Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 02:09 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Personally I don't watch TV nor do I oppose gay marriage, but from a business sense perspective my gut says that while it might make sense for a new brand without much to lose and a need to grab market share, when an established brand that is already almost universally used gets into politics, on whatever side, that they alienate more people into stopping buying their product than they encourage people to start buying their product, because everyone who prefers Tylenol instead of Advil and brand instead of generic already does buy from them. They have something to lose and nothing to gain.

I would be uncomfortable with this if I owned their shares because I think it reflects their marketing department putting their own personal politics over good business, regardless of the fact that I agree with their politics. I don't own any though (outside of index funds), and since I agree with their politics this isn't going to alter my purchasing behavior at all, but I can see how someone who disagrees could see this and start buying generic (which they probably should regardless, no sense in paying more for brand).
What politics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Nah. They do. They just lie through their teeth so they can indoctrinate more and more with their agenda.
Are you talking about religions?

Old 07-27-2015, 02:11 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,812,644 times
I will be using off brands from now on. They got the right to push this stuff, but that doesn't mean Im going to use their product anymore.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
When I think of aspirin, I don't think of family and fighting for family. I think of: make my headache go away

What does Tylenol have to do with gay marriage, or interracial couples? If they want to put those people in there, then just put those people in the ad without making a big scene about it, narrated by an incredibly irritating voice. (Seriously, the narrator annoyed me, the commercial just made me smh.)
If the commercial made you smack your head, you might need some Tylenol now?

Old 07-27-2015, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
But you remembered the ad, didn't you? And now here we are talking about it.
Yep. The sign of successful advertising campaign is to get people talking about it and remembering it. Well done J&J.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:32 AM

Quote:
It's gotten out of control.

No more Tylenol purchases for me.
Take some Tylenol, a cup of tea, and little nanna nap and you'll feel better.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:19 PM

8,564 posts, read 10,987,037 times
It is a marketing gimmick and nothing more.
If you don't like the ad content, don't buy the product.
No need to get one's panties in an uproar.

Bob.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:30 PM

22,191 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:

And the problem with this is??

Old 07-27-2015, 07:36 PM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:

All those same-sex couples gave me a headache!

Old 07-27-2015, 07:43 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,886,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Ah, but an established brand can get stale and wants to not only maintain their market share but increase it. I see this as more of a re-branding. Although, I am not familiar with their past marketing. I can't imagine the previous Ad was set in 1835 South Carolina and opened with slaves picking cotton while a white women lounged under a magnolia tree being fanned and doted on by her 4 lady slaves. Tagline: Slaves - when life was grand!

Gary, the gay head of Marketing, did not just decide on this campaign. He (presuming he exists) may have helped it along but, believe me when I tell you that, no one person could of been 100% behind this. They don't just throw Ad campaigns out willy nilly. Some here may believe that these types of campaigns shape society. Others would say they just reflect society. I go with mirroring society because, as you point out, no large company wants to lose market share.
I do agree with you that this does to a large extent reflect the direction of present day society (the guys story-boarding the ad are as much part of it as their audience), and likelier than not in 20 years running an ad opposing gay marriage will be as suicidal as one supporting slavery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies