Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2015, 08:21 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They elected her and now they must suffer.

Actually doesn't sound like a bad person but on this issue she is dead wrong and she should be held accountable. Why these people waste so much time on issues that have no effect on them is beyond me.

I wonder if she withheld new marriage licenses for adultery, there had to be at least one in the county.
She is probably good for local business with all the media attention.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:22 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,228,587 times
[quote=momonkey;41106889]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
For starters, all of the art, music, schools, hospitals, universities, and charitable organizations it has inspired. All of those people can't have been seeking to harm others.

Personally, I think the slavish devotion to federal oversight and power shared by so many political progressives constitutes the most insidious theological threat to Americans. The Supreme Court is coming to resemble the Inquisition more and more every day. Nine black robes, appointed for life, subject to no regulations or earthly power, handing down their edicts...[/quote]

That is what the statists love about it!
Bet you love those black robes when decisions like Hobby Lobby go the other way.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:23 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Actually, according to her Bible, she is forgiven.
Then her bible can forgive her for issuing marriage licenses to gay couples.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:44 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
"A Kentucky county clerk has appealed a judge's decision to put her in jail for refusing to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

Attorneys for Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis officially appealed the ruling on Sunday. The three page motion does not include arguments as to why Davis should be released but amends Davis' earlier appeal of the judge's order."

Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis Appeals Contempt Ruling

Old 09-06-2015, 09:49 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
While it is required that "every soul be subject unto the higher powers", the Bible also goes on to say: "For there is no power but of God; the powers that be are ordained of God".....and further goes on to say, "For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same. For he is a minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid, for he beareth not the sword in vain; for he is a minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil".

With that being said, it's clear that this chapter is talking about people who have been appointed by God (meaning He thinks them worthy of serving an office/position)and are instructed to conform themselves in alignment with His will. The "minister" (or servant) is the authority put in place to punish those who do wrong. Since this authority has been ordained and appointed by God, as the Scripture states, this person must do what is right by God and by those who are obedient and conscious of the law, meaning they are not to use what "power" has been given to them to do what is contrary to God, nor are they to inflict sufferings on those who point or speak out their contrariness. When those in authority do this, they are now considered to be unqualified for their position and are no longer a help to those they serve but a hindrance.

I'm in NO WAY saying homosexuals are evil; the act of homosexuality, however, is contrary to God. I'm NOT CONDONING anyone to disregard the law. We all know that in this country it has been deemed unconstitutional to ban homosexual marriage. We all must acknowledge that because it is the law; man's law, not God's. That includes me as well. However, I, like other Believers and Christians who worship God in Spirit and in Truth, know the moral landscape our this country and our society has shifted, and that man has attempted to justify his desires by making practices into "laws". Yes, as a citizen of this country, I am aware of the Constitution. I'm aware that not every authority in this country has been Divinely appointed nor do all authorities align with God's Word. But I don't have to agree or acknowledge that which is contrary to God and if I choose, I have the right to speak out against it and stand firm on the Bible and my faith. It is my responsibility as a Believer to remain patient and to love all of God's people, but also to commend and uplift and encourage those who do what is in alignment with God. I'm mindful of the Constitution, yes, but as a Believer and as a member of the Body of Christ, the moral compass of my faith is not the Constitution, but it is the Word of God. If God defined it, it cannot be redefined. If God said it, that settles it, whether you like it/believe it or not.
How is it contrary to god if he made all of us. If it's your belief that god made us then he made us a diverse group. Maybe it's all a test how we handle diversity. Most of you would fail

Old 09-06-2015, 10:28 PM

34,064 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And what of the hatred thrown at the citizens of Rowan county that simply wanted a marriage license?

As for the clerk, she engaged, and lost on all appeals. She can now resign, or allow her clerks to issue marriage licenses, and then she will be free to go. She alone holds the keys to her cell.
Correct. She made the decision to have herself jailed , just like a petulant child.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:31 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman7 View Post
but as a Believer and as a member of the Body of Christ, the moral compass of my faith is not the Constitution, but it is the Word of God. If God defined it, it cannot be redefined. If God said it, that settles it, whether you like it/believe it or not.
Christ also said render onto Caesar the things which are Caesar's. To put it in language you might understand - gay marriage is now Caesar's law - the law of the land. If you cannot honor that, like Moses - leave the land.

In the United States, your religious beliefs are of absolutely no relevance to the public.

This clerk is working in a public capacity serving the citizens of her county who are PAYING her inflated salary.

You - and she - should not take a job or accept a salary from Caesar's institutions which require you to act contrary to your personal religious beliefs.

And, if you are already employed and the laws are changed and you can no longer, in good conscience, perform the daily tasks assigned to this position - YOU RESIGN. You do NOT inflict - have absolutely NO RIGHT to inflict - those beliefs on others or to refuse to perform the duties of the job for which you were hired - because of your beliefs.

Further - it is beyond presumptuous for you - or anyone - to believe YOU are the final arbiter of what is the Word of God.

And, lastly, why - if we are all God's creatures - and the sexual practices of gays/lesbians/transgenders are such abominations - are these people born in such huge numbers? Or, are they especially chosen and afflicted by God in order to serve a higher purpose? If so, what might that be?

Last edited by Ariadne22; 09-06-2015 at 11:02 PM..

Old 09-07-2015, 12:11 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Correct. She made the decision to have herself jailed , just like a petulant child.
Or a principled moralist. Take Thoreau, for example. He had this to say:

"Must the citizen ever for a moment, or in the least degree, resign his conscience to the legislator? Why has every man a conscience then? I think that we should be men first, and subjects afterward. It is not desirable to cultivate a respect for the law, so much as for the right. The only obligation which I have a right to assume is to do at any time what I think right."

And, having been imprisoned after an act of civil disobedience, he added:

"The State never intentionally confronts a man’s sense, intellectual or moral, but only his body, his senses. It is not armed with superior wit or honesty, but with superior physical strength. I was not born to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest."

Old 09-07-2015, 12:18 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
One significant difference between Thoreau and Davis - Thoreau never ordered other people to act or think as he did.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:44 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
One significant difference between Thoreau and Davis - Thoreau never ordered other people to act or think as he did.
Interesting. Has Davis been proselytizing? All I've seen is her being confronted by a crowd of verbally abusive neatniks, her throwing up her hands, and her retreating to her presumably private office. I don't recall her encouraging anyone else fo join her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies