Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 03:56 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Desperate greed.
Think of the shareholders! The poor dears!

It's amazing.

When a corporation does something to increase market share, it is 'desperate greed' if someone does not approve of the method.

By the same token, when a corporation does something to increase market share by doing something someone approves of, then it's good old conservative business practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 03:58 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Many of you don't understand the power of social engineering through media.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:00 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,885,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
What a sweet commercial. Thanks for sharing.

You do understand that Tylenol is selling a product and they do so to make money. They are including all Americans in this ad. To go against interracial couples, couples with different race children and same gender couples makes bad economic sense. The world is advancing beyond the small minded among us. If this ad angers you, I don't know what to say except that you're in for a bumpy ride of a life. Good luck.
Personally I don't watch TV nor do I oppose gay marriage, but from a business sense perspective my gut says that while it might make sense for a new brand without much to lose and a need to grab market share, when an established brand that is already almost universally used gets into politics, on whatever side, that they alienate more people into stopping buying their product than they encourage people to start buying their product, because everyone who prefers Tylenol instead of Advil and brand instead of generic already does buy from them. They have something to lose and nothing to gain.

I would be uncomfortable with this if I owned their shares because I think it reflects their marketing department putting their own personal politics over good business, regardless of the fact that I agree with their politics. I don't own any though (outside of index funds), and since I agree with their politics this isn't going to alter my purchasing behavior at all, but I can see how someone who disagrees could see this and start buying generic (which they probably should regardless, no sense in paying more for brand).

Old 07-26-2015, 04:03 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,388,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Many of you don't understand the power of social engineering through media.
Nah. They do. They just lie through their teeth so they can indoctrinate more and more with their agenda.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:06 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
advertising is the antennae of US culture. Where the antennae probes, the insect is sure to follow.

Honestly I love the interracial themes in the Tylenol ad, especially the black female/white male wedding. But I still resent the effort to draw a comparison between interracial and gay. These are two entirely separate matters.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:14 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
advertising is the antennae of US culture. Where the antennae probes, the insect is sure to follow.

Honestly I love the interracial themes in the Tylenol ad, especially the black female/white male wedding. But I still resent the effort to draw a comparison between interracial and gay. These are two entirely separate matters.
You missed the whole point. Family is not about who you love, it's about love, period. It's kind of sad that you didn't get that.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:17 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,063,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The o.p. has an opinion and so does Tylenol. They differ, what's the problem?
OP has an opinion and some of us have different opinions. It's really that simple. Maybe OP would like to explain *exactly* what bothers them in that ad? Was it the African American family, the mixed race couple, the couple who adopted kids from different races, or the same sex lesbian couple? It certainly wasn't the Caucasian couple that has their panties in a twist, because apparently that's the only acceptable family or lifestyle.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:41 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,929,454 times
Is it truthful as an exmple to children, present a man 200# over weight as normal, along with all the heatlth issues?
Is it truthful as an example to childen , to present a lion and a lamb as a mating pair ?
In truth homosexuality is a lie ,being force fed to children as normal .

Old 07-26-2015, 04:52 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,063,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Is it truthful as an exmple to children, present a man 200# over weight as normal, along with all the heatlth issues?
Is it truthful as an example to childen , to present a lion and a lamb as a mating pair ?
In truth homosexuality is a lie ,being force fed to children as normal .
Well I don't think I'll be eagerly waiting for your next post. Have a nice day. I am glad the younger generation is more tolerant, probably from being taught all those lies.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:54 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
You missed the whole point. Family is not about who you love, it's about love, period. It's kind of sad that you didn't get that.
Actually you missed the point. But I bet you "feel good" about Tylenol now and will buy it because they approve of alternate lifestyles.

The company doesn't give a crap about "who you love". They just want people to buy their product.

If peoples started marrying dogs Tylenol would have a commercial showing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies