Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 06:35 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,473,484 times

Advertisements

Thanks, OP, for posting this! What a sweet commercial! I hadn't seen it before.

I don't use medicines, but I may get some Tylenol for the medicine cabinet for my guests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 06:36 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Also, as has been pointed out by me in the other thread about this, it's not a commercial. There is no product tie-in whatsoever.

It's yet another lifestyle commentary, sponsored by Tylenol.
Yeah, a public service announcement.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:36 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Suddenly, conservatives are upset about corporations making money?

Whoodathunk??????????????????????
WHOAAAAAA I am not upset, so do not pin this on me. I am giving an opinion whether you like it or not.

You should know everything is about Money these days, no matter which Corportations are being run by Dems or Repubs. They find their niche and run with it, smart on their part.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:43 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
That's what I meant. The media is always late to the reality on the ground for most people.
??

So, what do you consider late? A couple of weeks?

strange...

Old 07-26-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Late, early?

Depends on your definition.

As nearly as I can tell, Vermont was the first state to legalize SSM, in 2000.

Here's a timeline, interesting reading.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeli..._United_States
That's quite a bit different from the Supreme Court ruling on the subject.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
WHOAAAAAA I am not upset, so do not pin this on me. I am giving an opinion whether you like it or not.

You should know everything is about Money these days, no matter which Corportations are being run by Dems or Repubs. They find their niche and run with it, smart on their part.
Yes, everyone know that.

You just attempted to undermine the spirit of the commercial by reminding everyone that the only reason for it is to increase corporate profits.

Believe it or not, everyone knows that.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:53 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
The ad is not political. Miscegnation (interracial relationship) laws were ruled unconstitutional in1967. Maybe OP is confusing this year, 2015, with 1967.

Nonetheless, I am sure Tylenol will suffer greatly knowing some racist nincompoop is treating his headache with Advil.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:53 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Personally I don't watch TV nor do I oppose gay marriage, but from a business sense perspective my gut says that while it might make sense for a new brand without much to lose and a need to grab market share, when an established brand that is already almost universally used gets into politics, on whatever side, that they alienate more people into stopping buying their product than they encourage people to start buying their product, because everyone who prefers Tylenol instead of Advil and brand instead of generic already does buy from them. They have something to lose and nothing to gain.

I would be uncomfortable with this if I owned their shares because I think it reflects their marketing department putting their own personal politics over good business, regardless of the fact that I agree with their politics. I don't own any though (outside of index funds), and since I agree with their politics this isn't going to alter my purchasing behavior at all, but I can see how someone who disagrees could see this and start buying generic (which they probably should regardless, no sense in paying more for brand).
Ah, but an established brand can get stale and wants to not only maintain their market share but increase it. I see this as more of a re-branding. Although, I am not familiar with their past marketing. I can't imagine the previous Ad was set in 1835 South Carolina and opened with slaves picking cotton while a white women lounged under a magnolia tree being fanned and doted on by her 4 lady slaves. Tagline: Slaves - when life was grand!

Gary, the gay head of Marketing, did not just decide on this campaign. He (presuming he exists) may have helped it along but, believe me when I tell you that, no one person could of been 100% behind this. They don't just throw Ad campaigns out willy nilly. Some here may believe that these types of campaigns shape society. Others would say they just reflect society. I go with mirroring society because, as you point out, no large company wants to lose market share.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:56 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,297,048 times
I don't think they are promoting anything but their brand. If seeing an inter-racial couple all of a sudden make you want to go out hook up with someone of another race (or a happy gay couple makes you makes you want to try out same sex relationships), then you've got bigger problems than a couple of Tylenol will solve.

To me, they're just marketing to the changing demographics of America.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:04 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
One more thing. Honey Maid had a similar campaign about a year ago. Here is their response to the hate they received.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBC-pRFt9OM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies