Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2015, 06:57 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,763,499 times

Advertisements

Please tell me this nutcase is NOT collecting 80K salary while sitting in jail?

It's time to bring the hammer down!

Old 09-06-2015, 07:04 PM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
She isn't going to win. I support the right of a business to do business or not do business with who they choose but that doesn't translate to their employee's. If the employer says "we are going to do business with X......." as an employee you do business with them or move on.

Same here. The government has said that they will all marriage to same sex couples. Her choice is now to do her job or move on.

It`s not a job.

It`s an elected office.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Having been married 4 times, according to her Bible, she is guilty of adultery at least three times.

Actually, according to her Bible, she is forgiven.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:17 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,736,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
But don't you see? By banning SSM, they essentially kept government completely out of the marriage business for same-sex couples. Where hetero couples still suffered under the yoke of government intervention in their marital affairs, the conservatives set the same-sex couples free, completely free, of any and all government meddling. The gays were going to be pioneers of the new non-government marriage - yet, did they appreciate it? Oh no. The ingrates.
LOL...with the reasoning they're using I can see them coming up with something like this for real!

Old 09-06-2015, 07:18 PM

[quote=Yeledaf;41105923]For starters, all of the art, music, schools, hospitals, universities, and charitable organizations it has inspired. All of those people can't have been seeking to harm others.

Personally, I think the slavish devotion to federal oversight and power shared by so many political progressives constitutes the most insidious theological threat to Americans. The Supreme Court is coming to resemble the Inquisition more and more every day. Nine black robes, appointed for life, subject to no regulations or earthly power, handing down their edicts...[/quote]

That is what the statists love about it!

Old 09-06-2015, 07:23 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I was unaware that anyone threw anything, including hatred, at anyone except Ms. Davis. If that did occur, one hopes the perpetrators were arrested. I don't recall reading about such arrests.

That is not news. The legal system has indeed ground another dissenter under its heel. Cheers all around.
No one physically threw anything at the clerk either. Both sides were shouting over the others.

When the couples went in Friday to get licenses they were greeted with chants of pervert and abomination. At the court house for the hearing "preachers" were out in force screeching about how this "poor woman" was being refused her rights because those abominations and deviants want to get married. The pro SSM side was chanting "love wins".

The legal system is working as it always has. file a suit, it works its way through the system, and there is a ruling. You may not like this ruling but it was and is a legally binding ruling.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
You could say exactly the same things about Islam. The problem isn't Islam. It's fundamentalism. There are Christian fundamentalists right here who would dearly love to impose their own version of Sharia Law on the rest of us. Kim Davis is apparently one of them.

Personally, I'd say Christian fundamentalists and the government officials who hold the same views seeking to impose their religious restrictions on everyone else are the most insidious theological threats to Americans. You want to be a Christian? Fine, have at it. Live your life whatever way you want. But don't try to force me or anyone else to live their lives your way.

As for the part about the Supreme Court, why was this never a problem before the gay marriage ruling? Indeed, social conservatives cheered the Hobby Lobby decision. Why is it a problem now? And if you think the Supreme Court is subject to no regulations or earthly power, you need to read the Constitution.

Does this also apply to MLK?

Old 09-06-2015, 07:34 PM

5,998 posts, read 3,736,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
For starters, all of the art, music, schools, hospitals, universities, and charitable organizations it has inspired. All of those people can't have been seeking to harm others.

Personally, I think the slavish devotion to federal oversight and power shared by so many political progressives constitutes the most insidious theological threat to Americans. The Supreme Court is coming to resemble the Inquisition more and more every day. Nine black robes, appointed for life, subject to no regulations or earthly power, handing down their edicts...
The Supreme Court merely interprets laws. They don't make them. What is so difficult to understand about that? Would you be raising such a fuss or preaching doom and gloom like this if they had upheld the ban on SSM? I think not. I sincerely believe you would have been very happy about it and everything would be right in your world had it gone the other way. But because it didn't, suddenly the SCOTUS is "making laws", subjecting people to "inquisitions" and "shredding the Constitution". Is that what's happening now? The Inquisition? Really?

Look, if you guys want to ban same sex marriages then I suggest you start the petition to amend the Constitution. Obviously the laws that various states have tried to pass to ban it did so without determining if they were constitutional or not. Do it the way it was intended. Don't take your frustration out of the folks that interpret the law. I think they probably know a tad more about it than you.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:00 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
If God defined it, it cannot be redefined. If God said it, that settles it, whether you like it/believe it or not.
Since there are thousands of different sects of "Christianity" who have all redefined what they believe "The Word of God" says differently, clearly the "Word of God" is NOT settled.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:19 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Her Christian conversion is a more recent event.

Davis, an Apostolic Christian, says her commitment to her faith came after she found "a message of grace" four years ago when she went to church following the death of her mother-in-law.
advertisement

"I am not perfect. No one is," she said in her statement. "But I am forgiven and I love my Lord and must be obedient to Him and to the Word of God."

Kim Davis, Kentucky Clerk Blocking Gay Marriages, Has Had Her Own Marital Strife - NBC News
The "recently converted" with a past history of "sinful living," are always the most judgmental and hypocritical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies