Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 05:48 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
And let me explain to you. There are innumerable building with helipads on top. If one required the space for one it would be there. Particularly not a problem on cubic buildings. And they need not even support the weight of a big copter, who for this purpose does not even need to land.

The clever engineers simply do not locate antenna where a helicpopter might need to land. Perhaps this will help you understand the concept.
If you would like to bring your photos in to this century.

The clever engineers have discovered it's TOO DANGEROUS to land helicopters that high due to not being able to control the helicopter. If it were easly, all tall buildings would have helipads. They don't.

They cannot control the helicopters due to the heat and flames and high winds.

I suggest you do yourself a favor and research the subject and stop making yourself look like a twelve year old.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:49 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,475,658 times
The late Hunter Thompson penned an article on 9/12/2001 that stated, in part:

Quote:
The towers are gone now, reduced to bloody rubble, along with all hopes for Peace in Our Time, in the United States or any other country. Make no mistake about it: We are At War now -- with somebody -- and we will stay At War with that mysterious Enemy for the rest of our lives.

It will be a Religious War, a sort of Christian Jihad, fueled by religious hatred and led by merciless fanatics on both sides. It will be guerilla warfare on a global scale, with no front lines and no identifiable enemy.

This is going to be a very expensive war, and Victory is not guaranteed -- for anyone, and certainly not for anyone as baffled as George W. Bush. All he knows is that his father started the war a long time ago, and that he, the goofy child-President, has been chosen by Fate and the global Oil industry to finish it Now. He will declare a National Security Emergency and clamp down Hard on Everybody, no matter where they live or why. If the guilty won't hold up their hands and confess, he and the Generals will ferret them out by force.
Link to full piece: ESPN.com: Page 2 : Fear & Loathing in America

Old 09-12-2015, 06:00 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,898,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
The late Hunter Thompson penned an article on 9/12/2001 that stated, in part:

We are At War now -- with somebody -- and we will stay At War with that mysterious Enemy for the rest of our lives.

Link to full piece: ESPN.com: Page 2 : Fear & Loathing in America

^^^ Ever read 1984?

Old 09-12-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
A longtime friend and former coworker was driving along 395 in Arlington, Virginia on 9/11. He is one of numerous eyewitnesses who saw American Airlines Flight 77 hit the Pentagon.

Not that it means anything to you, I know.

Where is the plane and occupants? You friend saw the E-4B that was flying around before and afterwards. One was in NYC as well and can be seen in videos of that day in both cities.

New Details About The 9/11 Mystery Plane | 911Blogger.com

If you don't like this site there are several more; Google the fact.

New Details About The 9/11 Mystery Plane

Old 09-12-2015, 06:18 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,036,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
The picture is labelled 1963. Did you miss that. Whcih merely shows how to allow a helicopter to land on a building was known a long time ago. If you wished helicopter access you would have no antenna where the helicopter was to land. The smoke showed a relatively gentle breeze and blocked only one side of the building.

They did not equip the building for such an escape and in doing so condemned 100s of people to die. And the argument is that it was very unlikely to ever be necessary, would have cost a lot of money and may have proven unworkable. However with 20/20 hindsight it would have been a nice capability to have.

I don't see new skyscrapers with the capability either though I don't believe any building using the same structural approach will be built.
Obviously, landing a heli is not that easy if 5 people died and the helipad was closed.

Gentle breeze? You certainly didn't see what I saw. The upper floors and observation deck were often closed to to high winds. People would get seasick and furniture had to be bolted to the floor. The smoke and the flames created air conditions not favorable for helicopters. You didn't notice that none of them got very close?

There's no way to get close to this.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:20 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
If you would like to bring your photos in to this century.

The clever engineers have discovered it's TOO DANGEROUS to land helicopters that high due to not being able to control the helicopter. If it were easly, all tall buildings would have helipads. They don't.

They cannot control the helicopters due to the heat and flames and high winds.

I suggest you do yourself a favor and research the subject and stop making yourself look like a twelve year old.
Actually up until last year every tall building in Los Angeles had a helipad.

The argument is made in the NIST report on 9/11 that it would have been difficult to manuever helicopters under those conditions. But more telling is the view that even if they could have there were too many people to be evacuated in the time that was available.

The LA argument is more of the sort that there are better techniques (and that it leads to ugly architecture - a more potent argument in LA). Though the WTC would tend to be a proof they don't really work either. dThey also point out there has only been one successful rescue from a building fire in LA...though the fire chief at the time remarked they could have saved hundreds if it had been needed.

So perhaps you might take your own advice and cease writing about things where your knowledge does not get to that of a "twelve year old".

Old 09-12-2015, 06:21 PM

27 posts, read 25,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
Wow. I looked in the History forum and the New York City forum, thinking SURELY there must be a place on City-Data to say:

"I remember that day.

"Let us never forget how many innocent victims were murdered that day. And especially let us remember and salute the first responders who gave their lives trying to save people they didn't know."

It's been 14 years. I didn't know anyone who died in New York or DC or in the field in PA, but I still can't think about this day without overwhelming sadness and horror and anger. And I think about it much more often than just the anniversary.

So what about you? Do you even acknowledge this anniversary any more? Or is it too long ago to matter? If you were under 10 at the time, does 9/11 resonate at all for you?

And please, if I've just missed the right place to reply with a tribute, head me in the right direction.
I remember it like this. A bully got punched in the face for meddling in other peoples business. And what's worse it is for purely financial gain. Nobody likes a bully.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:27 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,475,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post

Where is the plane and occupants? You friend saw the E-4B that was flying around before and afterwards.
No. He, along with dozens of other eyewitnesses, saw an American Airlines commercial airliner. Another good friend of mine was a senior enlisted USAF medical type stationed at Andrews. He spent some "quality time" on site at the Pentagon picking up bits and pieces of what human remains were left after the fire.

You're welcome to believe anything you want, but I'll take their accounts of what they actually experienced over any tinfoil BS.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
… and any day now … the jack-booted blue helmet thugs will arrive in black helicopters in your neighborhood not to seize all the guns, but to round up all the tinfoil, so people can no longer make hats to protect themselves from Guv'Mint mind rays ...

Have you ever in your life seen tin foil? Unless you work with it, your answer is no. Tin wouldn't work anyway. We are all bombarded with mind rays 24/7/365 as is. How does Satellite TV work? Weather or communications satellites? Sorry pallie, they already hit us.

BTW...the black copters fly around too often.

You folks keep believing what the media tells you....when you start thinking for yourselves you will know the truth.

Until then keep believing it only happens in other countries the USA controls.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:43 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,809,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Obviously, landing a heli is not that easy if 5 people died and the helipad was closed.

Gentle breeze? You certainly didn't see what I saw. The upper floors and observation deck were often closed to to high winds. People would get seasick and furniture had to be bolted to the floor. The smoke and the flames created air conditions not favorable for helicopters. You didn't notice that none of them got very close?

There's no way to get close to this.

Winds at the height of the top of the building were in the 10 to 20 mph range which is well inside the the sort of winds that can be dealt with by a helicopter. And they are sufficient to mostly keep the smoke off the top of the building...as can plainly be seen in the pictures shown.

You obviously have little time in helicopters. They easily fly into those sorts of conditions. Go try one of the helicopter tours of Hawaii or Grand Canyon and you will routinely fly in more robust conditions. Part of the tourist trip.

Why don't you give this up. You may be up to "who is buried in Grant's Tomb" but this is well past what you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies