviously doesn't understand what American exceptionalism means.

Want to bet I could design my own ranking, just like Social Progress did to fit my agenda?
Are you one of those that attack the news media an article appearers in rather than the facts contained therein?

Old 04-10-2015, 08:29 AM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Have you been there? I have, and talked to the people. I asked them about their high taxes, and you know what the common answer is?

"The government provides the services we want and need".

Well, what about waste?

" We trust that they are spending our money wisely ".

That is NOT the way that conversation would go in Canada or the USA.
I respect your opinion, but my experience tells me that anti-Americanism is a cultural preoccupation bordering on an obsession in Canada. It is just...well... strange. Making fun of Americans, or just quietly judging them, has been a national pastime in Canada. I think this alone is a type of insecurity.

I've been to Canada three times, don't get me wrong, I think the country is decent. Certainly not the best, it is not even going to make my top 10 favorite countries list, but still the country is decent. What I cannot stand is the judgmental attitude towards America as a country. I don't think they really have to.

I think one of the advantages of losing their sense of moral superiority is gaining a better grip on reality. The truth is, Canada was never that good, and America was never that bad.

1. Canada’s non-involvement in Iraq is a MYTH, not a truth.

As a matter of fact, they were involved in the wars in many different ways. One of the ways which they were involved was through their navy. They had thousands of people aboard numerous multi-billion dollar frigates and a destroyer that were involved in leading and protecting and supplying the coalition navy in the initial invasion in 2003, as well as many times since over the years. They have army generals, Canadian army generals, there were three different Canadian generals who held command positions leading the entire war, they were deputy commanders, so number two in command of the Iraq war. There were three of them and they each spent a year to a year and a half in Iraq. There was another Canadian general who led a US base where they trained thousands of us soldiers and sent them off to war in Iraq. We provided war planners which helped to organize the strategy for the wars, once it started.

Canada’s Secret War: IRAQ – Ten Years After “Shock and Awe” | Global Research - Centre for Research on Globalization

2. canadian health care is superior and is free

Wouldn’t it be nice to live in a country where all medical services are free? Wait a minute, you may be saying. We do. It’s called Canada.

Sorry, but no. We’ve been conditioned to think that way and it’s true that basic medical services are covered under Medicare: doctor visits, diagnostic tests, hospital stays, most surgeries, etc. But there are many other healthcare costs that have to be paid out of our own pockets, in part or in whole.

Recently, the BMO Wealth Institute published a report on Canada’s aging population that contained some startling numbers. It found that there are 5.3 million people age 65 and older in this country, or 15.3 per cent of the population. And that number will steadily increase going forward, due in part to the fact we’re living longer.

Free health care? Not in Canada: Pape | Toronto Star

Old 04-10-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Date and source please.
Read the bottom of the graphic.

Gives you both.

If you want even more updated stats, google is your friend.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I respect your opinion, but my experience tells me that anti-Americanism is a cultural preoccupation bordering on an obsession in Canada. It is just...well... strange. Making fun of Americans, or just quietly judging them, has been a national pastime in Canada. I think this alone is a type of insecurity.
There is some truth to that. I spend half my time in both countries. What amazes me is how little Americans know of the outside world, and it astounds me how little they know of their own country. They don't know it's geography, climates, much of it's history, can often name less States than I can, certainly less capitals of those States, don't understand their full system of government and often have a very myopic viewpoint.

Most of those are otherwise intelligent and successful people... they just are not interested beyond the news, Dancing with the Stars, or what Fox or MSNBC blathers about.

As far health care is concerned, the simple fact is that Canada spends 33% less of its GDP on health care, with better results than the USA. People live longer.those are the monetary facts, and those are the outcomes. Everything else in between is just talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies