Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 02:25 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
No...revulsion, disgust and utter shock at the cringeworthy sight of two blokes kissing in Christina Aguilera's "Beautiful" video - that was a natural, healthy and normal reaction that we had when we watched TRL after high school that day.

There was no premeditation involved; what was involved was a natural, healthy and normal reaction of revulsion and utter disgust. You people now have the audacity to imply our reaction(s) was unhealthy and sick when in reality what we were seeing was.

As I said earlier, you people know no bounds with your manipulation and agitprop; the Lenin quote earlier fits the situation perfect in this sorry country now just fine.
Interesting. Those are very over the top reactions to a kiss. I just watched the video. Your reaction and the fact that this kiss is the only thing you got out of that video tells me that you have a personal issue. Plus, you are still thinking about it, what, 15 years later. So, no, you are not having a healthy reaction.

Advice: When I don't want to see something - I look away and move on. I suggest you do the same. Unless you want to grow old in a state of continuous shock and disgust at society around you. It's only going to get worse for you at such a relatively young age. Have you ever considered therapy? I highly recommend facing your demons before they overtake you. Good luck!!!

The video in question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAfyFTzZDMM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 02:55 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,386,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Interesting. Those are very over the top reactions to a kiss. I just watched the video. Your reaction and the fact that this kiss is the only thing you got out of that video tells me that you have a personal issue. Plus, you are still thinking about it, what, 15 years later. So, no, you are not having a healthy reaction.

Advice: When I don't want to see something - I look away and move on. I suggest you do the same. Unless you want to grow old in a state of continuous shock and disgust at society around you. It's only going to get worse for you at such a relatively young age. Have you ever considered therapy? I highly recommend facing your demons before they overtake you. Good luck!!!

The video in question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAfyFTzZDMM

Queasiness is a sign of our wholesomeness and moral health, and our desire to remain uncorrupted. For the same reason I do not expose myself to thievery, pedophilia, prostitutes, life in crack houses, or other spiritually negative things.

If you don't feel queasy and appalled, it means you've had your membrane ripped. The paper bag has become wet and torn. Your moral bottom has fallen out, as it were...

Queasiness is not something that a good man wants to "beat". Queasy is good.

And if it really was a "phobia" it would be a good, natural, and essential one.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:56 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,706,855 times
I don't have a problem with any of the families, but it's a dumb idea for a commercial.

What the heck does the commercial have anything to do with having a headache, fever, or being sick? You could change the logo at the end and turn it into a bottled water, car, or even McDonalds commercial.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:38 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I don't have a problem with any of the families, but it's a dumb idea for a commercial.

What the heck does the commercial have anything to do with having a headache, fever, or being sick? You could change the logo at the end and turn it into a bottled water, car, or even McDonalds commercial.
Actually, it's not a dumb idea for Tylenol to go out there and tell people they are gay friendly.

Let me try to explain why I think this is from my personal point of view. Hopefully, you will try to understand from my perspective and not just have another religious right wing knee jerk reaction.

I'm a gay man working in the professional world. I am also partnered to *surprise* another gay man. We live together in our own home. 2.5 car garage, dogs, yard, fire pit, etc.

Once upon a time, I worked in a corporate setting in this other company. I always kept my personal life private. In a close corporate setting like that, everyone shared their personal details at some point or other. At one point, someone noticed that I always used gender neutral terms when referring to my significant other. So, I admitted that it was another man who was my significant other. After that point, things changed completely. People stopped talking to me. My evaluations all of a sudden started coming back all negative. I was held to impossible standards. They made me believe I was inadequate. I was eventually forced to leave that company.

It wasn't until many months after I left that company that I was able to get out of the depression they caused me and could begin to see what had been done to me.

My next company I decided to go back deep into the closet. Instead of using gender neutral terms, I started using opposite sex terms like she and her. And I went from having all negative evaluations from the other company to having above expectations evaluations in this new company. A couple years later, I was approached by a head hunter for a major multi-national, multi-billion dollar corporation asking me for my resume. Within 1 week of when I first was approached (and I mean from Friday to Friday), I was offered a job at this new place in a management team. At the time, I told them I wasn't sure I wanted to switch company, and they offered me a 50% pay increase if I switched. I am now working in management for this new company. Everyone under me is older than me. So... I guess I'm not such a bad worker as that first company said I was.

Here's the thing. I am still deep in the closet. It has worked out wonderfully well for me as I climb up the corporate ladder. My friends sometimes ask me why I'm still deep in the closet at work, and my answer is always the same. (1) My boss is a Muslim, (2) my co-workers are Christians, (3) staying deep in the closet and referring to my boyfriend and "girlfriend" and "she" has kept me safe all these years in the corporate world, and (4) I really don't want to have to face another situation like the one I faced in that first company.

In other words, I still live in fear. I have no idea who my friends and enemies are. This is why I always find an excuse to not bring my "girlfriend" to company events.

When people think of anti-gay, homophobic people, they think of the Westboro baptist church people who hold up signs that say god hates ****. But in reality, these are the people I'm least worried about. I'm not even worried about all the hate-filled christians on this forum.

It's the closeted bigots that keep me up at night. The closeted bigots are the ones that can cost me my job and livelihood. One moment they're my friends, the next they start holding me to impossible standards and slowly force me out of the company. As I always say, nice people always scare the hell out of me. I am now 30, so I really don't have the energy to start all over again.

Another question that comes up frequently is why didn't I just sue? It may surprise some people to know that most of us really are not the suing type. We just pick up the pieces and move on with our lives. The last thing I want is to end up on the 6 o'clock news. We're not all media whores.

I hope you understand by now what my main point is. The PR people for Tylenol probably recognize that normal everyday gay people like myself really have no idea who to trust these days. So, they are throwing out there that they are gay friendly. It's good for business to be inclusive.

Added by edit.

My partner and I regularly go out. We still get looks of disgust from people. When we notice, we simply get up and leave. Neither one of us want to make a scene. And no, we don't hold hands or do anything that indicate we're a couple. We're just a couple of guys. To us, being safe is a lot more important than making a statement. Yeah, we're cowards. We just want to live our lives in peace.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:17 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,996,741 times
Not today dear I have a headache...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies